PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » bendigo limits

bendigo limits

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 bendigo limits on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 pm

jknott123

i have been involved in pro running for  50 years and on sat nite i saw brenton rowe run 4.01s for the 1600m from scratch i can only remember seeing one other runner run  a 4min mile and that was chris fisher in the herb heideman many years ago.the point i make is brenton ran in the backmarkers mile that had 120m limit.according to val entry list there were 21 entries and 13 were out past 120m? brenton 's run certainly brought the crowd to life and it was a magnificent run.the question i ask is was it a 120 m limit as advertised or were the handicaps extended for some reason.

2 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:38 am

vicinsider

I believe it was the full traditional mile distance of 1609m as well so Rowe's run was sensational

3 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:54 am

MOB

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Can I firstly say that I agree fully with John on the great run of Rowe. As a 3.38 1500 runner he is an international level athlete (unfortunately now running for Austria rather than Australia) in good form and ran to that level on Sunday. In fact the entire race was sensational and a credit to the club and the athletes competing. Next to the Hedemann it was as good a mile (1609 metres) as we have witnessed for some time. The remaining 11 VAL athletes that took part pretty much all ran better or close to their best. Justin Murphy's run at 42 years of age (3rd in 4.02 off 105), meaning he ran 1504 metres on grass in 4.02, was absolutely sensational.

In regards to the limit as with all the Open circle events at Bendigo, the BM mile is handicapped from scratch. Normally this means that the field will come back with handicaps reduced. Given Marantelli is our regular backmarker off 20, without the inclusion of Rowe, the field would've come back 20, meaning athletes off 140 and below would've fitted into the tight 120 limit. With the inclusion of Rowe the handicaps were lifted by 25 metres, so the handicapper, in consultation with the VAL and the club, quite correctly increased the limit to 150. This is in accordance with the rules and if he had not done so, we would've had a starting field of 5 athletes, simply not enough to sustain a decent mile race.

I'm probably treading on dangerous territory here, but I will also point out that of the 19 entrants (reduced by 2 once handicaps were declared as 2 athletes that could not fit within the limit were transferred to the frontmarkers event) 10 were Hipworth squad members. Of the 12 starters, 9 were Hippos, meaning of the 9 non Hipworth entrants, only 3 took part. I can say from personal knowledge, that those Hipworth athletes that took part, knowing they had very little chance of victory, some of whom were juniors, gained a great deal from just being part of such an exciting and quality race.

Once again well done to the Bendigo club for a fantastic race and outstanding athletic carnival. Joel Donnar and Michael Mara's great runs in the backies 800, Cam Moss and others in the Opal, Robbie Spencer in the 120, the Claytonator's win in the mile after getting bundled out of the Opal, the highlights were many.

4 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 am

jknott123

well explained mob certainly couldnt complain about the running i just get confused why the 1600m races both have a scratchman the frontmarkers scratchman should have run in the backmarkers

5 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 am

Double Jeopardy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
jknott123 wrote:well explained mob certainly couldnt complain about the running i just get confused why the 1600m races both have a scratchman the frontmarkers scratchman should have run in the backmarkers

Bendigo wish to run all their distance events with a scratchman. I think it's a good initiative. However, it would be helpful if when the handicaps were released, a note was made next to each event detailing how far the field has been dragged back to accommodate a scratchman (or forward in the case of the B/Mile).

As for Deane running the frontmarkers. Had he run the Backies off his handicap of 125m on Sunday, based on his pace from his fronties race he would have run 4.08 and beaten one runner home. So he definitely made the correct call, whether that call should be up to the runner to make is another question. I personally prefer when the athletes have no choice what race they are entered in but that probably isn't fair with the races worth different amounts / entry fees.

In the case of the 800m Frontmarkers last weekend I believe it should have been a Women's/Vets race. This would have boosted the entries in the main 800m race and made for better depth in the heats which were a bit light on. With the Backmarker's limit set at 100m (plus the field coming back 18m, so limit is essentially 118m) everyone who isn't eligible for the Women's /Vets race comfortably fits within the backmarker's limit so we aren't losing any athletes.

6 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:55 am

Double Jeopardy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Sorry, a Women's / Vets race would have squeezed one runner out of the 800s on the weekend.

7 Re: bendigo limits on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm

jknott123

the query i have is if bendigo are putting on a $2500 1600m with a 120m limit for the backmarkers i would expect all runners under 120m to be in that race.james deane is a class act and thats what bendigo want by putting him in the frontmarkers and he runs second takes away the chance of a true frontie running a place.as for his time equating to 4.08s i find that hard to believe because he would have been in the pack in the backies not chasing the field in the fronties and yes when will we have a wom/vets 1600m at all meetings and then bring the 1600m limit back to 250m

8 Re: bendigo limits on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:40 pm

SANCHEZ

Clubs should not be able to insist on scratchmen. The handicappers nearly always get a couple wrong and then think they can tweak the marks, disregarding credits owed etc. It them makes it harder for them to work out who has broken ceiling time when they are running off a reduced mark. ie black opal this year. Last years opal runners who broke net time came back for Stawell. I wonder if there will be the same applied this year considering they ran off 8m less.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum