PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Yesterday at 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Yesterday at 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tyson Gay & Asafa Powell Test Positive for Banned Substance

Tyson Gay & Asafa Powell Test Positive for Banned Substance

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star

ShaneMcK

http://www.shanemckenzie.com

racingmania

Devastated.
Gay and Powell are the last two guys you would think would knowingly take illegal substances.
Gay sounds distraught and I hope he can tell us what happened very soon. Honourable thing to withdraw from the world champs and man up to this f**k up.
Wish all athletes just stuck to a balanced diet and stopped taking anything that wasn't naturally available in everyday food items.
Wishful thinking.

racingmania

Asafa powell's statement

http://twitpic.com/d2nve5

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/us-100-meter-sprinter-tyson-gay-tests-positive-for-banned-substance/story-e6frg6n6-1226679366279

Sprint stars Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell test positive for banned substance

The Australian
July 15, 2013
8:56AM

TYSON Gay and Asafa Powell, two of the four fastest men in history, sent shockwaves through the blue riband 100m on Sunday when both men failed drug tests.

Gay, the 30-year-old American who was world champion in 2007 and the fastest man in the world this year, tested positive for a banned substance and immediately withdrew from next month's world championships in Moscow.

Jamaican sprint star Powell, a former 100m world record holder, confirmed that he had tested positive for a banned stimulant at his country's national trials for Moscow.

But the 30-year-old strenuously denied any wrong doing.

Only Olympic champion and world record holder Usain Bolt (9.58sec) has gone faster than Gay, whose best of 9.69sec he shares with Yohan Blake of Jamaica. Powell is the fourth fastest man of all time with 9.72sec.

Gay was informed by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) on Friday of his failed test and on Sunday the USA Track & Field (USATF) said he had pulled out of the world championships.

American Tyson Gay and Jamaican Asafa Powell pictured in the men's 100m semi-final race of the 2009 IAAF Athletics World Championships in Berlin.
"He stated he is withdrawing,'' said USATF spokesperson Jill Geer.

USADA said Sunday that the 30-year-old's B sample has yet to be tested so they would not confirm or deny the failed test.

"In response to Mr. Gay's statements, USADA appreciates his approach to handling this situation and his choice to voluntarily remove himself from competition while the full facts surrounding his test are evaluated,'' USADA media relations manager Annie Skinner said.

"The B sample will be processed shortly, and as in all cases all athletes are innocent unless or until proven otherwise through the established legal process, and any attempt to sensationalise or speculate is a disservice to due process, fair play, and to those who love clean sport.''

Gay told US media he had made a mistake and been let down by someone else.

USATF said they would continue to look towards USADA to help them weed out drug cheats in the sport.

"USA Track & Field is strongly opposed to doping, and we respect the work that USADA has done as a leading agency globally in the fight against drugs in sport,'' USATF chief executive Max Siegel said.

Gay had run the fastest time in the world this year at June's US trials for the world championships in Iowa. His 9.75sec was the 10th fastest 100m of all time.

World record holder Bolt's best time over 100m this season is 9.94sec set in Kingston in June.

Gay won the triple of 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay in Osaka at the 2007 world championships while also claiming a 4x100m silver medal at the London Olympics last year.

Powell, also 30, took to Twitter to confirm his dope test failure.

"I will confirm that a sample I gave at the National Trials in June has returned 'adverse findings','' he said. "The substance oxilofrine was found, which is considered by the authorities to be a banned stimulant.

"I want to be clear that I have never knowingly or wilfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules. I am not now nor have I ever been a cheat.''

Powell held the 100m world record between June 2005 and May 2008.

He won two bronze medals in the 100 metres at the 2007 and 2009 world championships. He also had one gold in the 4x100 metre relay in 2009.

But he has never managed an individual sprint medal at the Olympics, finishing fifth in the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Olympic 100 metre finals and limping home in eighth place in the final in London last summer.

According to media reports, Powell was one of five athletes who failed drug tests at the national trials last month in Kingston.

Later Sunday, Powell's agent, Tara Playfair-Scott, revealed on Twitter that a man who allegedly supplied the supplements had been arrested in Italy.

"He has been detained by Italian Law Enforcement in conjunction with this matter. The investigations continue,'' she wrote.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/asafa-powell-and-tyson-gay-leave-track-and-field-on-edge-of-abyss/story-e6frg7mf-1226679821718

Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay leave track and field on edge of abyss

by:NICOLE JEFFERY
July 16, 2013

American Tyson Gay and Jamaican Asafa Powell pictured in the men's 100m semi-final race of the 2009 IAAF Athletics
World Championships in Berlin. Source: AFP

TRACK and field is teetering on a credibility precipice following news that two of the fastest four 100m sprinters in history - Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell - have failed drug tests in the past two months.

With just weeks to the start of the world championships in Moscow, the sport faces its biggest crisis since the Balco scandal, during which triple Olympic gold medallist Marion Jones was jailed for lying to a court about her drug use, then stripped of her five Olympic medals.

Those revelations left track and field reeling in 2007 and it was widely concluded that only Usain Bolt's emergence at the 2008 Beijing Olympics had pulled it out of a death spiral.

However, a series of positive drug tests this year has placed the sport back in the kind of peril that cycling is facing following the Lance Armstrong affair.

Dual Olympic 200m champion Veronica Campbell-Brown was provisionally suspended last month after testing positive for the banned diuretic furosemide, and has been followed by cases involving Gay, Powell and Olympic relay gold medallist Sherone Simpson. Powell and Simpson are reported to be two of five athletes who tested positive at last month's Jamaican trials.

Bolt's agent, Ricky Simms, was quick to announce that the Olympic champion was not involved.

As news of the positive tests emerged, 30-year-old Gay, who has the world's best 100m time of 9.75sec this year, announced he would withdraw from next month's world championships and co-operate fully with anti-doping investigators.

"I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies, I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake," he told AP. "I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."

Powell said he had "never knowingly or willfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules".

Jamaican newspapers have suggested that a rogue trainer provided supplements to Powell and possibly Simpson, who are part of the same training group. Both have tested positive to the stimulant oxilofrine (methylsyne-phrine), which is banned only in competition.

Powell's publicist, Tara Playfair-Scott, announced via the runner's Twitter account that the room of "the individual who gave Asafa the supplements has now been raided (and) he has been detained by Italian law enforcement".

Powell, who became the inspiration for a generation of Jamaican sprinters, said the result "has left me completely devastated in many respects".

"I am not now nor have I ever been a cheat. My fault is not cheating, but instead not being more vigilant."

Regardless of the merits of individual cases, the overwhelming impression is of a sport where cheating is rife, and its survival in jeopardy.

The doping issues in the Jamaican system compound those already identified in Russia and Turkey, where the IAAF has conducted a program of targeted testing that has produced startling results.

Turkey's Olympic 1500m champion Asli Cakir Alptekin was suspended in May after abnormalities were detected in her blood profile and there are reports of up to 30 more cases pending.

In Russia, more than 40 athletes are currently suspended for doping violations.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/15/asafa-powell-sherone-simpson-tyson-gay

Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson have hotel rooms raided by police

guardian.co.uk,
Tuesday 16 July 2013

Italian police have raided the hotel where the Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson are staying after each tested positive for banned stimulants.

Udine's police captain, Antonio Pisapia, said that rooms of the athletes and the physical trainer Chris Xuereb of Canada were searched and that drugs were confiscated. Pisapia said it was unclear if the drugs were legal or illicit and that the substances were being analysed.

Powell and Simpson tested positive for the stimulant oxilofrine at the Jamaican championships last month, their agent announced on Sunday.

Pisapia said that no arrests were made in the raid early on Monday morning at the Fra i Pini hotel in Lignano Sabbiadoro, north-eastern Italy, and that nobody has been placed under investigation. Jamaican athletes have trained in Lignano for years.

Adidas, meanwhile, has suspended its sponsorship of Tyson Gay after the American sprinter returned a positive doping test. After being told a banned substance was detected in an out-of-competition test in May, Gay pulled out of the upcoming world championships.

In a statement, Adidas said: "We are shocked by these recent allegations, and even if we presume his innocence until proven otherwise, our contract with Tyson is currently suspended."

The sportswear giant has backed Gay since 2005, and says such sponsorships are terminated "if the athlete is found guilty of the possession, or use of drugs, or any other prohibited substance by the relevant governing sports body having jurisdiction over the athlete".

Gay has said he will have his B sample tested soon, possibly as early as this week.

The IOC president, Jacques Rogge, said the tests showed out of competition testing was working. Rogge told www.aroundtherings.com: "I was surprised and disappointed but I feel strengthened by the measures that have been taken by Usada [the US Anti-Doping Agency], by Wada [the World Anti-Doping Agency] and the world of sport in general.

"It's always disappointing when you hear bad news but at the same time this is confirmation that out of competition testing really is effective. I think that's what we have to remember about that. To continue to do out-of-competition testing, testing, testing all the time and storing blood profiles and freezing the samples and re-examining them within the eight years statute of limitation."

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10181366/Asafa-Powell-blames-positive-drug-test-on-supplements-given-to-him-by-new-physiotherapist.html

Asafa Powell blames positive drug test on supplements given to him by new physiotherapist

By Simon Hart
UK Telegraph
15 Jul 2013

Hope: Asafa Powell could receive a reduced punishment if he can show he unwittingly took supplements containing
a banned substance Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Accused Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell is battling to salvage his career by blaming his positive drug test for the stimulant oxilofrine on a range of new nutritional supplements prescribed to him by a physiotherapist he has only been working with for two months.

In a dramatic twist to the drug scandal that has engulfed the sport, it can be revealed that Powell and Jamaican team-mate Sherone Simpson, who also claims to have been given the same supplements and failed a drug test for the identical substance, contacted the World Anti-Doping Agency and requested a police raid on the hotel where they have been staying with the physio, Canadian former athlete and American footballer Chris Xuereb, in Lignano, northern Italy.

After obtaining the necessary search warrant, Italian police arrived at the hotel on Sunday evening and searched the rooms of Powell, Simpson and Xuereb, before ­removing all supplements and medicines. Police said around 50 substances had been sent to a laboratory in Italy to test for the presence of performance-enhancing drugs.

Under Wada’s ‘strict liability’ rule, athletes have a responsibility for what they put in their bodies but Powell and Simpson could receive a reduced punishment if they can they show they unwittingly took supplements containing a banned substance.

According to Paul Doyle, the athletes’ United States-based manager, Powell and Simpson were expecting the arrival of the police but kept Xuereb in the dark about it.

“He [Xuereb] was brought in for questioning,” Doyle said. “I got a message from him afterwards, an angry message, saying he was detained for seven hours. He did use the word arrested but I don’t think he truly was arrested.”

Doyle says he has no reason to suspect any “mal-intent” on Xuereb’s part and that, like his athletes, he was probably unaware what the supplements contained. “I think that’s probably the case but, at the same time we couldn’t take any chances so we didn’t want to alert him or anything like that,” he said.

Powell and Simpson, part of Jamaica’s silver-winning 4x100m team at the London Olympics, were revealed to have tested positive on Sunday just hours after American sprinter Tyson Gay confessed to a failed drug test in a separate case.

Gay is still awaiting the results of a second test on a back-up urine sample but suffered the first serious consequence of his positive yesterday when his kit sponsor, Adidas, announced it was suspending its contract with him. A spokesman said: “We are shocked by these allegations.”

Gay, who has recorded the three fastest 100 metres times in the world this year but has withdrawn from next month’s World Championships in Moscow, has refused to provide details about the circumstances of his failed drug test or the name of the substance involved.

But Doyle, who has represented Powell and Simpson for their entire track careers, has chosen to publicly outline his athletes’ defence.

In an interview with Telegraph Sport, Doyle said: “Asafa and Sherone have been working with Wada to arrange this police raid, so to speak. Once we knew of the positive test, we realised that Asafa and Sherone were the only two athletes in the group who had been given new supplements by this phsyio that they are working with.

“Asafa’s had probably 150 to 200 clear tests in the past. He starts ­working with a new physio who gives him new supplements and all of a sudden he has a positive test in his first test. It’s obvious there’s no other reason why he would have tested positive other than something being in the new supplements he’s been taking. So we immediately asked Wada to get the police there to go in and search everything in the physio’s possession as well as everything in Asafa and Sherone’s possession.”

Doyle hired Xuereb in May to treat Powell for his persistent health issues, which flared up when he injured his hamstring in Australia in March.

According to Doyle, Powell was put on 17 supplements by Xuereb, three of which were administered by injection, though he insists all of them were legal. He added that Simpson had checked online that none of the ingredients was on the banned list, though he admitted that he did not seek independent medical verification.

He also conceded that Powell had flouted the rules of his coach, Stephen Francis, by not declaring to him what supplements he was taking.

Despite declining to go into detail about his case, Gay is also likely to claim that his positive drug test was the result of being given a substance he did not know was banned. He said on Sunday: “I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.”

In an interview in USA Today, Gay’s long-term coach, Lance Brauman, denied that he was the person who betrayed the sprinter’s trust but would not reveal who Gay had been alluding to. Brauman said: “This person or people that he put his trust into had no affiliation with me or anyone else in my training group.”

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://trackalerts.com/2013/07/15/ato-boldon-wants-distinction-between-stimulants-steroids/

Ato Boldon wants distinction between stimulants & steroids

Posted by Michael Bascombe
Trackalerts.Com Contributor
July 15, 2013

NEW YORK – Four-time Olympic medallist Ato Boldon wants athletes to be allowed to take certain supplements up to a certain category and a clear distinction between stimulants and steroids.

Amidst the revelation that top sprinters Tyosn Gay and Asafa Powell were among athletes who tested positive for banned substances, Boldon told NBC’s Olympic Talk that “now is the time to make a big distinction, to allow athletes to take certain supplements up to a certain category.”

“Anything past that level, don’t ask for leniency.” It’s a joke within the track and field community that civilians probably couldn’t pass a drug test because of what’s in their medicine cabinet,” he added

On Sunday, Gay, the American 100 metre record holder, and Jamaicans Powell and Sherone Simpson were confirmed as testing positive for banned substances. This follows another Jamaican, Veronica Campbell-Brown, failing a doping test in May.

The former Trinidad & Tobago Olympian said that “one change I’d like to see from all this is a distinction to be made between supplements and stimulants and what we call “the hard stuff” — steroids and human growth hormone.”

“As for punishments, I would be surprised to see any of Gay, Powell or Campbell-Brown get more than six months, certainly nowhere near the possible two years. Go away and atone for your sins this year. We’ll see them back next year, hoping the public and the sponsors forgive them and that they’ve learned the error of their ways.”

Boldon, who admitted taking supplements during his tenure as an athlete, said there are athletes who will not risk taking steroids to ruin their career at this time.

“The fact is that the culture of track and field, especially right now, is that there are a ton of elite athletes who are scared to lose their legacy forever and lose their medals. They will not go into the steroid/human growth hormone area. They will not risk it.”

“However, they will take supplements. I took supplements every year of my career. It’s not a coincidence that Campbell-Brown, Powell and Gay, assuming this all comes out as stimulants, that they are all pushing the envelope of 30 or older. They’re trying to extend their careers a little bit,” he said.

“What you’re seeing is people thinking this supplement is fine and are assured it’s not going to register a positive.”

The recent doping revelation mirrors the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO) scandal which involved the widespread use of banned, performance-enhancing substances by elite athletes, prompting a United States Federal Government investigation.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130716/tyson-gay-positive-test-news/#ixzz2ZGsuoVva

U.S. sprinter Tyson Gay linked to anti-aging specialist

By David Epstein
Sports Illustrated
Tue July 16, 2013

After months of relative calm in U.S. track and field -- and encouraging performances heading into the world championships next month in Moscow -- the sport was dealt a setback Sunday when sprinter Tyson Gay, who has the world's fastest time this year in the 100 meters, admitted that an A sample of one of his drug tests had come back positive.

Reached by the Associated Press, Gay tearfully eschewed a "sabotage story" and refused to proffer one of the alibis that have become almost commonplace. Instead, after acknowledging that his A sample tested positive, he said, "I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake." (Gay's B sample hasn't been tested yet.)

SI has learned that Gay has been treated by Atlanta chiropractor and anti-aging specialist Clayton Gibson. In the sports world, the term "anti-aging" has often come to signify therapy that uses hormones -- usually testosterone and HGH -- and testosterone precursors, like DHEA. DHEA can be obtained over the counter and is permitted in certain sports, including baseball, but not those contested in the Olympics.

Gay, who has withdrawn from the world championships, did not respond to multiple requests for comment from SI, and one of his agents told SI that his client would have no further statements at this time.

Reached by phone, Gibson told SI that he began working with Gay before the Olympic trials last year, and that he had no information beyond that Gay had been informed of a positive test. "We had [Gay's] blood tested and everything before the trials just as an evaluation and taking a history to learn about the patient," said Gibson.

Asked whether he provided Gay with a product containing a substance -- such as DHEA or testosterone -- that is banned in track and field, Gibson declined to comment "until I talk with Tyson." Gibson did say that, "what I have is all food-based products and herbals as well as homeopathic products. That's the only thing we have in our office. We don't have anything synthetic." DHEA and testosterone often come in creams containing substances banned in track and field. Asked if he makes creams that might contain substances banned in track, Gibson said he was not sure and that, "I don't make creams," but added, "We have labs that make those."

Gibson said that he did not know exactly what Gay was taking. "Until I look at his files, I wouldn't be able to know exactly what he was given," he said. "And I have to have a release to give out his information."

Gibson said that Gay had been referred to him by former U.S. sprinter Jon Drummond, who once coached Gay and was the Team USA relay coach at the 2012 Olympics. Gay was a member of the 4x100-meter relay team in London. Drummond denied in a text message to SI that he referred Gay to Gibson, but said he met the doctor with Gay last year. "I had heard good reports about [Gibson] from various athletes, so I hoped to engage in some due diligence with respect to his practice, just as I have done with many medical providers over the years ... I did not recommend that Tyson enter a relationship with him, long-term or otherwise. I have not worked with Tyson since September 2012 and have no knowledge as to what relationships he may have entered during that period."

Gibson said that, in addition to being a chiropractor, he has a "board certification in anti-aging, regenerative and functional medicine," through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. (Anti-aging is not a specialty recognized by the American Medical Association.)

Gibson did not want to talk about specific patients, but he said that he also works with other pro athletes. In a 2011 interview with ESPN, safety Ed Reed, then of the Ravens and now of the Texans, said that he and other players worked in the offseason with "Dr. Clayton Gibson and his anti-aging program in Miami every day for four hours. We do acupuncture, chiropractic work, foot detoxes." (Through the Texans, Reed declined to comment about Gibson.)

With respect to the blood testing he conducted on Gay, Gibson said it was used to give a baseline so that he could "use herbs, vitamins, and minerals for balancing the overall body, where there are deficiencies based off of lab work."

By Tuesday, Gibson would no longer speak directly with SI and had retained attorney Mark Trigg because "of the comments that are being made publicly," Trigg said.

Gibson repeatedly emphasized that, "I don't carry anything that's not food-based." But when asked directly if he was saying that he does not refer patients to products containing testosterone, DHEA, or other products often used by anti-aging specialists and that are banned in track and field, he replied: "No, I'm not telling you that. It all depends."

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10183242/Asafa-Powell-may-have-been-taking-19-different-supplements-when-he-tested-positive-for-drugs.html
Asafa Powell may have been taking 19 different supplements when he tested positive for drugs

By Ben Rumsby
UK Telegraph
16 Jul 2013

Asafa Powell may have been on as many as 19 different supplements when he failed his drugs test, the sprinter’s agent admitted on Tuesday night.

Paul Doyle disclosed just how much Powell had become reliant on products he said had been supplied by new trainer Christopher Xuereb after it emerged that the former 100 metres world record holder was now the subject of a criminal investigation over an alleged violation of Italy’s doping laws.

Xuereb and Powell’s Jamaican team-mate Sherone Simpson – who also failed a drugs test at the national trials in Kingston last month – were being investigated as well following a police raid on the hotel in the north-eastern town of Lignano Sabbiadoro at which the trio were staying during a training camp.

Officers confiscated unidentified substances which Udine prosecutors believe could put all three in breach Article 9 of Italian doping laws.

Doyle, who represents both Powell and 2012 Olympics silver medallist Simpson, admitted he and his athletes failed to make absolutely certain they knew what the products the sprinters had taken.

“In hindsight, we should’ve been given a list, made sure we got a list,” Doyle said. “I said to [Xuereb] in a text message that all supplements have to be cleared by me first. He never cleared them with me. He did send them in an invoice that had the names of supplements in there that he had purchased. But that was it.

I didn’t have the ingredient list. Just looked at it this morning, 19 different supplements [Powell] was given.”

Italian police were on Tuesday night still analysing the substances seized during Monday’s raid that was seemingly sanctioned by both athletes without the knowledge of Xuereb, a Canadian who has emerged as a key figure in the explosive revelations of the last 48 hours.

Doyle disclosed that Powell and Simpson, who deny knowingly taking banned substances, had left Lignano but declined to say where they went. A hotel receptionist said on Monday that Xuereb had checked out. He did not respond to emails seeking comment.

“We’re not trying to throw Chris under the bus and blame him for anything,” said Doyle, who welcomed the police investigation. “We’re not saying he did anything deliberate, but it’s in those supplements.”

Powell and Simpson were among five Jamaican athletes to test positive at last month’s national championships, while American Tyson Gay failed a doping test in May for an as yet unidentified substance.

Gay – who also insisted he did not knowingly cheat – and Powell would have been on the start list for next weekend’s Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium.

UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner was confident the current scandal would not tarnish what had been billed as a celebration to mark a year since the start of London 2012.

“This is quite rightly unavoidable as a topic of discussion,” he said on Tuesday night. “But I believe that the 60,000-odd people in the Olympic Stadium for each day of those Anniversary Games are going to see some amazing athletics and love it, and wallow in the memories of last year and celebrate the great feats they see in front of them.”

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/17/asafa-powell-trainer-denies-doping

Asafa Powell's trainer denies wrongdoing over drugs scandal

guardian.co.uk,
Wednesday 17 July 2013

Asafa Powell's trainer has insisted he is not to blame for the Jamaican sprinter's positive drugs test and claims he is being made a scapegoat.

Chris Xuereb, a Canadian, has had the finger of blame pointed at him by Powell's agent Paul Doyle after the sprinter and three-times Olympic medallist Sherone Simpson, both tested positive for the same banned stimulant oxilofrine.

Xuereb, who only began working with the sprinters in May, said in an emailed statement: "It is time the athletes took responsibility for their doping instead of looking around for a scapegoat whether that person is their therapist, bartender or anyone else.

"I am extremely disappointed that these athletes have chosen to blame me for their own violations."

He added: "I did not provide any banned or illegal substances to Asafa Powell or Sherone Simpson. While I did recommend vitamins, all vitamins recommended by me were all purchased over the counter at reputable nutritional stores and were major brands.

"These athletes did not inform me that they were taking any additional supplementation other than what I recommended and it is obvious that these athletes were taking additional supplements that were not discussed or known to me."

Xuereb pointed out that three other Jamaican athletes also tested positive at the same event where Powell and Simpson provided the samples, and that he had had no contact with the other three.

Prosecutors in Italy yesterday launched a criminal investigation into Powell, Simpson and Xuereb, who are at a training base in Ligano.

Authorities are investigating whether the trio have violated the law on doping. Italy is one of a few countries in the world that can impose criminal sanctions for doping offences on top of standard sporting sanctions.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum