PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton Open Gift
Yesterday at 2:38 pm by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Powell missing his mate Frater

Powell missing his mate Frater

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Powell missing his mate Frater on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130420/sports/sports12.html

Powell missing Frater

By Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter
The Jamaican Gleaner
Saturday | April 20, 2013

Sprinting star Asafa Powell has admitted to feeling the effects of Michael Frater's recent move from the MVP Track Club but made it clear that he has never considered leaving the University of Technology-based club, as he weighed in on the recent moves affecting the unit.

Powell, who recently resumed training after suffering a hamstring injury while competing in Australia at the Stawell Gift Festival over the Easter weekend, had trained with Frater for over 10 years at MVP but is still learning to come to grips with the absence of his close friend.

"The atmosphere in the camp is not the same because he (Frater) was pretty much my training partner, we trained together," said Powell. "I feel most comfortable when he is there training with me, but I will just have to do without. I have been training with him for 10 years or so now, so it's about transitioning and it's a bit different, you just have to do what you have to do."

Frater, a 100m silver medallist at the 2005 IAAF World Championships, ended a long-standing relationship with the club and its head coach Stephen Francis late last year after his ascension to a vice-president role on the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association caused a rift between himself and the celebrated coach.

Olympic and world 400m hurdles champion Melaine Walker followed through the door two weeks ago, joining Frater at neighbouring Racers Track Club, and while stating that he understood Frater's situation, Powell said he was struggling to decipher Walker's decision to change camps.

"To be honest, I am not going to be biased, I only know the reason why Michael Frater left I don't know the reason for Melaine (Walker), so I can't really comment on that, but Michael he had no choice but to leave; he had a fallout but he is still working hard, he is still my teammate and we compete for the same country," Powell said. "We still talk a lot and hangout every day."

Powell, who said he will be working a lot closer with Nesta Carter now, underlined his comfort at MVP and praised Francis, who he described as a misunderstood person.

"I have never considered a switch in camps. I think people don't try to find out exactly what is going on; you can't go anywhere else in the world and find a coach who begs you to train and coach (Francis) is like that and that is why he has so much success," Powell said.

"He will find you wherever you are and ensure that you are training and that is why some persons say that he is aggressive, but he just loves his job and wants you to do well," he added.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Powell missing his mate Frater on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/athletics/Going-nowhere_14109295#ixzz2RGVm9DLT

Powell missing training partner Frater

BY HOWARD WALKER Observer senior reporter
The Jamaican Observer
Monday, April 22, 2013

WITH two high-profile athletes walking out of the MVP camp in recent times, Asafa Powell, the man whose name is synonymous with the club, said he has no intention of leaving despite rumours of a mass exodus.

Last December, Michael Frater, a founding member of MVP and now third vice-president of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), switched to Racers Track Club after a fallout with head coach Stephen Francis.

Then within the last two weeks, Olympic 400m hurdles champion Melaine Walker packed her bags and walked, also joining rival club Racers, again following a fallout with Francis.

Walker, in several interviews, cited Francis's broken promise and dictatorial behaviour as some of the main reasons for her departure.

But Powell, the former 100m world record holder, who basically single-handedly put MVP on the map, said he is going nowhere and gave his piece on the issue.

"I never considered switching. I think the main problem is that people don't really try to find out exactly what is going on," said Powell.

He continued: "You can't go anywhere else in the world and find a coach who begs you to train. Coach (Francis) is the one that does that, that's why he has so many successes. He begs you to train and he will find you wherever you are that's why people will say that he is aggressive. He loves his job and he wants you to do well... nowhere else in the world you will find that.

"I am not bias. I only know the reason why Michael Frater left, I don't know the reason for Melaine, so I can't comment on that," said Powell, while representing LIME at a Penn Relays sponsorship function last Friday.

"But for Michael, he had no choice but to leave, they had a fall out. But he is still working very hard, he is still my teammate, we still competing for the same country, we still talk every day and hang out everyday," noted Powell, who along with Frater, were part of the quartet that broke the 4x100m relay world record in 2008 at the Beijing Olympics.

Powell, with a best of 9.72 seconds, and the man with the most sub-10-second clocking of approximately 80 times, said without Frater, the camp is not the same.

"The atmosphere in the camp is not the same because he was pretty much my training partner. We train together, that's when I feel most comfortable when he is there training with me. But I have to do without (him)... I have been training with him for like 10 years now, so that transition is a bit different, but we have to do what we have to do," Powell explained.

Powell's new training partner is Nesta Carter, but according to the speedster, Frater is irreplaceable.

"I have to lean on Nesta right now," he said with a smile. "Everyone in the club is still very close, but the type of friendship that me and Michael Frater had, you can't really find that any more in the club. Nesta is there and doing very well, so hopefully he can push me," said Powell.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum