PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!!

Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 am

Hubbaup

It would great to see the Little fella be given a go at an Historic Big Gift Threepeat. Maybe no more then a 2m pull to give him 10.25m an outside show of the final. What do we think ?? What do we expect the pull to be ??

2 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 am

Trackstar

You serious? Talking him up like he's Capobianco!
He can have a go at Keilor, so long as he comes back to a mark nearer athletes who haven't won a classic Gift before.
Good on him for making the most of being on the limit for Albury and Ballarat. But it would be sad for the sport if Mair won this week. Would indicate the standard was at an all time low.

3 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:43 am

cantrun

Would have thought the standard of the Ballarat final was reasonable... He has run a good time to win it from his mark , and it seems there is no chance he could do it off 10 this week... a final at best. Some handy runners entered this week, should be interesting. Good luck to Mair if he could do it, but the odds would be enormous

4 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Baltimore Jack

Unless Ballarat is non penalty, Mair's Gift winning days are over. Good athletes just behind him now.
My tip is Daniel Steinhauser. Gave Mair 5.75 at Albury and got closer than anyone at Ballarat who is running at Keilor.
Also Look out for an interstater to go well.

5 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:53 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Ah I think everybody was just having a bit of fun after the double gift wins- I don't think too many ppl were actually being serious about the 3peat

6 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Downesy

It was awesome to see the "old man" win his 2nd one in a row, and 2 fantastic sashes they are! Massive congrats to Craig and Norm. Very jealous that my body won't allow me to line up against him in the sprints any more. I know Craig's had his fair share of injuries, and I admire his tenacity in over coming them and getting back to sprinting so well.

7 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:04 am

Runfast

Trackstar wrote:You serious? Talking him up like he's Capobianco!
He can have a go at Keilor, so long as he comes back to a mark nearer athletes who haven't won a classic Gift before.
Good on him for making the most of being on the limit for Albury and Ballarat. But it would be sad for the sport if Mair won this week. Would indicate the standard was at an all time low.

Couldn't agree more. Pull him back far enough so he is out of contention IMO. Surely the other finalists from his past two wins would like to see someone else have the opportunity.
If he finals again this week then he has pulled the wool over handicappers eyes. No natural improvement would allow you to be competitive by now with our penalty process with prize pools as big as he has now twice won in.
You've had your time in the light young man. Win again so soon and you'll lose athletes to other options I would say.
Congrats to him and his team

8 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:23 am

cantrun

Can't imagine runners changing distances or quitting the sport because a bloke is still competitive after copping a 4mt pull. Tancredi could easily win his 3rd this week... and good luck to him if he does. If he has gotten himself fit enough then he deserves it. Pretty sure no one quit after Ross nearly won 3 stawell sashes

9 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 am

Trackstar

Hopefully Paul Tancredi doesn't win this week. That''s not a knock on Paul. He's had an incredible run with mid range marks. He showed what he could do when he ran 12.04 off 8.75 at Stawell.
Bu even in his prime he needed marks 7.50 and upwards to be competitive.
Surely our sport has not deteriorated in standard that a 33yo Tancredi off 6.25 can win a major Gift?
He has won Keilor twice, Burramine, Rye Wangaratta - the lowest off a mark of 7.50 at Wang. I love watching Paul compete. He's such a gutsy , big occasion performer. But with those wins in the bag, is it not time for someone else to have a chance? I want to see someone who has never won a decent gift, enjoy for the first time what Paul has enjoyed 5 times.

If Paul wins, there's many runners who should be having a good hard look at themselves.

10 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:48 am

Hubbaup

Good luck to Mair and Tancredi you gotta strike when the irons hot and if the other guys are sitting back for something bigger then good luck to them as well. I think these two vets will get there next chance in the Gift Winners Gift because they've earnt a lane in that for sure

11 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 am

Hubbaup

It's funny how Luke Stevens can win 11 odd races and we all get around him but a couple of Vets win a couple and we never wanna see em in a final again.

12 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:23 am

Trackstar

I though the Over 35's race were there for runners who wanted to stay in the sport but were past their best?

Luke Stevens has only won one Gift and was forced to do that from behind the novice mark.
He didn't even get to have a crack at a decent Gift off the novice before he was pulled back.

If I had my way I would bring in a maximum limit of 11.0m across all major Gifts of a first prize of $5,000 or more.  Classic Races should be the bastion of the better athletes. Plenty of smaller Gifts for the battlers, but if you can't win a major Gift off 11.0m, then you shouldn't be running in them.
Not a coincidence the word CLASS are the first five letters in Classic.

13 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:27 pm

cantrun

So a guy like Shane Ezard didn't deserve to win Albury.... ? These sort of guys earn their marks, get into PB shape and snatch a classic race. That's what makes pro running so interesting. So what limit should Stawell be? 8? 5? Older blokes like Phelan, Pete O'dwyer, Rod Matthews are great for the sport... I'd love to see a Foley or Rob lehmann get up and win a big one as much as I love seeing the red fly through on the line like Ross did.

14 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Trackstar

Your rant is stupid, cantrun. for any number of reasons.

Stawell limit is 10.0m. That's fair. But all other CLASSICS should be 11.0
POD runs off 10.50 so he is still inside the limit for a Classic except Stawell. He accepts that, he can still win the vets race at Stawell.

In your opinion.........So let's have no limits so these old guys & co can run til their 70's?
But seriously if not for the two interstate backmarkers at Ballarat, it may as well have been Maribyrnong. Ballarat are wasting their time putting up 8k for first.

What sets CLASSICS apart are the limits. That's why they attract the best runners.

Sponsors put the money up expecting high quality. The best runners produce the highest quality.
I wouldn't cross the road to watch 40yo blokes run in Gifts off big marks. I'd crawl over hot coals to watch a Gift that has names like Ross, Hale, Bee, Stevens, et al.

15 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Hubbaup

I love watching Ross Hale Carter and Stevens in the big finals don't get me wrong Trackstar but if their not there do we postpone the Big Gifts till they're ready to Rumble. Maybe just have a straight final with all available runners under the handicap of 7 or something ??

16 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Trackstar

Not 7, where ever you pulled that from you can stick it back.

11.0, That's E L E V E N (metres)
with 15 or more heats of good runners from scr to 11 meteres. That's a CLASSIC Gift.
The guys that can run around 11seconds for 100 that run off 5 metres to 9 metres, plus the backies who can run sub 10.7, they're the guys that keep the big Gifts exciting.

Group 2, 3,4 races can have the 14, 18 or 24 limit.

17 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Hubbaup

Cool now Mair and Tancredi
can qualify to run in your Classic Gift now Trackstar seeings that they will fall into your criteria

18 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm

sprintstar

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Some people have such short memories. It was less than a year ago the last time 2 classic gifts were won by the same person in close succession

19 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:53 pm

cantrun

As far as I'm aware, the limit at ballarat has been 12 for at least 20 years???? Trackstar, do you know how many have won it off the limit in that time? 1. Everybody else seems to be happy with the current limits across the distances. Are Camden and Bendigo 400 limits too big too?

20 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:54 pm

cantrun

As far as I'm aware, the limit at ballarat has been 12 for at least 20 years???? Trackstar, do you know how many have won it off the limit in that time? 1. Everybody else seems to be happy with the current limits across the distances. Are Camden and Bendigo 400 limits too big too?

21 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Trackstar

It's only my opinion. just prefer the idea of an better-than-average sprinter winning the Classics.
12m is good, we're only talking 1m.
Why couldn't it have been 12m at Albury?

22 Re: Give Mair a go at a Threepeat !!!! on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:48 pm

Hubbaup

Albury's a Group 1 isn't it ?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum