PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » End of a partnership - Sally and Sharon

End of a partnership - Sally and Sharon

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 End of a partnership - Sally and Sharon on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm

DamnFast

Olympic champion Sally Pearson and her coach Sharon Hannan have today announced their intention to end their 14-year coaching relationship.

Full details here - http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2013/october/athletics_australia_statement

2 Re: End of a partnership - Sally and Sharon on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:38 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/split-time-pearson-axes-coach-of-14-years/story-e6frg7mf-1226735718815#sthash.cuYCahtf.dpuf

Split time: Pearson axes coach of 14 years

by: NICOLE JEFFERY
The Australian
October 10, 2013

UNDER pressure to reclaim her mantle as the world's best 100m hurdler, Sally Pearson has left her coach of 14 years, Sharon Hannan.

In a shock move, Pearson announced the split through her management company after meeting Hannan on the Gold Coast yesterday."

The time is right for us to go our separate ways," Pearson said. "Sharon has made me into a champion but I feel that to move to another level I need to freshen up my approach to training, develop fresh ideas and incorporate new challenges into the way I do business."

My competitors are always striving to make themselves better and I must do the same."

Sharon is an amazing coach and I will continue to attribute my success to her."

Pearson's move appears to stem from her defeat by American 21-year-old Brianna Rollins at the world championships in Moscow in August. After two years as the all-conquering queen of the 100m hurdles, during which she acquired the 2011 world title and 2012 Olympic title under Hannan's guidance, Pearson had to settle for silver in Moscow.

Afterwards, Pearson vowed it would be the last time anyone got the better of her at a major championship. "I don't think I can ask for anything more (today), but silver's not going to happen again," she said. "If I had been 100 per cent I would have smashed that race. It really excites me that I know when it counts I can still deliver."

Hannan said that lifting Pearson to the silver medal after she had twice torn her hamstring earlier this year, was the best accomplishment of their careers.

However, Pearson's attitude is clear -- it's gold or nothing, and she believes Hannan has taken her as far as she can.

The 27-year-old Australian has been overtaken by a younger champion in Rollins, whose personal best of 12.26sec is faster than Pearson's best of 12.28sec, and she must respond if she wants to be No 1 again.

Pearson's manager, Robert Joske, said the athlete had "watched her competitors doing new things in training and she wants some fresh ideas and fresh motivation, and she thinks this is the way to get that".

Pearson and Hannan formed one of the most successful athletic partnerships in Australian sport, claiming every major 100m hurdles title on offer between 2010 and 2012 -- Commonwealth, world, world indoor and Olympic.

Pearson was recognised as the best female athlete in the world by the IAAF in 2011.

She will meet national head coach Eric Hollingsworth in the coming days to investigate her coaching options. Joske said Pearson was open to linking with a foreign coach.

In a joint statement from athlete and coach, Hannan put aside her disappointment to wish Pearson well. "Yes, I am disappointed, but Sally and I discussed the options and she believes this is best for her," Hannan said.

Pearson's decision sent shockwaves through athletics, with former Olympic sprinter Ato Boldon tweeting: "Wow. After all that success."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum