PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Important Information for VAL Members

Important Information for VAL Members

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
From http://www.val.org.au/News/tabid/132/ID/14/Important-Information-for-VAL-Members.aspx

Dear Members

There will be some steady changes taking place over the next 12 months. Some of which are already underway with the website and new registration/entry system. The website is still in a fairly raw state and has much more to come in the future.

Thank you for your patience and perseverance with us during this time.

Please note the following information:
All race entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERRABLE – Please check your entries carefully before submitting.

Entry payments can only be received via our online entry system – We do not have credit card facilities.

Entries will only be accepted via our online facility – Entries via phone or email will not be accepted.

Entries will NOT be received after the closing date – Our handicappers have on average 400 race entries per week to maintain and cannot continually receive late entries. This will aid in reducing errors and will allow us to provide clubs with necessary information for their event programs in a timely manner. Please make yourself aware event closing dates to avoid disappointment.

Please understand this is largely a volunteer organisation and until such a time that we have streamlined our administration processes, this place an extremely large demand on these volunteers.

Junior competitors – We will have more junior competitors this season than ever before. Please consider this as some may not be fully aware of race day protocols and track etiquette.

Anyone who has trouble registering, please do not leave it to last minute to notify us. We have an external web services team working on our registration system so please allow some time for any necessary corrections.

Responses to Member emails (such as this one) will not be received by the office. Please forward all email correspondence to val@val.org.au

All the best for the season ahead and good luck to those competing at the season opener at Meadowglen this Sunday!

Entries for Terang and Warrnambool close THIS TUESDAY (Nov. 19).

2 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:02 am

Bad Boy Bubby

9 days after entries closed and still waiting for the handicaps.

3 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Fair call BBB, handicaps should be out by now.

4 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:29 pm

WhataboutmeMrHandicapper

Hope this is just an early season hiccup.

5 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 pm

jknott123

the val are promoting a two day event at warrnambool and terang and these clubs rely on val members from melbourne and other country areas to turn up and run.having runners enter then not turning up to run is no value to these clubs as they want motels filled etc.it is 11pm on thursday night and no handicaps out this is ludicrous.

6 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
jknott123 wrote:the val are promoting a two day event at warrnambool and terang and these clubs rely on val members from melbourne and other country areas to turn up and run.having runners enter then not turning up to run is no value to these clubs as they want motels filled etc.it is 11pm on thursday night and no handicaps out this is ludicrous.

Do you honestly think there is a single person entered at Warnambool or Terang sitting by their PC actually considering not running if they don't know their handicap prior to the Saturday?

I'm not suggesting that the situation is ideal but it's the start of the season and I'm willing to forgive a lot, particularly from people who are essentially volunteers. Either way, is there honestly a person out there thinking "I was going to go to Warnambool, but since I don't have my handicap, well... stuff it! I'm not going!"?

7 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 am

jknott123

when its a 6 hour drive return trip and motel expenses yes i do. all runners like to know if their mark has changed from the previous season that determines whether it is worth the expense they will have to pay out.any way why arn't the handicaps out.

8 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:28 am

Downesy

Don't get yourself into a war of faceless words on here Tom. It's not your responsibility to have to come on here and defend yourself and the VAL every time someone has a gripe. We all know that a few things are less than ideal at the moment, however most people seem to think that the VAL is trying to make it hard on purpose. Keep your conspiracy theories for re-runs of the X Files people. Plus, every time you come on here and whinge (faceless of not) you are, a) Sucking eggs by tell us what we already know, b) Worrying about the uncontrollables, and, c) reinforcing how much of a whinger you are. Trust me folks, Tom is working his arse off to better the systems to better serve the league and the sport. If you're still not happy, the office address is on the website. I'm sure Tom could find you a chair, and plenty of work for you to do.

9 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:52 am

jknott123

read my original post,I like some others on this forum asking why the handicaps are not out 1 day before the weekends racing I am not faceless and I dont want tom replying about all the problems val are having just an answer as to why the handicaps are out so late I think its a fair question, as for helping out I live in bendigo otherwise I would only be too happy to do so.

10 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:54 am

Trackstar

Alright Downsey, please show respect to the 'faceless whinger' who happens to be John Knott, not hard to work out from his forum name.
Knotty is a respected coach and past athlete in his own right who has coached winners of numerous races at meets all over Victoria for about 4 decades.
Knotty is no whinger. He just remembers a time when athletes got their marks well before the meet. Like a lot of us he can't understand why the marks can't be published few days before the weekend. Not a whinge just a reasonable request.  All Leagues charge a lot for rego and entries, handicaps published in a timely manner is one service that should be a given. Good enough for SA, WA, TAS and NSW to do it this week.

Could only imagine what the reaction of the Hipworth stable would be if they left for Adelaide on 26/12 without knowing what their Bay Sheffield carnival marks are. We'd definitely hear about it and right enough.

11 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:16 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Dizzy,
I'm so Dizzy, my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool, it never ends
And it's you girl, making it spin
you're making me Dizzy, my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool, it never ends
And it's you girl, making it spin
you're making me Dizzy

12 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:22 am

Downesy

Trackstar wrote:Alright Downsey, please show respect to the 'faceless whinger' who happens to be John Knott, not hard to work out from his forum name.
Knotty is a respected coach and past athlete in his own right who has coached winners of numerous races at meets all over Victoria for about 4 decades.
Knotty is no whinger. He just remembers a time when athletes got their marks well before the meet. Like a lot of us he can't understand why the marks can't be published few days before the weekend. Not a whinge just a reasonable request.  All Leagues charge a lot for rego and entries, handicaps published in a timely manner is one service that should be a given. Good enough for SA, WA, TAS and NSW to do it this week.

Could only imagine what the reaction of the Hipworth stable would be if they left for Adelaide on 26/12 without knowing what their Bay Sheffield carnival marks are. We'd definitely hear about it and right enough.
Fair point Trackstar, and respect to you John that you post under your own name. (and no disrespect Trackster, but who are you, by the way?). Certainly wasn't singling out anyone in particular, however, don't you think we've heard it all before, so many times. I may not like it any more or less than anybody else, but what will griping about it solve? Don't worry, I remember those times (when we had our marks posted out to us etc). I used to drive in to the Spencer Street office and enter my races and pay my money to Barry Curley personally. The fact remains that, no, we don't have our marks yet, we will get our marks, and people will still go to the events and race, regardless of whether they get their marks 1 week or 1 day before the event(s).
The system WILL get better. Just a little patience, and trust that the powers that be are working hard behind the scenes.
The Hippo stable probably wouldn't like it any more or less than anyone else, but will still turn up every week and race. We took a substantial number of runners to Tassie last year, and had some of our marks changed on the day of the meets. Didn't like it. Still raced.

13 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:46 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
To remove any confusion, I'm not Tom Burbidge. I just posted the original info. when I saw it on the VAL site but not on here.

14 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Trackstar, there's a big difference between The Bay and a regular VAL meeting that has the first 100/120 and 400 of the season. The former brings in athletes from all over the country who might otherwise not run in the SAAL and for whom a one-off mark is the make-or-break difference, where as the latter is simply the starting point of the season. An athlete's start mark for the season is going to be the same regardless of whether the first meet comes at the end of a 6 hour drive and motel stay in Warnambool or a 30 minute drive from home to Northcote.

15 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:24 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
ToM, reasonable point if you are an established athlete.

However, if you are not, and in particular an interstate athlete, and there's a couple entered for Terang/Warrnambool, then I think it is understandable that athletes and their coaches would like to see what the handicaps are, at least a few days before the meeting. If, as a coach, you are asked by your athlete, how do you think he would go, it would be nice to know what all the marks are so one can make an assessment of the athletes in relation to the field.

Without access to the fields & handicaps, right now a coach cannot answer that question.

And by the way, SA publishes the handicaps on the Tuesday before every meet, not just the Bay Sheffield. So if, as Adam Coote did for Whyalla, a Victorian athlete enters any SA meet (or NSW meet for that matter), he can see his mark &  be able to compare it to the field, well before hand.

16 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:17 am

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
The silence is deafening! Obviously they have had an issue at the VAL for handicaps to not be declared before a meeting, but communicate with runners and trainers. Shane Mc, you kept us all well informed before the vrta meeting, what is going on and is it now the 'norm' for the rest of the season?

17 Re: Important Information for VAL Members on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:44 am

ShaneMcK

Phantom,
Tom (VAL CEO) is now beginning to streamline some processes. The marks were sent to me yesterday after lunch, and I didn't check my email until this morning, so I will shoulder that part of the blame for the delay in them being posted. By the time the New Year is underway, Tom will have these processes sorted, the handicappers will have a routine and we will be delivering the marks and entry lists much sooner. With some luck, by Northcote we will be spot on for our members.
The marks have been posted in another thread, for both events.
Cheers and good luck to those competing in this double header.

T: twitter.com/ShaneMcKenzie | C: Athletics Australia iCoach Profile
http://www.shanemckenzie.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum