PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » SAAL - Expression of Interest - Handicappers and new Officials

SAAL - Expression of Interest - Handicappers and new Officials

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Hi Michelle and Deb

I wish to express my interest in the Handicapper role for Over35 and over45 sprints (races up to 400m).

I would enact a transparent system.

I would write software (Windows single user) to :
- input SAAL races and results
- input nonSAAL results
- input athletes details
- report athlete+event SAAL results history (for verification purposes or on request)
- report athlete+event nonSAAL results history (for verification purposes or on request)
- report athlete+event SAAL handicap history
- report athlete+event current SAAL handicap

I would develop the rules for calculating "current SAAL handicap" from "SAAL results history".
I have a number of ideas which I would be happy to discuss at length.

I estimate the development time to be three to four weeks, so I could do the software in August.
I estimate the data entry time to be one week, so I could do the data entry in early September.
Hopefully a lot of the data would be available as Excel spreadsheets or similar.

I would want to retain ownership of the software (and similar software which I will also develop).

I would want to continue to compete in SAAL over35 and over45 events.

Perhaps I could also handle other races (other than over35 and over45).

Best wishes
from
Brett Stokes

To: saal@internode.on.net
Sent: Monday, 29 July 2013 2:57 PM
Subject: Expression of Interest - Handicappers and new Officials

Expression of Interest - Handicappers

It is the time of year to fill the positions of handicappers. We currently have expressions of interest from Leon Burckhardt who is happy to continue in his role as Sprint Handicapper for the Open and Women Categories 0 – 400m and Gary Zeuner who is happy to continue as the Distance Handicapper for all athletes 401m+.

Leon is unable to continue handicapping all sprint races this season so we are seeking expressions of interest from anyone interested in taking on the role of sprint handicapper for the other categories (i.e. Under 14, Under 17, Under 20 and Over 35).

Whilst Leon is happy to stay involved and willing to handicap the Open and Women categories he is also prepared to stand aside if someone else would like to be responsible for all the sprint races.

If you, or someone you know is interested in this position, please do not hesitate to contact the office on (08) 8443 6177.

Expression of Interest – Officials

The Management Committee are currently looking for officials for the 2013 / 2014 season. If we do not get sufficient officials the bottom line is that we will not be able to run events. We need to recruit additional starters this season as Anton is only available for limited Carnivals and we cannot expect Brian and Brenda to carry the full workload without Anton. If you have any interest in helping in this area we would love to hear from you.

We also require an equipment manager - someone who can assist with the transporting of the trailer to meets when required and to assist with the set up and pack up of all the equipment.

If you, or someone you know is interested in any of the official positions, or would like further information as to what is involved, please do not hesitate to contact the office on (08) 8443 6177 ASAP. We are always looking for enthusiastic people who want to get involved and we would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

Early Bird Fees Extended until 5/08/13

Thank you to all the enthusiastic athletes and coaches who have taken advantage of the Early Bird prices and already registered for the 2013/2014 season.

Early Bird Fees have been extended until Monday 5th August 2013 so if you would like to take advantage of the reduced fees you have 1 week to do so. Details of how to renew your registration or retrieve your passwords can be found on the Home Page of the website or in previous emails.

Kind regards

Michelle Burckhardt / Deb Osmond
Executive Officers
SA Athletic League
T 08 8443 6177
E saal@internode.on.net
www.saal.org.au

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I like Stokesy's enthusiasm and if he decides to retire the handicapping role might be a good way for him to stay involved. But you can't handicap events you run in. The conflict of interest is enormous. Stokesy should put his hand up for the under 14's. He's in a stable that doesn't have Under 14's and his theories can be tested in an area limited to about 10 races for the season that can be easily monitored.

3 a transparent system on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Hi Morph

The idea of a transparent system is that all decisions are public.
Also the reasons for decisions are made public.

In the current "mystery" system of handicapping, there are indeed conflicts of interest, with secret decisions made for secret reasons amidst secret lobbying.
And some of these secret decisions get reversed when exposed.
Even the recent results are hidden.
With such a system, how do you ever demonstrate lack of conflict of interest?

So I say that a transparent system is much better as regards "conflict of interest" aspects.

Best wishes

4 "Computer Says No" on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
RE: Expression of Interest - Handicappers and new Officials

From SAAL

To 'Brett Stokes'

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your expression of interest in the role of handicapper for Over 35 / Over 45 races in season 2013 / 2014.

The management committee has considered your interest / application. In circumstances where you compete in the same category of races that you have applied to handicap, there is an obvious conflict of interest. The management committee cannot accept your application.

Thanks again for your offer, and good luck for season 2013 / 2014.

Kind regards,
Michelle

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum