PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Capobianco vs Gainsford video

Capobianco vs Gainsford video

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 am

Yeca

Can someone please post the video up somewhere? Youngy?? Heard it was a ripper of a run by cappa. Be great to see as I missed this years coverage on telly.

2 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 pm

SANCHEZ

Capo gave her 14m and beat her comfortably, although she was reported to have had a cold. Capo ran this match race in between the gift semi and the gift final which he'd made from scratch.

3 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
I'm pretty sure I have the 1993 Stawell Gift on video somewhere. I guess the Capobianco v Gainsford race is on the tape.  I need to spend some time going through all the old tapes I've got to see if I can find it. From my vague memory of the event, Capobianco was conceding 12.0m to Mel Gainsford, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

By the way, I was very impressed with Melinda Gainsford-Taylor's work at the Stawell Gift. She's a natural and hopefully she remains part of the commentary team next year.

4 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Yeca

Youngy, it would be great if you could post it for us all to see. Also if you could post his Stawell gift victory and interview etc aswell that would be great!

Simply a phenomenal sprinter and bloke to go with it. Surely the boss is the best of this millennium we have seen on the pro circuit but I pose the question of: the boss vs capo over 120m from scratch at their best.....who wins??? I think at the peak of their powers - capo wins but if they raced every year, the boss would win more then he would lose.

5 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Yeca, I think you could throw Brimma into the mix as well, what a sensational backmarkers race that would be! Any one of them could win, depending on the day, wouldn't even try to put one above the others.

6 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed May 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeca

Phantom, I agree. Brima would def look to pull off an upset if he were in that race. At the peak of their powers though I think capo has the most fire power but if not at his peak, it's anybody's race for sure.

7 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 9:45 am

SANCHEZ

There is great footage on Youtube of Capo and Marsh in the 1993 World Champ 200m final where Capo ran 5th. Led Carl Lewis and Frankie Fredericks into the straight running 20.18 with Marsh running 20.56.

8 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
An interesting aspect of the Cappo & Brimacombe era is that they were coached by the two coaches with the best record in the three grand slams of pro running, when those races were at their peak - the Stawell Gift, Bay Sheffield & Burnie Gifts.

Matt Barber coached Dean Capobianco and has the record for the most grand slam wins - eight.
1990 Stawell Gift - Dean Capobianco
1990 Bay Sheffield - Dean Capobianco
1991 Burnie Gift - Dean Capobianco
1994 Burnie Gift - Shane Hearn
1997 Bay Sheffield - Rod Buchanan
1999 Bay Sheffield - Andrew McManus
2002 Burnie Gift - Darren Rogers
2006 Burnie Gift - Cameron Yorke  

Jim Bradley coached Steve Brimacombe and has seven grand slam Gift winners.
1990 Burnie Gift - Robert Kirsopp
1991 Stawell Gift - Steve Brimacombe
1991 Bay Sheffield - Steve Brimacombe
1993 Bay Sheffield - Ryan Witnish
1995 Stawell Gift - Glen Crawford
2000 Bay Sheffield - Craig Brown
2001 Burnie Gift - Craig Brown

Between 1990 and 2002 inclusive (13 years), Barber & Bradley coached 14 grand slam winners between them. There were only three calendar years in that 13 year period - 1992, 1996 and 1998 where a Barber or Bradley trained athlete didn't win a 'big three' Gift. However in each of those years either Barber or Bradley had the Burnie Gift runner-up. So for 13 consecutive seasons, there was either a Barber or Bradley coached athlete who was in the top two of a grand slam Gift.

Steve Brimacombe (JB) was 2nd in the Burnie Gift
Shane Hearne (MB) was 4th in the Burnie Gift
Steve Brimacombe (JB) was 4th in in the Bay Sheffied (Steve ran 12.28secs to win his Bay Sheff semi - fastest time ever recorded from scratch on Colley Reserve.)

Paul Edmiston (MB) was 2nd in the Burnie Gift

Glen Crawford (JB) was 2nd in the Burnie Gift

It was an extraordinary period, and a special time when pro-running was at its peak with huge fields in all the major Gifts.

BTW....there is only one other man I can think of who has coached seven grand slam gift winners. Anyone care to guess?

9 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 am

depends what time frame

I think fergie speakman leads any other trainer in number of winners in the big three

quoted ,, one runner to mention john mowatt I think won 3 races at burnie on same day

novice 120
burnie gift
?220 or 400 not sure exactly

10 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 12:09 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Good work bazza.

Yep Fergie Speakman had seven winners of the big three Gifts.

Five x Stawell & 2 x Burnie. (None at the Bay)

John Mowat went to the 1974 Burnie Gift carnival as a novice and returned with three sashes - the Burnie Gift, Maiden (Novice) & the 200m.
Not sure about the distance of the maiden, I think it was 90m.

Ferg Speakman set John Mowat for the 1973 Stawell Gift. Mowat (8.00m) won his heat pretty comfortably in 12.1 but he copped the red hot favourite and eventual winner Bernie Moss (10.75m) in the semi final. Moss had won his heat on the Saturday in 11.6 - the only man of the 28 heats to break 12secs.

11 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 pm

WA runner

Wow... some incredible stats!
There is obviously a winning formula somewhere in these coaches programs.
Let's hope some ex-athletes from these training groups take up coaching so they can pass on the advice. Very Happy 

12 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm

WA runner

Another interesting fact - Piero Sacchetta (Josh Ross' coach) & Matt Barber (Dean Capobianco) were both trained by coaching legend Franz Stampfl (Roger Bannister, 4 min mile) back in the 1980's.
Matt discribes Franz as a 'genius'.

13 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeca

Youngy we are all reminiscing on the good times....get on the videos for us!!!
My requests are:
Capo v gainsford
Capo Stawell and bay sheff wins
Brima Stawell win
Glenn Crawford win

Go you good thing youngy!!

14 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Fri May 30, 2014 9:07 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
The 1995 Stawell Gift won by Glenn Crawford should be ready to go tomorrow as I already have that transferred to DVD.

As for the others I will need to transfer them from video tape (VHS), so might take a bit of time.

15 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Fri May 30, 2014 10:13 am

johnnydrama

I have been wanting to see Glenn Crawford's Gift win for ages... 11.79 for 120m off 6.5m on what was said to be a heavy track is unheard of.

This guy doesn't get spoken about a lot considering his outstanding result.

16 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 pm

diamonds

WA runner wrote:Wow... some incredible stats!
There is obviously a winning formula somewhere in these coaches programs.

that or stanozolol

17 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Yeca

What flavour is your haterade? Why not hack into the boss, NA, muhlan, fakiye, davies and alozie while you brought up the topic! Plenty of others getting popped or duckin n dodgin but not running as fast as capo.

Where's the videos at youngy? You're slacking on us lol Basketball

Last edited by Yeca on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Me don't spell so gud)

18 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 am

WA runner

Probably a sign of where diamonds is at...
Glenn Crawford spectacular win at Stawell. His flying speed up there with the best?

19 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeca

WA runner wrote:Probably a sign of where diamonds is at...
Glenn Crawford spectacular win at Stawell. His flying speed up there with the best?

I think at that point in time, yes.

On another note: how good of an athlete was Brima? Stawell, Atlanta (one spot away from oly final), came back from injuries and ran well. Classy runner. Countless minor gift runs that went into folklore.

20 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

diamonds

Certainly a reflection of the WCAL's integrity that the inaugural inductee to their hall of fame is a sanctioned drug cheat.

Yeca's right though, Capo is Australia's fastest known drug cheat.

21 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 am

WA runner

diamonds, still on the hateraide? I believe the Boss holds that title if you wanna go there.
Brimma another classy athlete again with amazing flying speed. 200m WC finalist, very impressive runner and a great bloke!

22 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 am

DanYoung

<span style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore"></span><span style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore"></span>
diamonds wrote:

Certainly a reflection of the WCAL's integrity that the inaugural inductee to their hall of fame is a sanctioned drug cheat.

Yeca's right though, Capo is Australia's fastest known drug cheat.

Yes Diamonds.. Don't worry there are those of us in the West that completely agree. As I am just learning of this induction, all I can assume is that those on the WCAL committee are too young to remember what really happened and are just looking at his athletic/pro running career. Maybe the AFL will take the same approach and induct Ben Cousins to the AFL hall of fame this year...?

23 Re: Capobianco vs Gainsford video on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:37 pm

ZZZZ

<span style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore"></span><span style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore"></span>
WA runner wrote:diamonds, still on the hateraide? I believe the Boss holds that title if you wanna go there.

Technically the Boss isn't the fastest 'known' drug cheat as never tested positive.

Agree DanYoung, I also was unaware of the hall of fame nomination and it does reflect poorly on WCAL and it's credibility. Credit where credit is due and Capo was a great athlete, however I feel that a drug sanction should remove you from receiving such accolades.

Ben Cousins will no doubt get recognised one day, but he never tested positive for performance enhancing drugs (or any drugs for that matter).

WCAL is setting a poor example for future athletes, not matter how fast or what a good bloke Capo was. This really makes such awards lose any value.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum