PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tamara inspired by bagpipes in Maryborough Women's 120m

Tamara inspired by bagpipes in Maryborough Women's 120m

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Bagpipes help Hamond win Women's Necklace
By TIM O'CONNOR
Ballarat Courier
03 Jan, 2011

THE emotion-stirring sound of the bagpipes provided the inspiration for Tamara Hamond's victory in the women's necklace final, 120m, on Saturday.

The 29-year-old drew on memories of her grandfather in the moments leading up to the race, and then charged over the field from her 3.75m backmark to narrowly defeat Samantha Sammut (13.5m) and Ballarat's Narelle Lehmann (8.5m) in a time of 14.72sec.

Fellow Ballarat runner Jacqui Watt (9m) finished fourth.

Hamond said the victory was a memorable one for many reasons.

"My grandpa played the bagpipes. He passed away about 15 years ago, and I actually thought about him before the race, so I think that helped me cross the line," Hamond said.

"I heard the bagpipes before the race started and that meant a lot to me."

Hamond, who hails from Essendon, rated the triumph alongside her 400m victory at the Stawell Gift carnival in 2009 and her efforts in last year's national titles in Perth, where she narrowly missed reaching the 200m final.

"I really love this event and I set to try and do my best and make a final. It was a bonus to make the final. I was saying that to myself before the race started - it was fantastic just to be there," she said.

"In the semi-final I didn't get such a good start, so I was really focused on the start (in the final), and trying to hold my form and give it all I had for the last 40m.

"About 20 to 30 metres to go I could see myself drawing on people and I didn't actually realise I'd won until after I'd crossed the line. It became a bit of a blur."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/hamond-breaks-sprint-drought-in-necklace-final/2037915.aspx

Tamara Hamond (red) wins the Women's 120m at Maryborough.

Hamond breaks sprint drought in necklace final
NATHAN DOLE
Bendigo Advertiser
03 Jan, 2011

ESSENDON’S Tamara Hamond said the memory of being so close to victory a year earlier helped inspire her to win the Maryborough Highland Society Women’s Necklace (120m) on New Year’s Day.

Racing off the backmark of 3.75m, Hamond overcame conceding almost 10m to limit in the dash down the centre of Princes Park.

“To be in the red (singlet) was a highlight, and to win the final is a wonderful feeling.”

Hamond has competed in athletics for more than 15 years and she clearly enjoyed her win at Maryborough.

“This is my first win at Maryborough,” Hamond said shortly after being presented with the necklace.

“I went close to winning last year,” she said of third placing.

“That performance gave me a lot of confidence going into today’s heat and then final.”

A successful 120m campaign began by winning heat three ahead of experienced campaigner Narelle Lehmann.

In the final, Hamond raced to the line in 14.71 seconds to beat Samantha Sammut (13.5m) in 14.73 and Lehmann (8.50m) who achieved a time of 14.83.

“This is such a great day,” the women’s sprint champion said.

The Steve Gaffney-trained sprinter later went on to reach the open 200m final.

Queensland’s Melissa Howard won the Maryborough Catlemaine District Football Netball League-backed women’s 70m at Saturday’s carnival.

After being runner-up in the 120m, Sammut was second in the Primes Furniture women’s 400m won by Megan Letton from South Australia.

Hamond is one of the backmarkers for today’s women’s sprints at the Daylesford Gift meeting at Cricket Willow in Shepherds Flat.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum