PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Over35s Handicapping Issue

Over35s Handicapping Issue

Your opinion of the handicapper's performance in this case:

99% 99% [ 154 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 155

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 am

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
After three years with the SAAL, Damian Nicholls (6m) finally won his first sash when he took out the Over 35's 120m beating home Peter Biggs (12m) and Michael Cassidy (11.5m) in 13.58secs.

In his first race in the over35s.
Won the heat in 13.4.
Won the final in 13.58.
Next fastest time was 13.663 by Biggsy in the final.

2 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 am

SANCHEZ

Why would this be even brought up for a topic of conversation? I see nothing wrong with the above. The winner has given the others a start and a beating. All you have to do is win. In vets races some days you feel good and produce a good one. It's still early in the season and some runners may be better prepared than others. Slow news day in SA.

3 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:07 pm

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I feel for ya Stokesy. Some whipper snapper gives you 16 metres start collects his first sash and denies you your 5th or 6th sash. You can't trust anyone now days.

4 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
well, at this stage it looks like I am clearly needing to be adjusting my expectations.

The current SAAL culture seems to be locked into a non transparent handicapping system, in which it is totally acceptable for a new entrant to easily win a sash and a big money prize.

Perhaps others will join me, but at this stage I remain a lone voice for the SAAL to get into the 20th century (and maybe even the 21st century).

The VAL has a system which would (I believe) not allow this to happen, unless there had been miraculous changes in form.
Perhaps a VAL member would like to comment on this question?

5 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:54 pm

SANCHEZ

Stokesy, I fail to see the issue. The runner has been running for three years and wins his first sash in a vets race. How long do you expect a runner to battle away without any success? Our VAL system has novice marks for all events. When you come into the game you get the novice mark or less. In vets 100's you are eligible for a lift after every run ( due to the fact there aren't as many). In Vets 300's you have to have three acceptable performances to be eligible as there are lot more of these. After that it comes back to good stewarding and handicapping.

6 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
thanks Sanchez.

The issue is:

(a) form is known (three years in SAAL)

(b) handicap given on first race in over35s is such that winning margin is two metres (based on heat time)

(c) every race is supposed to be a competition, but it seems to me this race was a totally predictable result given known form

(d) if winner's form was miraculously improved, that might explain things, but this does not seem to be the case here

(e) if all other runners' form was miraculously impaired, that might explain things, but this does not seem to be the case here

7 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:24 pm

S.hill

Oh he was totally undeserving compared to second placed Biggs and third placed Cassidy.
Because they haven't won any sashes lately. lol!
To be honest you have a small point as to why he had 6 as a known sprinter when cousins a middle distance runner had 5.5m at Henley.
But this is a broken record stokesy.
Let the man have his sash.

8 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Nicholls gets what he is given and good luck to him for it, he made the most of it. Going by facebook his detox has served him well, inspiring me to do more! Without sounding like I'm complaining, I dont understand how, he has 6m and I have 9.25m for the 120m over 35's where the 70m OPEN he has 5m and I have 10.5? The point Stokesy makes is there only needs to be a slight discrepancy, and there are a few to make others ask questions. The question really needs to be made to Thomo!
The opinion from most is 1st go in the over 35's he should have been off 2m and no more than 4m but certainly not 6! Its a relevant discussion given how many are discussing it, including those not in the over 35's, Palmer is no slouch but Nicholls made him look slow! I am sure Thomo will see this and make an appropriate change. The reason for Biggsy coming so close in the final where the others didnt is in my opinion due to his hard work and loss of weight over the past 12-18 months amongst other things, my guess is Biggs is probably about 2 ahead of where he should be. He'll win a couple and come back some more as with Nicholls and everything will be fine. Nicholls of 3.5 and Biggs off 10m and its a close final.

9 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:02 pm

racingmania

If it was so predictable why wasn't something posted about it BEFORE the race?
Great to see someone new on the dais instead of the usual suspects.
Anyway, this is a stupid argument.
Stokesy's poll shows how much of an issue it is.
Time to move on.

10 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:57 pm

I wasnt aware of it until after my heat and seeing the final. Its not my position to know who's on what mark nor anyone else's, a handful would bother, but it is the position of the handicapper to know! The trust is in the handicapper to get it right as best as possible.

11 Re: Over35s Handicapping Issue on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:55 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
This thread is now closed. It is serving no purpose.
If you have a problem with the handicapping please refer it to the SAAL.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum