PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » ANTI-DOPING SANCTION - ANDREW WILCOX

ANTI-DOPING SANCTION - ANDREW WILCOX

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 ANTI-DOPING SANCTION - ANDREW WILCOX on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 am

sprintstar

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Just noticed this appeared on the VAL homepage today. Anyone with further details? Why did we not hear about this until just now?

"Under the VAL Anti-Doping Policy, the VAL are authorised to publish information once a decision has been handed down by the relevant tribunal with regard to ASADA's register of findings".

Name Sport ADRV Substance
Andrew Wilcox Athletics Presence and use Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)

Two-year sanction 24 November 2010 - 24 November 2012

2 ADADA on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm

awilcox

Well I can tell you why....That's because even I didn't know! I received a letter from ASADA in October informing me that an internal audit had found a matter that needed to be finalised and had been overlooked. Evidently I put in a positive test for DHEA at the World Masters Games in Sydney in 2009 after coming second in the 100m. I only got the letter recently and it states that I had a 2 year bad as a result of this test which is backdated to an event 5 years ago. So my suspension ended years ago and I never was aware I was actually suspended. This is just ludicrous, as is the charge. They tested me at the games, just after I had been in hospital with mononucleosis (Glandular), which I contracted in 2009. I was not even aware that testing was taking place in masters and hence took all medications prescribed at the time. Clearly something came up in this test. Given my terrible performances during this time and even failing to finish some races, these so called performance enhancing drugs clearly where not working. I don't recommend them! My best season was in fact last season, as I am now fully recovered from the mono, which has taken several years.
I have had several tests at World Masters Championships since then (Sacramento 2011 and Budapest 2014), both of which where fine. Second in the 100m in Sydney may sound good, but it wasn't. The guy who beat me there and in the 200m has not beaten again in either distance for the last 3 years.
In the end, athletics is now just a bit of fun for me at my age and if I have to take medications for my health, I will every time. My health far outweighs ASADA's whims, who are clearly an incompetent organisation, who take 5 years to get around to notifying someone!
Anyone who wishes to discuss this with me is welcome to. I may not be around for a bit as I broke my ankle in July. Hopefully I will be back soon.

Andrew Wilcox.

3 Re: ANTI-DOPING SANCTION - ANDREW WILCOX on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Thanks Andrew, your post clarifying this issue is much appreciated. It did seem illogical that a bloke with your long history & impeccable character in the sport would be involved in doping. Puts the whole matter into perspective.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

4 ASADA on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm

awilcox

Thanks for your reply and it s very much appreciated. At 45 years of age, taking performance enhancing drugs is about 25 years to late! I have never cheated and if I had, I certainly wouldn't have ben running 55 seconds!
If I start running 45 again, then you can ask some serious questions. Once again, thanks for the support.

Andrew.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum