PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Yesterday at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sally now having fun after changing coach

Sally now having fun after changing coach

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sally now having fun after changing coach on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/14/sally-pearson-track-fun

Sally Pearson on track for fun

SBS.com.au
14 FEB 2014

Australia's Olympic hurdling champion Sally Pearson says she's having fun in her track career. (AAP)

For the first time in her decorated athletics career, Sally Pearson is having fun.

The Olympic 100 metre hurdles champion says her change of coach has brought a change in attitude.

"I love it and I have fun - I know I always said that in the past, but now I genuinely mean it within myself," Pearson said on Friday.

"I have always loved it, but I don't whether I actually had fun doing it."

Pearson split from her long-time coach Sharon Hannan last October, ending a wildly-successful 14-year partnership.

The Queenslander said her new coach, former training partner Antony Drinkwater-Newman, was rejuvenating.

"I'm taking a different spin on how I approach the sport now and the reasons why I do it," Pearson said.

"I have taken a lot of pressure off myself, which is probably the main thing that I have noticed over the last 20 weeks that I have been training with my new coach.

"I have been able to train with less intensity ... I'm having a lot more fun now and I'm having a lot more freedom with the program."

Pearson's Australian season continues at the Adelaide Track Classic on Saturday, but there won't be a rematch with sprint rival Mel Breen, who has skipped the meet.

Breen broke the Australian record in a 100m heat, clocking 11.11 seconds, and then defeated Pearson by 0.12s in the final last Sunday in Canberra.

"I remember last Sunday when I raced her, being so excited with how I ran and how we pushed each other," Pearson said.

"I had the biomechanist look over it and the times were level 60 metres. And then obviously I ran out of puff and couldn't go any faster."

Pearson believed she could eclipse Breen's new record mark.

"It definitely is achievable but you have got to remember, I'm a hurdler," she said.

"A lot of my technique is based around getting over 10 flights (hurdles) in a 100 metre race, so there's a lot of technical things we do differently.

"I don't focus my sessions on sprinting ... I train on getting over the hurdles and getting out of the blocks differently than a sprinter. So sometimes it's hard for me to switch over in the starting blocks to come out like Melissa does."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Sally now having fun after changing coach on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/change-of-focus-for-sally-pearson-in-adelaide-100m-run/story-fnig5e6k-1226827731864

Change of focus for Sally Pearson in Adelaide 100m run

By Kym Morgan
The Advertiser
15 Feb 2014

SALLY Pearson will focus on technique in the 100m in Adelaide on Saturday — but don’t rule out a national record.

The Olympic hurdles champion says she has arrived here in great condition, and Melissa Breen’s new Australian mark isn’t beyond her if everything goes perfectly (wind conditions included).

Pearson says the absence of Breen — who has bypassed Adelaide — will give her the chance to focus solely on herself.

“It’s definitely achievable,’’ Pearson said on Breen’s new national mark of 11.11 sec, set in Canberra last weekend.

“When I found out she (Breen) wasn’t running here I changed my perspective on why I’m running.

“For me, it’s going to be all about trying to race and concentrate on my technique

“We’ve been working a lot on how I contact the ground, and how I’ve been training, and how I move …

“Time is alway important but I want to see if my technique can still produce those fast times. “Sometimes, as sprinters we just go out there and try and muscle our way through.”

Breen clocked her national record in a heat in Canberra last Sunday and then beat Pearson in the final by .12 seconds. It was the first race Pearson had lost to another Aussie since 2005.

Pearson, who will race Breen again in Perth next week, said she was excited to have a local rival in flat races.

“I remember last Sunday when I raced her and finishing the race and being so excited about how I ran and how we pushed each other … It was really fun and I look forward to racing her again.”

Pearson switched coaches late last year, parting company with long term mentor Sharon Hannan to pair up with long term adviser Antony Drinkwater-Newman.

The 27-year-old says the new partnership has refreshed her as she prepares to defend her World Indoor, Commonwealth and Olympic titles over the next two-years.

Her first major meeting will be the World Indoors next month in Poland and Pearson is supremely confident.

It remains unclear whether US athlete Brianna Rollins, who beat Pearson at the 2013 World Championships, will compete.

“A lot of the big names I haven’t seen much of but I think it is going to be tough,’’ Pearson says.

“But it’s going to be exciting. I’m really ready for it. I think there’s a high possibility that I can go really well there and hopefully defend my title.”

Pearson will also run the 200m on Saturday.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum