PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Penrith Pro Gift - Featuring the Matt Moylan Youth Gift

Penrith Pro Gift - Featuring the Matt Moylan Youth Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NSW

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/matt-moylan-jarryd-haynes-a-guy-i-have-tried-to-copy-it-would-be-incredible-to-replace-him-in-state-of-origin/story-e6freuy9-1227116194458

Matt Moylan: Jarryd Hayne’s a guy I have tried to copy, it would be incredible to replace him in State of Origin

NICK WALSHAW THE DAILY TELEGRAPH NOVEMBER 08, 2014 12:00AM

MATT Moylan is already sleeping in a room that belongs to Jarryd Hayne — so why not wear his NSW Origin jersey too?

Speaking from inside the Australian Test camp this week, Moylan has opened up to The Daily Telegraph about his desire to assume the Blues No. 1 jersey in 2015.

Among the State’s most exciting talents, the 23-year-old fullback is also the new Four Nations roomie of Kangaroo Robbie Farah — the Blues hooker who has long bunked down with Hayne at both State and national level.

But with the Parramatta megastar now in America chasing his NFL dream, Moylan hopes to be catapulted into the role ahead of more experienced NRL stars like Josh Dugan and Brett Stewart.

“Playing for NSW, it’s something I want to achieve next year — definitely,’’ Moylan says. “Being around the guys in this Australian side has been a great learning experience and, for me, Origin is the next step.

“And if it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. But it is definitely the goal.”

Only last week, St George Illawarra star Dugan revealed he would consider switching back to fullback — after finishing last season at right centre — following Hayne’s US announcement.

However, dozens of NRL fans responded to our story on social media to say that it would be Moylan, not Dugan, called into the role by NSW coach Laurie Daley.

Asked about replacing Hayne, the promising Penrith Panther continued: “It would be incredible because he’s actually a guy I have tried to copy.

“Particularly his ability to ball play. Everyone knows he’s a strong runner of the footy, but what I really like is how silky he is with his hands when the ball gets shifted.”

While yet to be used by Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens, Moylan is quickly gaining a huge following in western Sydney — with the gun Panther most recently recruited to spruik the Penrith Pro Gift Carnival sprint race.

Held on December 6, the event is a prelude to the Botany Bay Gift. The junior event will be named the Matt Moylan Gift.

“Which is a real honour,’’ Moylan says. “Athletics, in particular sprinting, was something I did for about five or six years growing up and, to be honest, I’m still trying to improve my speed now.

“And when it comes to that, Jarryd Hayne is one of the guys you watch. Him and Greg Inglis.

“I was also watching a video of rugby league great Ken Irvine not long ago — he wasn’t only sprinter back in the day but held a world record at one stage. So you through to Jarryd and GI today.

“I Know Jarryd has done a fair bit of track and I’d say, judging by his style, Greg has too.”

Moylan also said, regardless of wether he gets any game time during Four Nations, the chance to mix with superstars like Kangaroos skipper Cameron Smith will be of huge benefit to his representative hopes moving forward.

“Coming into the Australian squad has been a great learning experience,’’ he says. “Unbelievable really.

“Representing the Kangaroos has always been a dream of mine and to get onto the field sometime during this series would be great. But regardless, this experience has improved me as a player.”

2 Handicaps available now. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:35 pm

NSW

Handicaps available now:

http://www.nswal.com/penrith-gift/

90m Gift
Matt Carter 2.5
Christian Foster 5
Mitchell Tysoe 5
Dujon Fuzzard 5
Tom Paavola 5
Matthew Lewis 5.25
Tim Eschebach 5.5