PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Surf clubs and coaches lure South Australia's best - Caldow to the Gold Coast

Surf clubs and coaches lure South Australia's best - Caldow to the Gold Coast

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/more-sport/surf-clubs-and-coaches-lure-south-australias-best/story-fnduixme-1226647947394

Surf clubs and coaches lure South Australia's best

Kym Morgan
The Advertiser
May 21, 2013
11:00PM

BIG clubs, the best coaches and swimmer-friendly beaches are proving enticing for SA's best surf lifesavers, with many moving to the eastern states in recent seasons.

The good news for SA is that locally produced stars who move east can still compete as Croweaters, thanks to the sport's new State of Origin rule.

Introduced last season, the rule allows up to four relocated athletes to compete in red, blue and gold, provided they completed their Bronze Medallion lifesaving award in SA.

Noosa-based former Grange star, Jake McKenzie competed for SA under the rule this year.

World under-19 beach sprint champion Jordan Caldow is the latest athlete to head east.

Caldow, will relocate to Currumbin Surf Life Saving Club to train under renowned beach sprint and track coach Brett Robinson next summer.

In recent seasons, Southport gun Jake Nicholson (Northcliffe), and ex-West Beach star Steph Ballantine (Kurrawa) have joined McKenzie and Caldow in the eastern states.

Olympic kayaking medallist and surf lifesaver Hannah Davis has switched from Glenelg to Queensland's Northcliffe and spends some time training in Queensland. She continues to live in Adelaide.

Surf Life Saving SA surf sports manager Mike Schetter said every year, one or two of SA's top athletes were heading to Queensland.

He said the biggest clubs in the sunshine state had several full-time coaches and world-class facilities.

"Weather is also a huge factor," Schetter said.

Nicholson realised a childhood ambition this year when he qualified for the Nutri-Grain Ironman Series, which meant competing on TV and could lead to sponsorship deals.

"I moved as soon as I left school to chase the dream," said Nicholson, now 20.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

racingmania

Speedy Dude must be so excited about Caldow moving to the gold coast.
Training and competing in the same town, we'll get to see some good clashes no doubt. Twisted Evil

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum