PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Luke Stevens in running for the Burnie Gift

Luke Stevens in running for the Burnie Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Luke Stevens in running for the Burnie Gift on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:06 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/2792227/luke-stevens-in-the-running-for-burnie-gift/

Luke Stevens in the running for Burnie Gift

By JORDAN ABELL
The Advocate
Dec. 31, 2014

LUKE Stevens only wanted to be one thing growing up in Melbourne and it wasn't a runner.

But ever since the sister of the football-loving tragic asked him to try his hand at athletics, he hasn't looked back.

In his debut season of competitive running last year, Stevens recorded an incredible 11 wins, including victory in the Albury Gift as well as a semi final berth in Australia's richest footrace, the Stawell Gift.

Today the 20-year-old will attempt to trump all of his previous achievements by winning the South Cape Cheese Men's Burnie Gift (120m).

Despite going into the time-honoured event as one of the favourites, Stevens, to start off a mark of 3m, doesn't see himself as a main contender.

"I think every runner in it has equal chance otherwise they wouldn't have entered or have the handicaps they do," Stevens, who made the final last year, said.

"The guys in front of me are really good and there's a couple of runners behind me that are high-quality runners and I wouldn't write them off at all either.

"I look at the program and see all the past winners, their times and the marks they ran off and it says a lot about the quality of runners that this event attracts."

Trained by well-known Victorian coach John Henry, Stevens admitted he even surprised himself "beyond words" such was the bright start to his athletics career.

But any talk of him giving up Aussie rules for good was soon quashed.

"I'd liked to say that I've just delayed footy for a bit to give athletics a crack," Stevens, who has a PB of 10.58s over 100m, said.

Meanwhile, fellow Burnie Gift hopeful Luke Whitney has been pulled 2.25m for today's race after his triumph at Latrobe last Sunday, off 6.75m.

Runner up at Latrobe, Jared Gilroy, has a revised mark of 5.25m.

Victorian Matt Carter (1.25m) will be the backmarker, while South Australia's David Grosse, who was second in Sunday's Bay Sheffield Gift, will no doubt come under the handicapper's attention.

on a punting viewpoint luke had run quickest semi final at Latrobe,losing form in

final itseems a bit harsh penalties for first two pacegetters ,if no big headwind luke should win

youngy

Admin
Admin
Agree Bazza, 2.25m penalty for winning Latrobe seems ridiculous. The runner-up in the Bay Sheffield wins more prize money. Last year Adam Coote went back 0.50m for running 2nd at the Bay winning about $1600 more than the Latrobe winner who was dragged 2m. Consequently Coote smashed them at Burnie off the same mark (9.50) he had at the Bay. Meanwhile the Latrobe Gift winner John Howe went from 7.50 to 5.50.

In my view, if the penalty for Latrobe is a mandatory 2.25m, Luke Whitney should be re-handicapped 1m for Burnie and the rest (1.25) post Burnie.

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Rumours out of Burnie is that there has been some major handicap adjustments just prior to the gift heats

Admin

Admin
Admin
TAL have changed the rules following last year. David Gross is very stiff, he's one year too late. He's copped a 2.0m penalty Off his Burnie mark of 9.25 for his Bay Sheffield 2nd place. He's now running from 7.25m. Seems like a major over reaction to the lack of intelligence that went on last year. Gross is effectively back 3m for a Bay Sheffield 2nd place, putting him out of the contest.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum