PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » RIP Max Martin

RIP Max Martin

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 RIP Max Martin on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:24 am

Willo the Whisp

Yesterday I heard the very sad news of the passing of Max Martin. Max was a wonderful man with a heart of gold. He was instrumental in running and maintaining the Marybourough Gift. He ensured that the diversity of entertainment at the event continued and that as many running events were available for all types of athletes and in particular the diversity in the minority events. Max regularly supported the other athletic carnivals and would regularly visit them and enjoy the racing and social environment.
Max will be sadly missed by the pro running community. A true gentleman is now at rest!!
RIP Max.

Nick Fiedler

2 Re: RIP Max Martin on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:11 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Well said Nick.

My family and I are very saddened by this news. Every time we went to Maryborough, Max was amazingly generous and made us feel very welcome.

A massive loss to our sport.

RIP Max Martin.

PY

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

3 Re: RIP Max Martin on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:25 pm

mwebster

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Maxwell “Max” Martin

Max was one of the true gentlemen of many sporting associations throughout Central Victoria whether it be Football, Cricket or Athletics, especially his beloved Maryborough Highland Games that, as we all know, is held on New Years Day each year in Maryborough.

Throughout his life working and living with his loving wife Pat and his family in Maryborough, he was a teacher at the local High School, an active member of the Maryborough Highland Society for over 40 years, a long time secretary of the Games Committee and also a Life Member of the Maryborough Highland Society.

He was a tireless volunteer within the Maryborough community, sitting on many committees and judicial hearings of various sports. “I’m not available” was something that you never heard come out of his mouth.

Max was a board member of the Victorian Athletic League (VAL) for several Years from the mid 1990’s until 2002 and was bestowed the highest honor from the VAL with a Life Membership in 2008. His knowledge of the sport was unmeasured. Not only was he a stalwart of the Games committee in Maryborough, he was often seen at many other athletic carnivals “chewing the fat” with other committee members from these clubs to help them promote themselves within their general community and beyond.

As a youth following in his older brother Alan’s footsteps, Max tried out at the Footscray Football Club and was a regular in the Reserve Grade but could not break into the First Eighteen. Alan was fortunate to be a member of the 1954 Premiership Team. Max was a former Coach of the Avoca FNC in 1960, 61 & 62 and was the Best & Fairest Player in 1960.

Max was also a Journalist for the Maryborough Advertiser for quite some time writing a sports column which was widely read in the district.

He was also known for his playing of the last post on his bugle at the Avoca Anzac and Remembrance Day ceremonies and only stopped this year due to failing health.

The Victorian Athletic League would like to pass on their condolences to Pat Martin and the whole Martin Fraternity.

A good man, a true Gentleman and loyal supporter of the Victorian Athletic League.

RIP Max Martin

(Matthew Webster)

4 Re: RIP Max Martin on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Thanks Matt, Great tribute to a great bloke.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum