PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » VAL RESULTS » Maribyrnong Wrap

Maribyrnong Wrap

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Maribyrnong Wrap on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
Thanks to Marra.

Maribyrnong Gift 2nd March 2014

A warm afternoon and a well prepared track greeted the athletes and officials for the Maribyrnong gift at Pennell reserve Braybrook on Sunday. The club provided a band of enthusiastic assistants for the regular VAL official and a good crowd was on hand to witness the day’s athletics. The Maribyrnong gift is another Melbourne suburban carnival, along with Northcote, St Albans and Avondale Heights, that is becoming increasingly popular with athletes.

Top GN Logistics Open 70 metres.

Gus Carty-Cowling (4m), after a slow start to the season, is running in a special vein of form in the VAL sprint events. With recent placings in the Ballarat and Stonnington gift finals combined with a classy sprint win at Avondale Heights Gus was always going to hard to beat at Braybrook. Carty-Cowling won his heat in “second gear” to record 7.86 and although a metre behind the faster heats, his run was the best form indicator going into the semi finals. Nicholas Repalust (5.25m) won the first semi in 7.75, Cam Dunbar (5.25m) the second semi in 7.76 and Carty-Cowling the third in 7.73. In the final there was no mistake as Carty-Cowling, carrying the red jacket, was quickly in control and raced away over the final stages to win by nearly a metre from Jonathon Rogers (8.25m) and Simon Carey (9.5m). The winning time was 7.66, a quick run on the Braybrook football ground.

120 metres Open Gift

The main event at Maribyrnong turned up an amazing result when the two slowest qualifiers for the final quinelled the event with William Little (12m) defeating Tim Rosen (14.5m). Both went into the final as outside place chances but proved the semi final form wrong by holding their form better than the more fancied runners. Little won the first semi final but with a run of 13.25 would have struggled to gain a placing in the remaining semi finals. These went to Carl Morehouse (5.25m) in 13.06 and Nick MacGibbon in 13.10. Also qualifying were Cam Dunbar (7.75m) and Simon Jackson (9.25m)       with runs of 13.08 and 13.12. Third place in the final went to MacGibbon. With a steady rise up the straight track, quick times were never expected and the winning time of 13.18 was the slowest of the season.

VRTA under 20 800mts

The under 20s was run as a straight final with a field of fourteen to face the starter. Meg Deane (156m) was the out marker and led the field along to the bell from Kyle Hilson (130m) and Jessica O’Hara (138m). As the field raced into the back straight Dylan Moore (92m) surged to the front and immediately opened a gap on Luke Bain (94m) who had moved into second place and looked a solid danger. Ryan Bain (94m) and Ryan Antidormi (50m) made a dash at the leading group after leaving the back straight and looked likely placegetters. But in the run to the line Moore held on grimly to score by one metre from Luke Bain with Antidormi in third place. Dylan, coached by Nick Fiedler, adds Sundays win to his recent 400 metres victory at Trinity. His winning time was 2.01.26

Hounds of Shii 1600m Open

The might of the Hipworth Athletic Club was tested and proved wanting at Maribyrnong when a lone young Tasmanian lass took them on and relegated the state’s premier distance stable to minor placings, second through to sixth. Jacqui Dalwood (275m) was sitting in sixth place with two laps to travel but still a fair margin from the leading group of Greg Whitecross (400m) Tony Rendina (395m) and Gary Blake (375m). By the time the bell was rung Dalwood was in third place and about to surge to the lead by the 300 metres point. There she opened a clear margin over Peter Spence (105m) and Alex Bacalja (85m) and never seriously looked in danger from there on to the finish. She raced to the line with fifteen metres to spare over Bacalja and Spence with the Hipworth stable mates Shane Thiele (100m) James Deane (100m) and Ian Burrows next in. Dalwood’s winning time was 4.22.2.

Sunshine Collectables Women’s 120m

Sonya Pollard (17m) made it three women’s gift wins for the season with her win in the Sunshine Collectables 120 metres final on Sunday. Sonya recorded the fastest heat with a run of 14.74 which gave her a clear margin on her nearest rival Susan Sinclair (10.5m) who’s heat time was 14.92. Megan McMahon (17.25m) “revved up” her home town supporters with a heat win in 15.25 but unfortunately for Megan it was the slowest of the heats. In the final Sonya Pollard quickly raced past McMahon and was untroubled to win from Tarryn Fisher (15m) and Angela Phillips (10.5m) in 14.87.

This week at Bendigo the committee have moved the finals of the Women’s Black Pearl and Women’s 120 metres to Sunday.

Braybrook Sporting Club 300 metres Open

Andrew Drummond (44m) was another athlete to “notch” his third win for the season with a good win in the open 300 metres. There were eight heats, and with a final of ten runners, Andrew went into the final as a fastest loser, although his actual time was the second fastest of the early rounds. The fastest heat of 35.52 went to Luke Stevens (8m) who was unable to make ground in the big field on the turning track in the final.  Drummond, the out marker in the final, looked under pressure coming to the home turn but was able to give a late “kick’ to hold out the fast finishing David Fenollar (20m) with Conor Nunn (21m) in third place. Drummond is coached by Peter O’Dwyer at Ballarat and ran the final in 35.75.

St Andrew’s Cricket Club women’s and Veterans’ 300 metres

Ten heats of the women’s and veterans’ 300 metres meant that there were no second chances for unlucky losers. Tarryn Fisher (52m) recorded the fastest heat with a run of 37.87 but there were plenty of rivals with times in the low thirty eight second range. In the final Tarryn Fisher quickly moved past Kaitlyn Bryce (56m) and opened a handy lead but Jessica Payne (40m) Leigh Rowbottom (29m) and John Hilditch (34m) emerged from the pack before the home turn to challenge. Payne quickly took the lead in the straight and with a fast finishing burst Rowbottom just missed. Chris Roche (17m) made good ground in the home straight to take third place from Fisher. The Shane McKenzie coached junior recorded a winning time of 38.23. Former top grade 400 metre athlete Katarina Dressler continues to adapt to handicap running in the VAL with a good heat win in 38.11

VRTA Under 17 120metres

Hamish Adams (12.5m) opened his winning account with the Victorian Athletic League in the VRTA under 17s at Pennell reserve on Sunday. Hamish, in his first season with the VAL, clocked 13.12 in his heat and went into the final as one of the main chances. He proved that form right with a solid performance to defeat Nicholas Repalust (7m) and Troy Carey (13.75m). Racing up a handy incline the winning time was a very commendable 13.21. Hamish is 15 years old and goes to Yarra Valley Grammar where his sports teacher is the VAL’s very own Cam Dunbar. And to further emphasis the VAL influence in Hamish’s career he is coached by Mark Howard.  Mark until last year, ran the VAL office and is about to release a book on his experiences in the VAL. The chapters will include (1) but I posted my entries on Friday (2) The cheque is in the mail (3) Did I really run 10.6 at Albert Park, I thought that was the temperature. (4) I’m never running again, what time is the first heat on Saturday. (5) Bill Sutton, “this is my last season”  (6) I’m just running to keep fit for football (7) I’ve had a hard week on the track (Cool the track’s worth two and I’ll go better on race day  (9)  I was right on the winner’s shoulder, and many more.

2 Re: Maribyrnong Wrap on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:31 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
When is the last time that someone has opened at $2 with the TAB Brian? GCC will be very short in betting when the 'TAB' frames their SG market!! But of course that is exposed form, we all know there will be those sneaky interstaters that have hidden, or had their twins run for them during the season!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum