PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today

Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 pm

floater

http://www.val.org.au/Handicaps.aspx

2 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:12 am

Spiderman

Wow, a few SA runners didn't get any favours from the VAL which isn't a surprise. Innes-Wong and Stangewitz in particular. Surely the handicapper can look at season results so far in the SAAL and work out what they need to be competitive. These boys and others have invested a lot of money to go over with petrol, accommodation, and entries and their race has been run before the gun has gone off? Interstate runners shouldn't have to enter multiple events and essentially pay for a good handicap. Tighten their handicap once they have won something, not before.

3 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Totally agree Spiderman, the Vics were given every chance to make the podium last week at Camden by the SA handicapper, no one can disagree with that.
Looking at some of the SA and QLD Handicaps ,all I can say is they must be scared of the interstate runners or arent getting the right information.

4 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 am

Rookie

Innes-Wong is interesting. What was he off at stawell? Is making the final regardless of where you finish resulting in a pull? I'm genuinely interested if that's the case.
He hasn't won anything this season to my knowledge?

Stangewitz maybe not a known gift runner and hasn't run to many in vic?
Due to that fact though you could probably give him his SA handicap without to much worry I would have thought.
Hopefully someone from SA can step up and take a bit of money home.

5 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Innes-Wong had 8.25m at Ballarat then 8.75 at Bendigo & Stawell.
1.25m penalty for sixth ($1,000) at Stawell - it's a greater penalty than winning a Gift where first prize is about $3500.

If 6th is worth 1.25m, god help those who ran 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th.

He entered Ballarat with the hope of being a contender..... In my assessment of the Ballarat Gift field he has no hope. Fact is Too many HAVES (athletes already with major Gifts to their name) as a result of getting their increments, are now ahead of CIW (a HAVE NOT  Laughing ) in the queue.

That's the VAL way. The HAVES are often closer to their 4th, 5th or umpteenth decent Gift than a HAVE NOT is to his first.

6 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:50 pm

sprintstar

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
VAL changed their start time in their rules this season. So I think you will find CIW pull takes that into account too

Agree on your second point though about repeat winners

7 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 pm

auspro

Last 5 yrs stawell 6th places.

2014 innes-Wong 12.29 off 8.75m. Now 7.25
2013 Eschebach 12.19 off 9.5m. Now 6.75
2012 Steffenson ....
2011 brittain 12.36 off 7.25m. Now 6.0m
2010 Matthews 12.40 off 5.75m. Now 6.5m

From last 5 yrs 6th places at stawell CIW is better off then most

8 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:27 pm

airtight

Think a few of those other Stawells the field was lifted for a class backmarker. eg: Field was lifted 2m for Powell in 2013? No lift for a backie in 2014.
also Brittain 2 finals? Matthews, major race places, PBs since? Need to see what other things have happened?.
Think I'd take Burramine for 5k than run 6th and 1k at Stawell. but that's me.

9 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm

racingmania

One SA has done OK. 11.75 after winning $4800 @ Loxton.

2014 Loxton 120m Gift FINAL
1 Brad Schutz (12.00) $4,800
2 Ryan Hancock (9.25) $1,000
3 Ben Wright (12.00) $500
4 Clay Watkins (2.25) $250
5 Luke Houlihan (7.50) $200
6 James Cibich (5.50) $200
Time: 12.85

10 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:58 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Just for the record, I'm not in the business of whinging about marks per se. I was responding to others who raised Chris I-W.

Protrack avails me the opportunity to explain my view, yeah perhaps vent my frustration and then move on. I rarely ever appeal handicaps.

I think in the last 16 years as a coach I've formally appealed a mark three times. The last one was Dylan Hicks's 70m mark in the VAL about 7 years ago. The mark was just a joke in the scheme of VAL 70m marks at the time. It was way under being competitive. The Appeals Panel rejected the appeal out of hand. The up shot for me was that I was left with little respect for the appeals system as I clearly knew more about the sprinting landscape than the handicapper and the appeals panel. Dylan continued to run in 70's and got run out of heats off his uncompetitive mark and was ultimately lifted a few years later. It just made the appeals panel look stupid for not acknowledging the obvious.

I realised it's futile for me to appeal. Might be OK for others (as I see on the VAL website from the steward's reports) but we would be just wasting everyone's time, especially my own.

Chris I-W will just run from his mark of 7.50m to the best of his ability at Ballarat and hopefully be a tad more competitive the next time he ventures to Victoria for Stonnington & Avondale Heights......

Time to move on & talk about something else. 

11 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:41 pm

youngy I would appeal mark given,your runner deserves an explanation, reason for mark.

7 years ago since you appealed I'm sure that there are different people who may adjudicate

on the merits of appeal.

try vrta to get an explanation

12 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:48 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks bazza, you're fighting city hall; and in my view, it would be a waste of time...time I haven't got right now.

As I said, time to move on.

PS: Will be interesting to see the marks when the rest of the 2014 Stawell finalists start entering.

13 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:50 pm

sprintstar

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Youngy as I posted earlier start time for the 120 has changed and that may be the reason for the pull. I know a lot of VIC runners who find themselves back without even making the Stawell Gift Final

I do enjoy a good vent though! So fire away

14 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
She's right sprintstar.....I guess it does keep the posts on Protrack ticking over and something new to read. There's been a lot of hits today. cheers

15 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Spiderman

SA runners get screwed over majorly. If Innes-Wong entered Something early like Terang, he would of got the same mark of 7.50 and then be on more come Ballarat. Interstate athletes get penalised for entering meets later in the year. Who cares if it's his first run, it should be based on the time of the season. Note to self. . . If you want to do well at Stawell save up $5000 enter every vic meet possible and then I will get the mark I want! It would be just easier if I could give the VAL handicapper $5000 under the table and say "now give me a good mark coz I can't be bothered wasting my time coming across every weekend.

16 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:14 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
VAL has something called OGA (on-going assessment)..........

17 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Spiderman

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

18 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
A lad from QLD ran off 7m at Stawell , got ran out in his heat in a time of 12.642.
Now off 6.5m at Ballarat.
My guess is because hes a beach sprinter no favours given.

19 Re: Ballarat Gift handicaps announced today on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 am

Spiderman

hahahaha! Common sense would suggest if he gets run out in his heat at Stawell in 12.6, just give him his same mark back.  Why pull him 0.5. Like I said if it was Ballarat or be it the first race on the VAL calendar, he would still have 6.5m just doesn't make sense. He has to buy his way back up over 7m, otherwise he gets given 7m at Stawell again and hence gets left behind as others get lifted around him

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum