PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Josh entering the Bay?

Josh entering the Bay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Josh entering the Bay? on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm

racingmania

If Josh Ross enters the Bay Sheffield will:
a. What will the field get lifted?
b. Will this affect the limt. Like will it go up to 12?

2 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
racingmania should be working for Wikileaks.

Speaking to some officials at Whyalla, the SAAL were seeking out from people around the sport what they should do with Joshua Ross entering this year's Bay Sheffield.

My personal belief is the field get's a blanket lift of a maximum of 2.0m. (Maybe even 1.0m to 1.75m) I'd prefer the limit to remain at 11.00m, but I can certainly understand the thought process behind lifting it to 12.00m. It is the first time in the history of the race that we've had a Bay Sheffield winner from scratch returning to Colley Reserve 12 months later. This is unprecedented. So the quandary remains if the field gets lifted, say 2.00m, what benefit do the athlets currently on say 9.25 onwards get as opposed to those on 8.75. Clearly the winners are the athletes currently on 8 to 9, who will get the full value of the lift. Those on 9 to 10 will find themselves disadvantaged. They each pay the $40 to enter, so in my opinion the athletes on 8 to 10 should all be given the same chance. So I would have no problem with a lift to 12.00.  

I would be against a lift to 13.00 though, there has to be a compromise and a line in the sand....12m is the absolute maximum they should consider.

But I'm also a stickler for tradition and would be just as comfortable with the limit remaning at 11.00m.

What ever happens there will be a lot of information discussed and considerable thought put towards coming to a satisfactory outcome.

3 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 am

racingmania

limit should stay at 11.
and Max lift in my book, should be 1.5.

4 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Meatpie

Keep the limit at 11m.

This is the 2nd biggest gift in Aus, too bad if the josh ross lift effects those who are on 10 -11 metres. There are plenty of gifts around to win

I think the field should be lifted 1.5-1.75

5 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:46 pm

John LeRay

Leave the Limit as 11M - easier for Leon to assess the marks on current form . Also gives the
9, 10 & 11m runners a chance - Therefore Josh Ross goes behind scratch - will attract major publicity with the media.

6 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Rule 9.4 in Rules of Competition dont allow any runner to be allocated a mark behind scratch.

7 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:50 am

rule9.4???
there have been other instance's where josh has been entered after handicapps have been declared and he was placed behind scratch how is the rule 9.4 apply if this happens,also all clubs want him to attend they would do all they can to ensure him running so watch this space.

if he has nominated al ready would you not advertise this now to get maximum exposure saal speak up Embarassed

8 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:16 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Im not a lawyer but ,is being allocated a mark behind scratch the same as being placed behind scratch.Laughing 

By the way Bazz ,did you read todays advertiser where all of Ports three recruits can run under 11.4 with one of them going 11.1
Where have these boys been hiding or have they run these times at the old school sports days where every runner seems to go a second quicker.
Either short tracks or quick draw Magraw on the timing.
Believe it or not but I almost went under 11.0 at a school sports day once.

9 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:45 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Like you Whispers, I had a laugh reading how "fast" the Port Adelaide draftees are reputed to be. 11.4....I doubt there's too many who are legitimately sub 11.4 electric.

Watching the NFL this morning, where sadly the Packers were humiliated, Embarassed 
Detroit Lions' Running Back Reggie Bush was on fire running through the Packers defence like they were witches hats. Bush is seriously quick - below are his college track results via a Wikipedia profile. 10.42/21.06; imagine bringing that speed to the AFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Bush

Bush was also a track star. He competed in track at La Mesa (CA) Helix, placing third (10.72) -1.7m in the 2002 California state 100 meters final and posting bests of 10.42 seconds in the 100 meters (the fastest prep time in California in 2002 and the fastest among the nation's 2002 senior footballers) and 21.06 seconds in the 200 meters (third fastest prep in California in 2002). Reggie is still 2nd all time on the 100m dash all time list for San Diego. He placed second in the boys' 50 meters, clocking at 5.85 at the 2003 Los Angeles Invitational Indoor Meet.
Personal bests[edit]
Event Time (seconds) Venue Date
50 meters 5.85 Los Angeles, California February 15, 2003
100 meters 10.42 Cerritos, California May 31, 2002
200 meters 21.06 Cerritos, California May 31, 2002

10 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:56 am

Aarion

Half a dozen 15 year old ran sub 11.4 at the junior champs in Perth this year. I thought AFL players would be right up there.

11 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 pm

ROAD_RUNNER

Aarion wrote:Half a dozen 15 year old ran sub 11.4 at the junior champs in Perth this year.  I thought AFL players would be right up there.

Imo the only AFL player who would be sub 11 or close to sub 11 would be Patrick Dangerfield. AFL players are elite endurance athletes but endurance comes at the cost of power. It would've been great if the AFL had entered athletes in The Gatorade Bolt a couple of years ago. However, the AFL marketing department were probably scared that their players would run 11s. Usually that isn't an issue but when you have commentators continuously making claims like 'Lewis Jetta could be a sprinter in the Olympics if he didn't play AFL' or 'Nic Nat could've been in the Olympics for High Jump if he didn't play AFL' etc. than the public pays more attention to the results.

12 Re: Josh entering the Bay? on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:43 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Whispers wrote:Im not a lawyer but ,is being allocated a mark behind scratch the same as being placed behind scratch.Laughing 

By the way Bazz ,did you read todays advertiser where all of Ports three recruits can run under 11.4 with one of them going 11.1
Where have these boys been hiding or have they run these times at the old school sports days where every runner seems to go a second quicker.
Either short tracks or quick draw Magraw on the timing.
Believe it or not but I almost went under 11.0 at a school sports day once.

Dizzy once went down to the local footy oval with his mum to do a time trial. Mum said she didn't need a stop watch cos she keeps such accurate time in her head; to the nearest tenth of a second she said.

Dizzy put on his footy boots, cos dad said it was muddy and he used to do sprints in the 60s with the Bombers Reserves in footy boots and that's the only way to do sprints on a footy oval.

Dizzy did something special that day. Rounded down to 11 flat she said. Mum's drawn up a program for Dizzy to sprint fast this year. No more 10min races at Warnambool.

Bendigo/Stawell double baby. Mum said so.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum