PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Ringwood Gift

Ringwood Gift

Who wins Ringwood?

27% 27% [ 22 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
7% 7% [ 6 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
4% 4% [ 3 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
15% 15% [ 12 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
4% 4% [ 3 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
21% 21% [ 17 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
2% 2% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 82

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ringwood Gift on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Mex

Last gift before the big one. After some great running at Bendigo, who are the chances?

2 Re: Ringwood Gift on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Dmac

No pull for Stevens after Bendigo. He is my tip. Maybe I'll tip a correct back to back winner this week.

3 Re: Ringwood Gift on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 am

Baltimore Jack

Stevens ran a massive PB of 46.4. Can't believe he keeps 4m. But good on him for competing in the Pro's.
He could easily stop running with VAL and concentrate on making the Worlds 400 relay team.

4 Re: Ringwood Gift on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

OldandSlow

Are the voting buttons for only a few athletes working?

5 Re: Ringwood Gift on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 pm

GLPR

Plenty will wait for Stawell. Stevens will win off his generous mark. The votes for Cohen and Rosen and Maurer and Phelan are ridiculous

6 Re: Ringwood Gift on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:45 pm

OldandSlow

GLPR - you were a little more direct than I dared be...Cohen's a semi regular, Rosen has only run 3-4 400m this season, Maurer dabbles in it and Phelan none from memory.

7 Re: Ringwood Gift on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:27 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Wow....4m is generous Shocked .....Ever tried winning a 400m off 4m when the limit is 50m plus? It's no easy task. I can't recall it happening too often.

4m is about right given the handicaps for the rest of the field. It will take a massive run to win off 4m.

PS: Gee, I reckon its' been 30 years since a runner of this calibre won the Ringwood Gift.   cheers  

8 Re: Ringwood Gift on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:41 am

Dmac

I'm pretty sure he won it last year. So maybe only 1 year since? Razz

9 Re: Ringwood Gift on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:22 am

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Its going to be special to watch - even if he possibly comes up a little short - the time will be sizzling.

Given the times he has now been running - he has improved stacks since his amazing easy win at Rye.

The frontmarkers may possibly go out too hard - given they know what is coming from the back???

10 Re: Ringwood Gift on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Mex

Last Gift for the season before we move to Channel 7 for Stawell. Congratulations to everyone who has won a gift this year and good luck for those hoping to strike gold at Easter. This week we move to the penalty free (insert a number of sub clauses). It would seem that it may be a race in 3 for the gift according to the poll. Amazing that the favourite is off only 4m, but such is his quality that he could probably win off less this week. On to the chances

Luke Stevens 4m (20 votes) - Poll favourite and why not. Recently won the Vic champs, ran a very good race at Bendigo and meets many of the runners from the final better off AND gets to do it all on a rubber track which could allow him to really fly home. Dion Paul, who ran 3rd at Bendigo off 26m has only gone up 1m to Stevens 4m. I tell you what, this final will definitely be one to watch (as previously mentioned). If Stevens does not win, he will be thereabouts right on the line.

Brett Maurer 32m - Leigh Phelan 32m (12 votes) - I am not sure about these votes. I do not remember Maurer doing much damage over the course of the season. I would think that he will find the pace too much. Phelan has shown that his speed work was great by winning two gifts on the trot, including Bendigo. Has he focused on a longer distance now? Is he a chance in the 300m at Stawell? I am not sure about either, but I would be happy with his season. Is is possible that some stable mates are voting for each other to keep the poll interesting?

Justin Cohen 45m / Timothy Rosen 45m (15 votes) - Cohen has been running well without fully extending himself this season. Ran 47.5 in his heat and 47.3 in his semi at Bendigo. Back up 5m, but to me that still puts him a couple of metres behind Stevens. Welcome back ROSEN! Maybe I should call him Cotter? After his second place last week in the gift and win in the 70m, can he step it out to the 400m. If he has been trying to improve over the sprints as much as we are led to believe, I would find it strange to consider him a chance for the Ringwood Gift after his recent success? I would think that he will be now turning his attention to the 200m where he should be a chance of at least making the final.

Good luck everyone

11 Re: Ringwood Gift on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:52 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Youngy, surely you are not serious with this suggestion "4m is about right given the handicaps for the rest of the field. It will take a massive run to win off 4m."

Are you saying that one athlete's mark should be determined by other athlete's marks?

I would have thought that we should never take this into account because it immediately involves presumptions about other athletes capabilities, rather than the reality of their performances.

If we accepted your premise, then guys off 30s and 40s can make the same argument as you have made to justify getting more meters, ie. Jeez, look at that Stevens guy. He wins everything. I don't win anything. 4m is generous, I need more meters to be competitive against him.

And the snowball will keep rolling down the hill picking up more and more meters.

(P.S. this comment is nothing to do with Stevens' mark, but rather the principle behind the allocation of marks)

12 Re: Ringwood Gift on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:37 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
You come up with some pretty odd comments at times Dizzy, but gee you are taking things way out of context with your take on my analysis. It had nothing to do with what others have achieved or whether an athlete's mark should be determined by others.

I just felt the Stevens mark is relative given the 'landscape' in the 400's.

How else you can one analyse a mark if you do not compare it to the marks of others? You can be running as well as you ever have and think you have a great mark and about to win, but in the context of the race, if others have better marks and running just as well, you are a just another contender.

It's my view, Stevens has the mark to be well in contention but in the context of the Ringwood Gift, where the stakes are generally pretty high (and a class up from Rye), it is relative to the field. It (4m) is not generous. The only reason it has been made to look generous to some is the outstanding performances by Stevens at Bendigo and the State Champs.

Too often we focus on one athlete performing outstanding things while ignoring those flying under the radar waiting for the race they want to win.  

But it only takes one to emerge from the pack and 'scoot' away early and put it beyond the backmarkers.

You live in a fantasy land Dizzy if you believe coaches and athletes don't think an athlete's mark can be affected by the marks of others. Just for the record, THE most popular reason for querying a mark is that it is not competitive against runner A, B, C, D, etc.

Handicappers do not adjust marks purely based on the marks of others; but when analysing a field it is a factor in determining the competiveness of an athlete.

13 Re: Ringwood Gift on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

luke stevens run at Bendigo did not receive the accolades it deserved.

best of my knowledge professional record was 46.9 of course you had to win to be regognised with that time.

Bendigo runs 46.48 on grass and passing runners going extra ground

state run 400 on tartan same time 46.48 measured distance no extra dist to run

stands to reason that all of his runs from now on the cynthetic tracks should be quicker than 46.48 possibly breaks 46.0

14 Re: Ringwood Gift on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 am

Graeme Lebroy

Cant see how Stevens wins on the back of 2 runs the night before at Lakeside. His 4m is back 2 Dizzy so he has been "pulled" consistently with most Bendigo finalists.

Cohen couldn't beat three old stagers in the 550 final last week so I cant see how he could beat them here on similar marks (or if he would want to given winning this might impact 550 marks at Stawell).

Maurer ran 53 at Vic Masters so he must have been pulling up shockingly if he can win Ringwood off that...

Phelan is a definite Stawell 300 chance...some merit to picking him.

I am surprised Dion Paull is not the obvious favourite.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum