PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review

The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield REVIEW

Heat 1 (Calcutta heat went for $100)
1. I Thomson (6.50)
2. N Berry (7.75)
Time: 12.69
Hit by scratchings this heat was reduced to two runners, so it was a comfortable win by the Canadian Thomson, with both advancing to the semi finals.

Heat 2 ($400)
1. R James (6.50)
2. A Boudrie (7.75)
3. L Weir (8.00)
Time: 12.47
James got his usual quick start and quickly rounded up Boudrie and Weir and led by the 70m mark. Boudrie came back late as James eased off towards the line but Robbie held on by about ¾ metre. Weir was another metre back in 3rd place.

Heat 3 ($240)
1. D Gross (10.75)
2. D Panizza (9.00)
3. J Cibich (8.00)
Time: 12.46
Some money for Panizza throughout the meet and he was paying $7 before they jumped. He ranged up to Gross mid race and looked a chance but Gross showed the improved confidence and poise he’d gained from his recent Glenelg gift win and held on to score by 1m from Panizza with the previous day’s Restricted winner, the promising, Cibich running a solid 3rd.

Heat 4 ($400)
1. J Tronnolone (8.75)
2. R Hankin (6.25)
3. G Ross (10.50)
Time: 12.43
Tronnolone got a terrific start and set the race up early. Pre-race favourite (with Gander & Caldow) Hankin kept coming right to the line but Tronnolone was able to hold him off, much to the distress of the punter who had $200 on Hankin at $1.10 to win the heat!

Heat 5 ($70)
1 D Tohl (8.00)
2 J Tiu (8.75)
3 J Dartnall (10.50)
Time: 12.60
Scratched from the heat was the 2009 Bay Sheff winner Russell Scott. Tiu didn’t look as sharp as the previous day when he won the 70m. Tohl got to him early and was too strong to the line. Dartnall was another 2m away in 3rd spot.

Heat 6 ($40 - donated by JH)
1 B Letton (9.50)
2 C Powell (8.75)
3 D Byrne (8.00)
Time; 12.64
Mt Gambier Gift winner, Wallace Long-Scafidi was a notable scratching from this heat. Powell got the better of the start and was holding Letton until the lack of his hard racing was exposed and Letton moved away at the finish. While he won, it was a disappointing run from Letton as he looked a Bay final chance after a 3rd place at Glenelg and making the Mt Gambier Gift final. He went hard all the way to just win a slow heat.

Heat 7 ($200)
1 R Hancock (9.75)
2 M Brusnahan (7.00)
3 T Johnson (8.75)
Time: 12.60
Anticipating a fast heat, Hancock looked anything but a Bay a final chance. He struggled all the way up the track to just hold off 17-year-old Brusnahan by a metre. Brusnahan ran and looked much sharper than a week ago when he was beaten by 5m in a 60m trial by Robbie James. Showed he is a much better ‘racer’ than he is a ‘trainer’! Tim Johnson ran solidly for 3rd from an out of form Dale Woodhams who had been fighting off a virus in the last few days.

Heat 8 ($120)
1 J Sims (7.75)
2 C Morehouse (5.50)
3 M Harvey (8.75)
Time: 12.58
One of the best SA hopes following his recent PreBay Gift win, Sims took some time to catch the surprise packet Harvey. But once past him he was solid to the line, with Morehouse running on to pip Harvey for the all important 2nd spot. Hicks was again disappointing 3m away in 4th spot, especially as he had scratched from the 70m to concentrate on the Gift.

Heat 9 ($60)
1 A Steele (7.00)
2 C Whitaker (8.25)
Time: 12.80
A heat reduced to two runners following the scratching of 4 athletes including the enigmatic Gary Finegan and 2009 finalist Cam Yorke. Due to family commitments in Port Augusta, Whitaker had hardly trained in the previous 6 weeks and it showed with a sluggish performance behind an out of form Steele. Slowest heat of the day and it looked it.

Heat 10 ($200)
1 C Pusch (7.75)
2 Alex Saliu (7.00)
3 L Versace (9.50)
Time: 12.40
For the first time in his career, Clay Watkins failed to front for a Bay Sheffield heat. Just as well as he would not have got close…The boy who looked like he wouldn’t be out of place in an air guitar contest, Corwin Pusch mad a mess of them, winning easily in the most impressive of the heats to date. Saliu looked a shadow of the athlete he was in 2009 and ran a ‘soft’ 2nd place. Interestingly, Push is currently coachless after AA told High Performance coaching director, Eric Hollingsworth he could no longer coach his own squad. Pusch looked a big chance after this heat.

Heat 11 ($220)
1 A Jones (7.00)
2 B Peters (8.50)
3 A Mott (3.75)
Time: 12.48
Took a long time to run down the born-again, quick-starting Peters, but the national triple jump champion, Alwyn Jones got the big strides going in the latter stages to score from the little Queenslander with 3rd place going to an ‘out of sorts’ Adrian Mott who failed to reproduce his Woodside Gift form.

Heat 12 ($160)
1 J Jakeman (7.00)
2 T Bateman (3.75)
3 S Law (7.75)
Time: 12.49
In an entertaining battle to the line, Jakeman just held on by less than a ½ metre to beat Bateman with the promising Law in the 3rd place. Bateman was very good to 100m, catching Jakeman and looked a chance to snaffle it, but was not quite able to overhaul him. Bateman definitely looked sharper than he did at Glenelg, while Jakeman put in another workmanlike run.

Heat 13 ($70)
1 B Koschade (7.75)
2 M Hargreaves (5.50)
3 P Dudkiewicz (9.50)
Keith Sheehy recently suffered a hamstring injury and was forced to scratch while Matt Hargreaves went back 1.75m (to 5.50m) for his recent Woodside Gift win. Returning from a hamstring injury suffered at the PreBay meet, Ben Koschade looked good and appeared to have no problems holding off the ever reliable Hargreaves who continues to impress in everything he runs in. 2007 finalist Dudkiewicz looked completely out of form finishing in a distant 3rd place.

Heat 14 ($50)
1 S Fletcher (6.75)
2 M Callard (9.50)
3 B Wright (11.00)
Time: 12.66
In terms of the Bay final and as the Calcutta ‘interest’ suggested, this was one of the softer heats. Fletcher ran hard to hold off Callard and Wright, winning by about 1m.

Heat 15 ($1000)
1 J Caldow (6.75)
2 L Gander (3.25)
3 S Thiel (9.25)
Time: 12.35
As the Calcutta interest and frenetic bidding showed, this was the most anticipated heat of the carnival. It did not disappoint. A fantastic head to head battle between the 17-year-old SA sensation Caldow (PB of 10.83) and the in-form NSW gun, Gander (with a PB of 10.41). The Tony Fairweather trained Gander got his customary brilliant start and hit Caldow with everything bar the Thirsty Camel Ute parked behind the start. Despite his unorthodox head-down style, Caldow looked unfazed by the hype and held off a courageous Gander to win in the day’s fastest time. I felt the wind might have died down for this heat but in hindsight the wind conditions varied little through the course of the heats and the time truly indicated the advantage Caldow enjoyed over the other heat winners.

This set up a tantalising battle in the semi finals to follow.

SF 1
1 R James (6.50)
2 B Koschade (7.75)
3 D Panizza (9.00)
Time: 12.43
Entering the opening semi with the fastest heat time, Robbie James was chock full of confidence to make his second consecutive Bay Sheff final. Another blistering start had him straight past Brusnahan and soon overtaking Koschade and Panizza.. In his best 120m performance for 12 months, James won easily from Koschade and the WA boy Panizza. For the second year in a row, Koschade had his Bay Sheff prep frustratingly interrupted by a Pre-Bay Gift injury. A fully fit Koschade with no interruptions and a Bay Sheff final beckons.

SF2
1 R Hankin (6.25)
2 J Tronnolone (8.75)
3 A Jones (7.00)
Time: 12.36
This came down to a seasoned pro in Hankin wanting to make amends for his narrow loss in the heat to the inexperienced ‘up & comer’ in Tronnolone. No doubt Hankin’s experience in major finals including a Stawell Gift 2nd place in 2008, ensured he found a metre for the semi and Tronnolone unfortunately suffered the narrowest of losses having run the same time of 12.36. It took some for the verdict an in the end it was 3/1000ths of a second. Jordan ran above expectations in this event and will be much better for the experience. Hankin’s win was well deserved because he found when he had to and it was a credit to him. The disappointment was Alex Saliu who was the first runner beaten and needs to go back to the drawing board.

SF3
1 C Pusch (7.75)
2 J Jakeman (7.00)
3 I Thomson (6.50)
Time: 12.33
Once again the Victorian Pusch streeted them early to set up an impressive semi final win. Jakeman ran on well for 2nd to hold a off a disappointing Thomson. The Canadian announced himself as a genuine chance with his 3rd place at Mt Gambier, but has lost his form and just didn’t look anywhere near as good. Daman Tohl also looked stale finishing just behind Thomson while Morehouse is still a fair way off his best form.

I’ll be blunt & brutally honest here and a little self indulgent; knowing what ‘shape’ Thomson was in this time last year given his very limited prep, I’m staggered he could not find a few metres on last year & make this final off 6.50m. With a 100m PB of 10.7 and a 200m PB of 21.59 he is a better sprinter than Robbie James and Dale Woodhams (who have both finalled off 6.50). Sadly he will return to Canada without making a Bay Sheffield final which he should well have done off what I felt was a generous mark for his ability.

SF4
1 J Caldow (6.75)
2 A Boudrie (7.75)
3 M Hargreaves (5.50)
Time: 12.26
As if he could not improve on his impressive heat run, the Grange beach sprinter lifted it up a notch in the semi. Blitzed the field from the gun and never looked in danger to win by 3m from Victorian 400m runner Boudrie and ‘Mr Reliable’ Matt Hargreaves.

SF5
1 D Gross (10.75)
2 T Bateman (3.75)
3 R Hancock (9.75)
With all five runners in the semi from SA, this was the semi to guarantee at least one South Aussie in the final. After 10 years in the sport and offering a lot of promise but delivering little more but frustration to those in his camp, Grossy finally ran the race of his life to qualify for his first Bay Sheffield final. A much deserved Bay finalist’s silk for Gross after suffering a lot of flack over the years for failing to perform when it counted. He ran well holding off an impressive run from Todd Bateman who pipped Ryan Hancock for 3rd place. As much as I have my ‘issues’ with Bateman, he does know how to perform when it counts and when he dons a silk at Colley Reserve he is always a threat. Hancock was probably the disappointment of the SA contenders. The rumour mill was rampant that he had improved substantially in the last 12 months, but when it mattered most, the improvement was not there. It was no better or worse than Ryan has run in the past and in my view was not as good as his semi final win at Mt Gambier where he easily accounted for a fully fit Ben Koschade.

SF6
1 L Gander (3.25)
2 J Sims (7.75)
3 J Tiu (8.75)
Time: 12.34

On paper this semi was always going to be a case of ‘how far’ Gander and the race was over at the half way mark. Scintillating off the mark, Gander completely obliterated the field to win, going away by nearly 4m. Sims ran on well to outpoint Tiu, but at this level, you need to find on what you have shown before and Sims’s form to win at PreBay was never going to be good enough to advance beyond the semis. Tiu may have felt the effects of three hard runs over 70m the day before. He lacked the same sharpness.

Caldow entered the final with the fastest time but Pusch’s and Gander’s impressive semi win suggested it might be a genuine contest to the wire.

This had an uncanny resemblance and all the hall mark of the 2005 final – a SA teenager up against three interstaters and two other more seasoned locals.

2010 v (2005)
1st: The local teenage gun with the fastest time: Caldow (Watkins)
2nd: The gun NSW backmarker with the second fastest time: Gander (Burgess)
3rd: The Victorian amateur based runner having his first start in a big final: Pusch (Flowers)
The SA frontmarker trained by a former Bay Sheff winner: Gross (Letton)
The SA runner in the mid-marks making up the numbers: James (Jervis-Bardy)
The experienced NSW/QLD backmarker: Hankin (Allan)

2010 BAY SHEFFIELD FINAL
Red - Liam Gander, NSW (3.25)
White – Richard Hankin, NSW (6.25)
Blue – Robbie James, SA (6.50)
Yellow – Jordan Caldow, SA (6.75)
Green – Corwin Pusch, VIC (7.75)
Black – David Gross (10.75)

A big crowd assembled around Colley Reserve for the final of the 124th Bay Sheffield. The big question was could the kid from the local surf club who only started running 12 months ago hold off some very seasoned and race hardened pro’s.

As the starter requested the athletes walk to the blocks, Caldow looked nervous while Pusch in the adjacent lane looked like he was enjoying the moment.

The gun went and while we all knew James would grab Caldow early, we didn’t expect it to be so brief. Caldow held Robbie only allowing the margin to be a few inches before he got into stride and soon took back the advantage. Pusch was storming up to Gross while Gander got another blistering start and soon had Hankin covered and was now after James and Caldow. Mid race and the yellow silk of Caldow was looming large as he drew near Pusch. At the 90m mark Caldow was now with Gross while Robbie James seemed to be near enough to Pusch to challenge for 3rd. Gander was charging up the inside and with the rate he was going it was obvious he had emerged as Caldow’s main danger. In the shadows of the finishing gates, Caldow had broken clear with Gander about a half metre away but unable to make up the last piece of ground to take the race to a photo finish. Pusch held third while Gross fought back courageously to grab 4th ahead of James with Hankin unable to reproduce his semi run, finishing in 6th spot.

Outstanding win by young Caldow in the second fastest time by a SA athlete since 1941. With what was probably the equivalent of a 10.7e 100m run, he basically exceeded anything he had run this summer and like Watkins in 2005, got faster with each run, basically putting it beyond the opposition.

You could not be more impressed by a coaching and managing performance than that performed by Caldow's mentor, Pete Burdett. The whole prep was brilliantly managed. From the gift win at Port Adelaide in October to get a feel for where he was at; to the All Schools run of 10.83; to the U/20’s 120m at the Pre-Bay where he ran 2nd off 2.0m in 12.79; to the Keith Patching Memorial 70m win at Glenelg; the whole prep went with precision and was basically flawless. Great team effort and well-deserved.

Liam Gander was very stiff to run 12.19 off 3.25m and get beat at Colley Reserve. But he ran into a sensational athlete, who hopefully we will be privileged to enjoy watching for many years to come.

Corwin Pusch – exciting to watch and hopefully we see more of him on the pro-running circuit.

David Gross – fantastic run in the final and can look ahead to future big Gifts (including Burnie in five days’ time) with a lot of confidence.

Robbie James – worked bloody hard to overcome his flat & stale state from 5 weeks ago. Has had a very good prep and delivered his best run of the season when it counted.

Richard Hankin – Despite what was probably a disappointing run in the final, he must be pleased to have made the Bay Sheff final after suffering a loss in the heat. Adds another major Gift silk to his Stawell Gift one from 2008.

For a fron on replay of the race see the following ABC link:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/12/28/3102909.htm?site=adelaide

2 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

nittaz

good review youngy, enjoy the read. Just a few questions which should make for good healthy debate, and i don't mind being the spokesperson for tms. is there any fair explanation for the r james 1.25m lift from start of season to the bay. The only reason i personally bring this up, i believe semi final 1 result would have been different result regardless of a fully fit koschade or not. Koschade laid his cards down early in the season, having a crack at the first event of the season beaten only by the evehntual bay shef winner. While benny didn't have the best prep, he met r james i guess 0.75m worse off than a meet at the beginning of the season?? Granted robbie ran a cracker and improved alot from the start of the year and well done to him, but also the extra lift distance can certainly give a man of robbies talent a sniff which could also contribute to a large improvement in itself??? using the example of having had previous chances of winning the bay in a previous post to explain koschades .5 lift instead of anything more, are you able to shed light on robbies 1m lift after finalling in the bay the previous yr (obviously had his chance last yr)? Given what i would believe a more consistent lift, i believe that bay shef final beckoning for a fit koschade may have been even closer yesterday?? Anyway it's over and he obviously wouldn't have beaten caldow in the final, but hopefully with this post, you can explain why this handicapping lift system, especially for this case? while waving the tms flag, i spoke to ira, he was quite happy with his semi final run, of the current 400m work he has been doing, just worth mentioning. Cheer mate, happy new. And a huge well done to caldow, awesome run great to watch!

3 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Bumble Bee Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Good discussion Nitta, however the same can be said for other athletes. Rossouw received a massive lift and he hadn't run since his Loxton win. I know he's not in shape but if James was in the same sought of shape as Rossouw then we wouldn't be having this discussion because he wouldn't have been in the final. Unfortunatley the sport is filled with controversy.

Another major talking point was Hancock and his re-adjustment. Although it made no difference why was he entilted to it more than anyone else. I know a lot of other people that should have been re-adjusted before he was. He made every final he ran in and yet still won his appeal.

Thats pro running!

Everyone in the league knows thats Koschade has talent and the mark he is on, if he can stay fully fit would be extremely dangerous not just for a final spot but for the win. If he was in PB shape James wouldn't have been able to catch him. Goodluck to him and I hope some good fortune in regards to running falls his way soon.

4 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:41 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
I don't care what others may think of me or my capacity to form an opinion, but I'm very solid in backing my judgement, based on 30 years of knowledge & experience in the sport.....and being relatively successful along the journey.

In my considered opinion, Ben Koschade off 7.75m should be up to his neck in the Bay Sheffield. It's the same mark he won the 2008 Loxton Gift off. Even underdone, off a limited prep, he was still capable of beating 90% of the field, running 2nd in a semi final.

When Ben fronts up in best shape, 100% fit, peaked for the event, I've no doubt he will be in the Bay Sheffield final and depending on whether someone jumps out like a Caldow, he will definitely be on the dais.

Robbie James won a Loxton Gift off 7.50m and never got close to getting that back even when he 'endured' 2 horrendous years under a SASI coach. He virtually retired off 7.0m but after getting the right advice & guidance he's been able to turn things around.

I could name another dozen athletes who sit in a similar situation to where Robbie James was 2 years ago; but continue to meander from year to year without doing something about their predicament. That's not the handicappers' fault nor my fault.

In the context of this race, the 6.50m mark for RJ was realistically a non-winning mark and merely gave him a chance to final if everything went right.

In respect to the marks -

Robbie wasn't the only one to get 1.25m. Ryan Rossouw got a 1.25m lift without running a race this season. Fair enough too, as it couldn't be worse off than other loxton Gift winners.

Ira Thomson won more prizemoney than Robbie James in 2009/10 including a $5000 Gift and copped only a 0.25m penalty (same penalty RJ got for running 2nd & $800 at Loxton). Maybe Leon was just balancing up the marks based on that?

I reckon Leon got it right with a very entertaining 124th Bay Sheffield.

5 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm

2011 tip

Surely you must be rubbing your hands together.
For me one of the disappointments of the carnival was Brusnhan.Off that mark and from what he acheived last year at the Bay he hasnt progressed in Pro running.
For as long as he stays training with a bunch of fellow school kids and with a coach with no real credentials he will stay the same.
Im making a statement NOW that Brusnhan off his current mark or better will move over to Youngy and be very dangerous at next years Bay.

6 final of Bay on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm

smokey

Expert
Expert
Nobody has mentioned if there was a fly in the final of the Bay!!

7 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
G'day 2011 Tip,

Thanks for your input.

Brusnahan is not running as well as he was a few weeks ago, but his form slump won't last too long.

He trains with Ed McLeish who was very impressive in the 120m U/20's and Steve Pallotta who was similarly impressive a couple of years ago in the Schools race. So there's fair bit of talent among the three of them.

Rick's going OK and hopefully he continues looking after Brusnahan for a while yet. I certainly have no desire to damage my relationship with Rick Wilson by 'poaching' Brusnahan. What probably may happen is that we have more co-sessions with Rick's lads where it's mutually beneficial.

8 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Iron Maiden

Expert
Expert
smokey wrote:Nobody has mentioned if there was a fly in the final of the Bay!!

All things considered, I don't think it would have changed the result.

9 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 am

Ira

Congrats to Jordan Caldow on an awesome run!! very bright future in athletics for this talented kid!

Great run by Robbie James to make the final again! Good stuff dude!!!

Congrats to Jordan Tronnolone for winning the Devonport 70m in Tassie! Tronnolone has improved since we stopped going out picking up Aussle chicks!!!

10 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 am

youKNOW

Well done to Caldow. Great run by the young guy. Can move. Good luck to him in beach sprinting this year. Sounds like that's what he is aiming for and where his love is! at least he has given us the opportunity to see him at his best. it was a pleasure.

Gander... well he is easily in pb form at the moment. he should be in relay contention if he continues and Im sure he will under Tony! Speaking of tony, he had all the quality from his stable out there, and all off tight marks as well!

Robbie is running really well, unfort seemed like he just didnt have the finish he had last year? mind you I dont think it would have really mattered with Caldow being that fast. Not detracting from how fast he ran either, because he had come up so well, and to final the year after a pull is great to see! maybe the training on the grass has changed things up a bit with the finish?

Just on the Koschade conversation, I think there is a bit more conversation to be had here. Do you think you could get him into a final Youngy? because I believe its a bit unfair on the other coach/s if you believe that you could do such a better job. You have reasoning for some of your athletes not doing well on the day(woodhams(sickness), AWD(plague)) and same with every other stable/group. He obviously has some hamstring/back issues, but what good specific reasoning would you be happy with? would you ever be happy apart from being his manager/trainer?

Now being brutal AND honest, (just as you PY, without the self indulgence. which is fair yes?) Ira seemed to have a lot of fun with what he was doing. He still got three runs, and running in the backmarkers it looked like him and his training buddy Bateman had a great time playing up. which Im guessing is what its all about?

11 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 pm

NSB

Pulling up productions in association with waiting for Stawell industries with little assistance from hamstring heartache limited brings you the first & greatest ever annual Bay Sheff wrap

Stop the presses & ladies drop your dresses the Bay Sheffield has been run & won in the blazing sun. Rhyming will now cease.
After the moving sounds of chariots of fire bellowing out around the amphitheatre of Colley reserve, 17 year old favourite Jordan Caldow held on to win the 124th? Bay Sheffield narrowly in a slick time of 12.15. He needed every bit of his 6.75m & the word choke was on the tip of several peoples tongue come the last 20 metres of this memorable contest as Caldow started to fall apart at the seams reaching for the finishing post. As it eventuated Caldow got the nod & I made my way to the bookmakers to turn my ticket in to seventy big ones.

Liam ‘hava’ Gander gallant in defeat, shaking off a heat (worth $1000 in the Calcutta) defeat to Caldow & early 3/1 favouritism came oh so close storming home in Red.

Salt & Peppers Pusch it real good, not too far away in third whilst causing a stir all day with his hair do, head band & convincing victories throughout the minor rounds. Ah Pusch it!

D Grouse - remarkable running after many had written him off & I for one will refrain from bagging him anymore…well for now

R James credible effort & did like the clipper job on the coconut. I dare say he would be suffering some 2nd degree burns from so much time in the sun.

Hankin. Now let me reflect on the hype & monumental failure that was Richard Hankin Bay Sheff 2010. A pre race quote from an ever informative athletics forum, ‘put the cue back in the rack’ The cue indeed was put back in the rack but only after Hankin had his legs all splintered up from a beating which caused them not to move as fast as expected. Jokes aside, after a heat loss Hankin did well to recover & win his semi. The camp may be somewhat lighter in the wallet.

Whilst I could but won’t write witty anecdotes about everyone I am pleased to use this forum to dispel the rumours circulating & confirm that I have been recruited to massage the form guide next year after it all being a little serious this time around. Announcement will be made official once a fee is agreed upon.

In other news the Tui Tui train won the 70m after giving me the feeling that I was standing still in the heat.

The womens 70m & 120m is something I generally take little interest in but after seeing the form of the winning few I have changed my mind. I actually had to sit down at one point due to unprecedented arousal I have not experienced since way back in my early teens.

The open backmarkers scenes of jubilation after the race resembled something bordering on homo-eroticism & I have been reliably informed that these same people took a hop, step & jump into the Mars bar, raging it up early in to Wednesday morning.

In closing I’m not going to thank you for reading this text, as it was I who did you the service. Nonetheless, I’ll leave you with a ritual compliment runners & trainers pay to one another after times of great failure & disappointment. ‘Maybe you will get a lift for next year’

That was two tickets to the gun show courtesy of Notorious NSB.

Chaz Michael Michaels(Blades of Glory) – ‘I’m never satisfied’

12 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:35 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Actually youknow, I was initally wondering where this heading, but you have made your point with respect so I'll answer your query accordingly.

Ben Koschade
I have never suggested I would do better; my comments are made out of respect for BK's ability.

I reckon he's shown this year he's in very good hands with Tim Johnson. I reckon Tim's got the credentials and knowledge to be an outstanding coach. In my view he is the best coach available at TMS because of his experience & credentials as a well performed sprinter who competed at a national level. He's only had BK for 6 months and it takes at least that just to get to know what a guy can handle. BK will be much better over the next 12 months.

The point is I have enormous respect for Ben's ability and reckon off 7.75m he should be a moral, injury free to run sub 12.3.

Nittaz made a deal out of the lift for Rob James perhaps impacting on BK's chances. However I beg to differ and believe that until we see BK 100% and injury free, we won't be able to tell what he could do. I doubt Rob would catch a fit & healthy BK.

btw, I'm not laying blame for his injury on anyone. Soft tissue injuries are an occupational hazard. It's just frustrating, wishing & hoping each year to see BK in the final and it not happening.

BUT.....(A bit like Grossy) - one day it will happen, and when it does look out! The guy is seriously quick and in my opinion, 7.75m will be more than enough.

Yep, we've had a few injuries too, but no more than any other squad of a similar size.

The Canuck
mate, last comment on Ira, yeah it's a good excuse to say he's having fun and he's happy to pass up the chance to win 12 grand by just bowling down the track. Maybe he could have warned a few punters who backed him what his intentions were??

I (and many others in the sport) have a lot more respect for the prestige & tradition of the Bay Sheffield and in my view if you are going to treat it as a bit of fun and not truly respect the event then piss off. There's a lot of people who rate the Bay Sheffield as something of significant importance and spend years training & making sacrifices to be a part of SA athletic history. To waste your talent & your opportunity is a weak cop out. There's a lot less talented athletes who would give their right arm to have Ira's natural ability and the generous mark he had to go with it.

Last edited by youngy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

13 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks NSB.

Enjoyed the 'Bay Sheff wrap'.

PY

14 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Whats Up

Hey Youngy, what's withn the feud that's blown up between you and Ira thomson? He's gone off on Albany about it. Might be time to settle down and have a cup of tea with Ira? Just a suggestion. Neutral

15 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:56 pm

NSB

Thanks Youngy not a worry. Take the attention away from you for 5 minutes

I don't particularly want to enter in to the ongoing debate here....but

I thoroughly enjoyed the breakdown of Bay heat, semis & final

The report was comprehensive & majority of assessments were fair an accurate. Telling it straight can come across as harsh but I tend to agree with most of the commentary. There was a number of positive remarks concerning athlete performances that you wont ever get any thanks for no doubt.

The comment about Tim Johnson being a better racer than trainer was the most borderline controversial opinion for mine & maybe the poor old bastard who put $200 on Hankin for a heat win at $1.10 he'll probably want to kill you & Tronnolone!!

16 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 pm

HereHere

Hey NSB

Here Here.

Plenty of positive stuff in youngy's report. Some of it was too honest for some..... Liked the comment about coach Pete Burdett. Spot on about the prep.

I thought Youngy's racer and trainer comment was about Brusnhan?

Very Happy Very Happy

17 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Reckless

The comment about 'racer' and 'trainer' I believe was pointed at Brusnahan not Tim Johnson

18 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Precious

Went to Albany and saw all these posts bagging youngy and wondered what the source was. Then I read -

I’ll be blunt & brutally honest here and a little self indulgent; knowing what ‘shape’ Thomson was in this time last year given his very limited prep, I’m staggered he could not find a few metres on last year & make this final off 6.50m. With a 100m PB of 10.7 and a 200m PB of 21.59 he is a better sprinter than Robbie James and Dale Woodhams (who have both finalled off 6.50). Sadly he will return to Canada without making a Bay Sheffield final which he should well have done off what I felt was a generous mark for his ability.

People are a bit precious aren't they? I reckon what youngy's written is spot on. Ira was disappointing. 12.6 off 6.50? He was written up as one of the chances in the media and delivered nothing to the punters. Ira needs to take a teaspoon of cement and HTFU.

Problem seems to be Youngy is not afraid to say what others are thinking.

19 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Whats Up wrote:Hey Youngy, what's withn the feud that's blown up between you and Ira thomson? He's gone off on Albany about it. Might be time to settle down and have a cup of tea with Ira? Just a suggestion. Neutral

Thanks for the interest, but I'm not going to respond to anything from albany. It can stay there.

Let's it put it this way, Bridgid Connolly left my squad after last season (her only season) to pursue longer distances. Not once have I heard anything remotely close to how much better she is, how much faster she is or how much of a genius her coach - Toby Schreier is. (and he's a lot closer to being a genius than others....) She has let her running do the talking and has consequently enjoyed a fantastic season. A delightful lady who left with dignity and was gracious for the success she enjoyed (over the sprints) last year.

I speak to Bridgid regularly at the meets and in fact spoke to her today after her terrific effort last night in the Devonport Gift. We all miss her at YGTS but respect her decision to go back to Toby and so far it's been very fruitful.

Her email letting me know she was leaving was fantastic, albeit sad for me. Respectful, full of integrity, dignity, honesty - that's Bridgid.

Now, Think of the polar opposite and you've got Ira Thomson and another ex runner........

PS: A fortnight ago, I received an email from Bridgid, seeking my views on the Tassie marks. She felt she may not have been competitive in the Devonport 400m and I was rapt she was willing to seek advice. I was very happy to assist her and after looking at the marks, I felt she had all the Tassie girls covered, but one may pop out of nowhere and I couldn't guarantee she would win but she would go close. I said she needn't worry too much as she would win her heat and finish top 3 in the final.

She was very grateful for the information and felt a lot more confident going over there.

Last night she ran 2nd to a class runner in Tabitha West.

Hopefully she wins the 800m tonight.

PPS: Great stuff by Toby Schreier at the Bay Sheff carnival - 5 wins, all in feature races. Outstanding training performance. 49 sashes at the Bay Sheff carnival - a true legend of the sport.

20 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Canada

I agree with the above poster, Ira was pathetic at the Bay. When you enter your name in this prestigious event and put on that silk, its not a training run, your running to win. You aim to win.

Saying it was a training run is simply a cop out, a win win situation for Ira. He wins and its all about how much he's improved under his new coach. He loses and gets taught a lesson and its all about how he wasnt targeting it, and hes training for 400m. Grow up Ira, i know you read this. When I spoke to you, you fancied your chances, now its a training run. I remember you saying last year that you would love to make a Bay Final, that would be your ultimate goal. hmmm. Remember Todd also saying at Reynella in an interview that you and your squad were ready to dominate at the Bay Carnival. Goals have changed since then have they?

Cant wait till you run your 1st 400m, ill be watching mate. Im expecting something around 47, if it aint, your gonna cop it. Talk the talk, now walk the walk!!!!

21 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
I have no idea who Canada is. I can tell you it is the first post from this particular IP address. So I'm assuming it is a first timer contributor.

But whoever it was, thanks for the comment.

Reminds me of Steve Brimacombe's advice to Ira in a car trip to (or from) Rye, 12 months ago.

I remember speaking to Brimma some time later about it. I can tell you the canuck did not leave a very good impression on Brimma.

Tough as nails, the old Brimma!

When a Stawell Gift/Bay Sheffield champion & a legend of our sport tells you.......you'd reckon you'd listen?

Perhaps not.

22 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Eric

The other boys didn't leave with dignity Youngy?? Oh do tell! This is better than DofOLives..

23 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
We'll give it a rest now Eric. Enough's been said, time to move on to other things.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

24 Videos on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:54 am

denehyg

As a change of pace, I've posted slow motion videos of the starts from the 70m and 120m Open and Womens heats, and a few of the circle events, on YouTube (here). Thought they might be of interest to others. They mainly feature the backmarkers but some other runners get in if the marks were close enough.

25 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 am

2011 tip

Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm
2011 tip
Surely you must be rubbing your hands together.
For me one of the disappointments of the carnival was Brusnhan.Off that mark and from what he acheived last year at the Bay he hasnt progressed in Pro running.
For as long as he stays training with a bunch of fellow school kids and with a coach with no real credentials he will stay the same.
Im making a statement NOW that Brusnhan off his current mark or better will move over to Youngy and be very dangerous at next years Bay.
State junior titles on the weekend for 100m
Brusnahan runs 11.87 in his heat and then 11.82 in the final
Cladow runs 11.99 in his heat and 11.45 in the final
It was quite obvious that Caldow showed the experience of running pros in that he was able to back up much better in multiple runs and only did what he had to do in his heat.
Good things come to those who wait ,just keep rubbing those hands together and the kid will be in your group at the Bay next season,as soon as he realises there no real future with his present coach.

26 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 am

youngy

Admin
Admin

You are pushing your luck with posts like this. I know its coming from the same person who has called himself Curious as the IP address is the same. Not sure what the agenda is but it's not a good idea to keep attacking Rick Wilson.

Michael B had a broken wrist from a silly fight he got involved in, early January, which caused a setback in his prep. That wasn't Rick's fault. Rick has worked hard behind the scenes to keep Michael on track.

In the absence of Caldow, Brusnahan won the 200m by over 10m in a respectable 23.36. Seems to be where he is at - better over 200m.

When talking about Jordan Caldow, you are talking about an exceptional talent and the way he is going at the moment, there's not many if anyone currently in SA who would beat him off level marks.

27 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:58 pm

birdman

to 2011 tip or curious or who ever u are .....you are so way off the mark when it comes to caldow being able to back up because of running pros...hes a beach runner and if you new anything about beach running you might understand the befits it enables runners to back up better on other surfaces..when he won his aussie u17 medal last year in march he had to run 7 races over 90m on sand in 3 hours at the bay he ran 3 in 4 hours..you need to look outside the square...and leave rick alone

28 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Sandpipe

Wow this topic got off track

Intresting to note what you said about beach sprinters birdman, makes you stop and thing about all the untouch "superstars" out there

Just look at Stubbs won the biggest race on the Pro circuit and Caldow winning SA biggest race, all regarded beach sprinters

29 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:56 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Two things.

Fistly - in Brisbane on Friday night, Sean Wroe ran 10.76 to Matt Davies 10.43, then in the 200m, Wroe ran 21.14 to Davies 21.13.

Brusnahan, whilst not in Wroe's class, would have a similar differential; his 200m running is much better than his 100m.

Secondly - since the controversy of the Bay Sheff review in December, we've made a conscious decision not to allow negativity and unnecessary personal attacks to 'fester' on Protrack. A few derogatory posts have been made and been deleted.

We don't mind someone questioning an athlete's performance & asking questions about why that may be the case....but posting that an athlete has no future with a certain coach because he has 'no real credentials', is crossing the line.

We welcome constructive, positive & instructive commentary.....and that's the way it will stay.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

30 Re: The 2010 Coopers Bay Sheffield Review on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

HearHear

Good decision. Let's keep the dignity of this forum intact...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum