PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » AAC Awards.

AAC Awards.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 AAC Awards. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
Athlete of the year.
Andrew Robinson TAS.

Sprinter of the year.
Rhys Parkinson VIC.

Coach of the year.
Ray Quarrell TAS.

Women Sprinter of the year.
Gemma Grigg WA.

Distance Athlete of the year.
Alex Bacalja VIC.

Women's Distance Athlete of the year.
Jacqui Dalwood TAS.

Veteran of the year (New One)
Shane Ezard VIC.

Administrator of the year.
Paul Edmiston WA.

Meeting of the year.
Queanbeyan NSW.

South Australia and Queensland did not send in any nominations.

2 Re: AAC Awards. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:09 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks for the awards results.

While the SAAL did not provide any nominations, in my view, the standard of the SA running, particularly in the sprints was not at a level that would warrant being considered for a national award.

All of the recipients were worthy winners, and if I was to change one, maybe sprinter of the year to Matt Hargreaves. The Camden Classic win plus his amazing consistency as a backmarker week in week out making numerous finals tips it in his favour.

Hopefully the standard & depth of SA sprinting gets back to the level it was a few years ago.

3 Re: AAC Awards. on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 am

JH

Expert
Expert
Heroes of Stawell saluted   THE Mercury

BRETT STUBBS   |   August 27, 2013 12.01am

THE duo who delivered Tasmania's first Stawell Gift victory in 72 years have received national recognition, capping a season of sorrow and celebration for a local athletic legend.

At the weekend's Australian Athletic Confederation 2012-13 Season awards, Launceston sprinter Andrew Robinson was named Athlete of the Year for his 2013 Stawell Gift win, while his coach Ray Quarrell picked up Coach of the Year.

To round out the trifecta, Hobart's Jacqui Dalwood was awarded Female Distance Athlete of the Year.

It rounded off a tumultuous season for Quarrell, who lost his home, contents and athletics equipment in the Dunalley bushfires in early January before seeing his No.1 sprinter Robinson make history on Easter Monday.

"The Stawell Gift is the pinnacle in terms of athletics in Australia outside the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, because it is so hard to win and he [Robinson] was the first Tasmanian to win it for 72 years," Quarrell said.

"That is by far the highlight of my coaching career. That was a dream come true after what we'd been through. I couldn't top that.

"With this award, it is nice to be recognised by your peers and it is not to be sneezed at."

Quarrell, 65, has spent 41 years competing in or coaching athletics.

He said life was slowly returning to normal for him and wife Kath.

"We go down [to Dunalley] every weekend and they are slowly rebuilding it, but there is an ache in your heart all the time that you want to be settled down back in your house," he said.

It is the second time Quarrell has won the award, having been the recipient for the 2002-03 season.

But he said given the turmoil of last season, his award should be shared among all his stable.

"It is not an individual thing, I couldn't have done it without the support of the group as a whole," Quarrell said.

"It is like a family."

Tasmania narrowly missed out on a fourth award with the Bikes and Spikes Carnival pipped by Queanbeyan for Meeting of the Year.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum