PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio

Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:41 pm

airtight

Murray Goodwin has a Wikipedia entry.
Another Stawell winner declaring he's off to the Olympics. You would think they would learn after Stubbs said he was going to London 2012 to run in the 200m. At 28, Goodwin won't be going to Rio. Many younger, better 400 runners going around than him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Goodwin_(athlete)

2 Re: Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Some times this comment about Olympic ambitions can be misconstrued. I remember Steve Brimacombe was ridiculed by Gary Honey (among others) for having Olympic ambitions.

It wasn't Steve who came out and declared that he'd like to go to the Olympics. A certain journalist put the question to him, post the 1991 Stawell Gift - "Do you  want to go to the Olympics?"

Brimma responded like any 19 year old lad - "Yeah, I'd love to go to the Olympics".....but Steve did add that he had a long way to go.

Unfortunately it didn't stop Honey bagging him in a newspaper article suggesting Brimma would have been beaten by Carl Lewis, with Lewis 5m behind scratch. In the 1991 Stawell Gift final, Brimma recorded 11.93secs off 6.75m. Completely ludicrous to think that anyone, especially someone with the credentials of Honey, would argue that Lewis could give Brimma 11.75m start over 125m on the grass track of Stawell, but I reckon Honey had an agenda in respect to Brimma's coach - Jim Bradley.

The funny thing was a University student who had a penchant for maths had calculated that at the 115m mark, Lewis would be so far behind Brimma he would have to be running in excess of 60kmh for the last 10m to catch him.

The upshot was Brimma did go to the 1996 Olympics and ran the ninth fastest time in the 200m semi finals to miss the final by one spot.

But getting back to the original comment - We don't know the context with which Goodwin made known his Rio ambitions, he may well have been just answering a question.  

3 Re: Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:28 am

tasmanian

I think that even if misquoted in the press, that Murray Goodwin is capable of being an Olympian.
A classic example of a mature age sprinter is Andrew McManus who had years before won Stawell and then made the Olympics as a Relay runner in 2004 at the age of 33.
There have been some exceptional Stawell Gift winners who represented Australia such as John Dinan, Chris Perry, Dean Capobianco, Steve Brimacombe, Josua Ross and Andrew McManus and let us not forget the runner up in Rob Ballard who also represented us. An interesting fact is that Capo, Dinan and Brimma are at no 2, 3 and 4 respectively, on the all time list of Australian best 200 metres times.

4 Re: Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:35 am

BG

Brimma actually ran the 7th fastest semi time at the 96 Olympics, Youngy...just jagged the wrong semi. Linford Christie didn't make the semis, so it wasn't exactly a soft year (world record got set in the final).

5 Re: Goodwin on Wikipedia - Going to Rio on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Biggsy

Full credit to anyone mature or not to have Olympic ambitions. Incredible amount of work required. Virtually no chance of any significant financial insentive. Clearly loves the sport to death. Good luck Mr Goodwin, cant see anything below the age of 35 being a barrier.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum