PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Murray Goodwin wins Stawell Gift

Murray Goodwin wins Stawell Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Murray Goodwin wins Stawell Gift on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:00 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/athletics/murray-goodwin-wins-stawell-gift-20150406-1mf8uo.html

Murray Goodwin wins Stawell Gift

John Salvado
The Age
Date April 6, 2015

STAWELL - Having drawn inspiration from the sporting success of his father and his mates to become a Stawell Gift champion, Murray Goodwin is now eyeing the Rio Olympics.

It's been quite some rise for a runner who gave athletics away for several years in his mid 20s before deciding in early 2014 to give it one more serious crack.

It paid big dividends on a cold, wet Easter Monday at Central Park, as Goodwin powered away to win the Gift in 12.10 seconds off a mark of 6.5m, well clear of fellow pre-event favourite Luke Houlihan (12.26), who never recovered from an early stumble.

Three-time finalist Brendan Matthews was third in 12.37.

Goodwin is coached by Brett Robinson, a two-time Gift finalist who also masterminded Mitchell Williams-Swain's Stawell triumph four years ago.

After Goodwin reached the semis last year, Robinson was convinced he had another Gift winner on his hands.

Now Robinson reckons he has a potential Olympic 400m relay runner in the making.

"We'll sit down now and try and have a look at how that goes," said the 28-year-old Goodwin.

"Obviously something like that takes a lot of planing and preparation and we've got to put down some steps toward that now.

"We will evaluate the possibility.

"Something like a major championship is definitely a goal for me."

Goodwin's father Shane is a former Australian 800m champion, who has long been a source of inspiration.

The Queensland teacher's friendship with Beijing Olympics 400m representative Dylan Grant goes all the way back to primary school.

"I saw some mates of mine who had gone on to do things," said Goodwin.

"I felt that at the time I had shown enough potential to try and emulate some of the feats that they had achieved.

"I really used that as motivation, to say if they were good enough then I certainly thought I was as well."

If any further motivation was needed for Goodwin, it came on Monday morning on a pre-race walk around the Stawell town centre.

"I was just looking at some of those winners' plaques and one of our group members made a joke that it could be your's today," he said.

"It's such a prestigious thing."

Australia's fastest boy Jack Hale was run out in the semi-finals after clocking 12.51 off the backmark of 2.25m.

Last edited by youngy on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

2 Re: Murray Goodwin wins Stawell Gift on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:02 am

youngy

Admin
Admin

Gold Coast schoolteacher Murray Goodwin takes out prestigious Stawell Gift foot race

By MICHAEL SAUNDERS
Gold Coast Bulletin
April 06, 2015

GOLD Coast schoolteacher Murray Goodwin is now $40,000 richer after winning the prestigious Stawell Gift foot race today.

The Varsity Lakes physical education teacher was one of the favourites throughout the famous event and cruised through to the final with a 6.5m handicap.

In the final race, Goodwin did nothing wrong to storm home in first place with 12.10 seconds ahead of race favourite Luke Houlihan (12.27).

Before the race Goodwin was confident he could go all the way in the final.

‘To win it would be just a dream come true.”

The win marked an amazing return to the world of athletics for Goodwin, who quit the sport 10 years ago to play soccer.

He played for the now defunct Gold Coast Stars in the Queensland Soccer League before turning his focus to completing his university degree.

It was not until 2013 that the 28-year-old decided he would make his return. ‘When I played soccer the strength in my game was definitely my speed,” Goodwin said.

‘I felt like there were a few things I hadn’t explored and I didn’t want to die wondering.” Goodwin made his return to athletics when he emerged from relative obscurity to make the semi-finals of last year’s Stawell Gift. Since then the former Surfers Paradise Apollo player has teamed up with renowned beach sprint coach Brett Robinson with a 12-month focus on winning this year’s event.

‘We felt like there was some promise after last year when I was coming off a hamstring strain,” Goodwin said.

‘We talked about the commitment factor and how these things don’t come around easily.

‘Brett (Robinson) asked me if I was willing to do the work needed to win and we just went from there.”

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum