PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northcote results
Today at 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

» Bay Sheffield Novice and Restricted race eligibility
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm by Admin

» Mort Daly Running Foundation 120m Women Poll
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 am by youngy

» Pre Bay 120m Mort Daly Gift POLL
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am by youngy

» Pre Bay Gift meet HANDICAPS - Sunday 10th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:03 pm by youngy

» Terang Results & video of the Gift Final
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 am by youngy

» 2017 Bay Sheffield Form Guide
Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 pm by youngy

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » How long till new runners get handicap relief ??

How long till new runners get handicap relief ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hubbaup

New to this whole pro running caper and wondering how many meetings does it take till a new runner gets a lift in handicap and approx how many events till a competitive mark is allotted say maybe four metres above the novice mark over the 120m distance ??

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Depends which stable/state you come from.

Cheetah_Mang

Well said DizzyRunner!

Hubbaup

Oh ok like that is it !! So if your not in the right stable your in trouble are you?? What is a good stable in the Melbourne Metro area (northern suburbs) to align with then ?

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Wohh there tiger.

That question, posted below the above comments, is enough to start all manner of fires. Given the heat in Victoria in recent weeks, Dizzy hopes no one takes that question on board and we don't need to get the hoses out to watch everyone down.

Hubbaup

Point taken mate consider the question un asked

WhataboutmeMrHandicapper

hubba - you may be living in the wrong part of Melbourne. Willing to travel?
Go to the eastern and southern burbs. Lifts in marks more regular in the east and south.

Hubbaup

Don't really want to travel too far at the moment would rather find a close by stable. Is there any good stables in the Northern Burbs??

WhataboutmeMrHandicapper

Paul Tancredi and Noddy Angelakos are around that area. Essendon area? Good blokes to train with.

Hubbaup

Thanks mate Essendon is not too far out the way for us

11 Stable on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Fishbowls

i heard there's as another stable in northern surbs R.A.D. Been doing alright lately too. Diamond Valley areas. if thats closer

Hubbaup

Yeah I've heard of the RAD squad they are flying at the moment got a feeling it's a DV only squad though

Discobull

Hey hubbaup. Thanks for that. Yes a dv squad but bouncer might left people in at the disco.

Hubbaup

Sounds like your in the know there Discobull !

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Heh. That's 'cause Disco IS R.A.D., hubba.

Hubbaup

I sorta gathered that TOM ! I still didn't really get an answer to my original question but not to worry! It's early days on the forum!! Thanks for the info on the stables though guys

Discobull

Hey hubba. It takes 3 runs in the same category e.g. 70m open and 70m novice marks are different. Then the move depending on the result and race can be from .25m to .75m and at the discretion of the handicaper. Correct me if im wrong anyone.

Hubbaup

Thanks for the heads up Discobull

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Don't forget the OGA rules which exist in the sport, OGA or ongoing assessment is a tool which can be used with new runners especially younger athletes who have the potential to improve rapidly, this can allow handicap increases and DECREASES outside of the normal 3 tick system which is used with established runners. This should allow new runners to become competitive quickly, but allow allow the handicap panel the ability to DECREASE handicaps at any time whilst an athlete is OGA, to stop quality young athlete from completely rorting the system. It's 20 runs over 1 distance before an athlete is viewed as established and you can still be OGA all the remaining part of the season even if you get your 20th run in that distance early in the season, so a young runner like 'inside evens' could possibly be OGA over the 120m distance next year.
Is a good rule to have as young athletes can improve rapidly within and between seasons with different levels of maturity as well as undertaking gym and strength training and structured training

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Sorry, hubba. It's been a long week. I didn't mean to seem dismissive.

Your best bet is to have a look at the 'Downloads' section on the VAL websitehttp://val.org.au/Downloads.aspx and read the document on Handicap Guidelines.

If you would like clarification on any handicapping issue, see the Chief Steward, Bill Sutton, at any VAL meet, and request his permission to discuss your concerns with the relevant handicapper for your event type (Graeme Goldsworthy - sprints; Darryl Nettleton - 300/400/550/Novice; Graeme Watkins - distance; Sonya Pollard - Women's sprints).

In the long term, it's not in anyone's interest for a person to remain uncompetitive over all distances, as it is expensive and people will likely be lost to the sport. However, the handicappers tend to be more protective of Gift-distance (100m/120m) handicaps and prefer to see each athlete have several runs before they start advancing their marks much.

Currently, a person will typically receive one unit of lift for their handicap for every three events in which they compete, although that is a gross oversimplification. You can find out more by reading http://val.org.au/Portals/0/downloads/HANDICAPPING_GUIDELINES-Current_2011-12.pdf.

Best of luck.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum