PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Jess Trengrove - best ever performance in WC Women's Marathon

Jess Trengrove - best ever performance in WC Women's Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/adelaide-marathon-runner-jess-trengove-impresses-in-moscow-world-championships/story-fnii08h4-1226694885665

Adelaide marathon runner Jess Trengove impresses in Moscow world championships

By Scott Gillan
Adelaide Now website
10 August 2013

IN just her third career marathon, Adelaide's Jess Trengove has recorded the best finish by an Australian at a world championships.

Trengove, the older sister of Melbourne's AFL captain Jack, stormed home over the final stages through the streets of Moscow to finish 11th in 2hr37min11sec.

Australia's previous best was by the late Kerryn McCann who finished 15th at the 1995 world championships in Gothenburg.

Kenya's Edna Kiplagat won her second world title when she pulled away from Italy's Valeria Straneo over the final two kilometres to win in 2:25.44.

Trengove, who turns 26 on Thursday, said she'd been inspired by watching footage of McCann's memorable victory at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.

"She is one of my idols," she said.

"My coach actually sent me some footage from the Melbourne Commonwealth Games of her.

"I guess because I am a little bit newer to running I didn't really pay a lot of attention to running back then.

"So when I was watching that footage I actually didn't know where she was going to finish so I got the tingles and everything when I saw her cross the line.

"She was an unbelievable runner and we've got a great history of distance running which is really inspiring for runners coming through.

"I forwarded it (McCann's victory) onto my parents and they just wrote back saying they had tears pouring down, that gave us tingles and we hope that's you one day soon."

Trengove ran her first marathon in Japan in March last year clocking 2hr31.02sec which qualified her for the London Olympics.

Despite her inexperience, she ran impressively to finish 39th at the Games.

In Moscow she was confronted by hot steamy conditions and slowly moved her way through the pack after climbing to 24th at the half-way mark.

"My aim was to not get passed in the second half and run through the field and that's what I did," she said.

"It's really exciting as I didn't know what to expect today.

"I knew I had to run smart because of the heat and I think it was a really controlled race.

"I really love this event, it's good to finish one and be thinking that."

Trengove, whose 11th place guarantees her a spot at next year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, said she was thinking about her brother, Jack, during the race as the Demons were taking on the Gold Coast at the same time.

"I would love to hear that my brother had a win back in Australia," she said before being informed they'd lost to the Suns.

"I was thinking of him while I was running because I know he was playing at about the same time I was running and my parents were up there watching him.

"Either way we will celebrating from opposite sides of the world."

The three other Australian representatives struggled with Lauren Shelley coming 40th, Nikki Chapple 45th while Jane Fardell failed to finish.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum