PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL »  Pro races proposed for carnivals

Pro races proposed for carnivals

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pro races proposed for carnivals on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
Pro races proposed for carnivals
By By TERRY MORRIS
Sept. 27, 2013, 10:34 p.m.

THE Tasmanian Christmas carnivals could host a series of six races all offering national professional running titles.

The exciting proposal has been put forward by former athletics co-ordinator Rod Walker who wants the Latrobe, Devonport and Burnie clubs involved.

``Ideally Latrobe could run the Australian professional 70 and 120 metres' titles, Devonport would host the 300m and 400m races, and Burnie the 800m and 1600m titles,'' he said.

Walker has suggested that the races carry minimum prizemoney of $2000 and could attract some of the best sprint and distance runners Australia has to offer.

``We could lure back three-time Burnie Gift winner Josh Ross, and the distance races could attract Craig Mottram and Collis Birminham,'' he said.

Walker has already put his idea to Sports Carnivals Association of Tasmania boss Mike Gunson and intends contacting new carnivals promoter John Craven.

``Mike said he would like to see Australia's best women involved as well, and Sally Pearson, Melissa Breen and Zoe Buckland are some names which spring to mind,'' Walker said.

He said this year's Christmas carnivals would be an ideal time to launch the Australian professional titles.

``Next year is the Commonwealth Games, and our elite athletes will be looking to kick off their preparations,'' Walker said.

``If the series is well accepted, there is no reason why the national titles couldn't be held again next year and the year after.''

Walker said the appearance of some of Australia's best runners would help balance the carnivals which have already announced that top cyclists will be involved in a number of criteriums.
Walker has been athletics co-ordinator for the past three years and a committeeman of the Devonport Athletic Club for 10 years.

With no involvement in the overall carnivals this year, he said he would concentrate his efforts on promoting the two-day Devonport carnival and remained hopeful that the new promoters would look favourably on his plan to run the national titles.

2 Re: Pro races proposed for carnivals on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Good luck with that Ron.
Most of those 'proposed' races already carry prizemoney in the thousands of dollars and the 'elites' rarely show (at least in the distance category, A.Rowe being a recent exception). Furthermore, given the standard of distance-handicapping in TAS in recent years, the elites aren't likely to travel across the country to get trounced by some 15 yr old kid who was christened by the handicappers brother's mate and win's in a time 5sec quicker than would win Stawell.

Furthermore, I can't see the other states agreeing that Tasmania should have a monopoly on 'National Pro Racing Championship' events. Perhaps a more equitable distribution of events could be achieved. For example:

400m Albury (NSW)
550m Bay Shef (S.A)
800m Devonport (Tas)
1600m Bendigo (Vic)
3200m Ballarat (Vic)

Obviously, this is far from perfect (eg. the Bendigo Opal is by far the most prestigious), however, it does share the big events relatively accurately according to prestige.

3 Re: Pro races proposed for carnivals on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
Good luck to them for having the balls to do it if they take it up.I cannot remember the last time there was true pro championship races, back in the 80s i think. One has to remember back in those days each state had there own state champions and you had to be good to even get a start.
  If they put them on they have to also pay expenses for the competitors to be there,and I couldn't see any other Meetings that would do that to get all the races. 6 races at $2000 a pop plus expenses and non penalties I think there would be many who would like to get a start. There problem at this late stage would be many already being committed to other meetings for this year.
  Still it would be great if they were back on the agenda.

4 Re: Pro races proposed for carnivals on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Meatpie

COULD COULD COULD. They could get alot of athletes but i doubt it

good luck to them, but these Christmas carnivals in tassie are dieing.

Also it is Zoe Buckman, not Buckland

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum