PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Burnie Novice mile winner inspired by student

Burnie Novice mile winner inspired by student

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Burnie Novice mile winner inspired by student on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:19 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Morey's run for Cooper
BY KYE WHITE
The Advocate
03 Jan, 2011

HOBART'S Sam Morey was not running for himself in the Fairford Encourage 1600m handicap on Saturday.

He was running for Cooper.

Morey is a school teacher at the St Theresa's Catholic School in Moonah, where Cooper is one of his students.

As he crossed the line in first place, Morey, tapped his hand to the blue arm band he was wearing, dedicating his victory to Cooper.

"The blue armband is in support of a student of mine Cooper Hudson, who is battling Leukaemia," Morey said shortly after winning the race.

"I wear the blue armband for Cooper because blue is a sign of support for the cancer council."

In addition to the armband, Morey had `Cooper' written on one hand and `GR8' that served further reminders of the youngster's battle.

"I've done the whole carnival series with Cooper written on my hand, it's been something that I have kept close by."

Cooper is not Morey's only connection to cancer, earlier in the year he had a cancer scare himself.

"It was good to get the fight, and the will to win for something worthwhile," Morey said.

The victory did not come easy, Morey had to battle his friend, sister and rival, Jessica Morey, over the final 50m of the race.

"She(Jessica) was a fair way out and she's got a bit of wicked kick on her, she's my training partner as well," Morey said.

"She is my best friend out on the track, so it was good to fight it out with her."

While the sun was shining, a strong breeze blowing across West Park created tough conditions for runners.

"It felt like you were running up the Eifel Tower, running in that wind you really had to work hard," Morey said.

"But it was good to earn it, you knew you had to run hard to get a win out here."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum