PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Vets Farce

Vets Farce

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:06 am

DDog

I realise that a lot of people 'bellyache' ahout handicapping but the vets 100m which saw the winner record 10.6 was farcical. That was after the same guy walked in last year. Very poor handicapping.

2 Re: Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

SANCHEZ

The handicapper had pulled him 2.5m from last year and he still ran 2m quicker than the previous year! It is very hard to handicap someone that improves 4.5m off a winning mark. Just goes to prove the danger of lifting runners who aren't fit. Rick Dunbar would tell you to go away and get in shape before he'd even consider moving you.

3 Re: Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:57 am

johnnydrama

I think it's an amazing effort to win 3 Stawell sashes in 2 years. If you listened to his acceptance speech after giving the field windburn in the Postle he noted that his on track dominance was well and truly matched with his dominance off the track and more notably in the bedroom.

Maybe instead of complaining about handicaps and training we can all focus on what is proven to get the job done at Central Park... (although my rigorous program has failed to bear fruit on the track to date.)

I do believe it's healthier to have an even spread of sash winners over the Easter weekend but if anyone was goig to win a couple, I'm glad it was Marty Horne, the most colorful character in all of pro runnning cheers

4 Re: Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04 pm

HorneLover

Perhaps the VAL stewards should require regular "form updates" from off the track. Does anyone else recall Ross's acceptance speech from Bay this season?

5 Re: Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:34 pm

OldandSlow

JonnyDrama - when you say we should focus on what is proven to get the job done, what actually is that? HorneLover - you are actually required to submit your times to the VAL for all events whether you run PB's not not. Not too sure if Martin ran any other races in the year but his times at Stawell clearly show he's made a significant improvement, but someone mentioned he had dropped a few kegs so that will always assist. As he is not from VIC he probably doesn't get a chance to come and run at other VAL meets throughout the year so the handicappers can't really see his form. You can only assume he's trained hard and improved knowing he will be 2.5m back from the previous year and the results speak for themselves.

6 Re: Vets Farce on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm

grooster

It was an amazing effort from Martin HORNE, to be pulled 2.5m and go away and improve himself and run 4m faster than the previous year. There was nothing wrong with the handicapping. Just a very colorful character training hard and giving it a good go, at an age where a lot of blokes would put the cue in the rack. Isn't that what sport and athletics is about. Improvement

7 Re: Vets Farce on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:54 pm

diamonds

OldandSlow wrote:JonnyDrama - when you say we should focus on what  is proven to get the job done, what actually is that?

OldandSlow, Marty detailed his training regime in his acceptance speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWmmcgw2oY

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum