PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Did Swain really brake

Did Swain really brake

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Did Swain really brake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 pm

wannabe

I have watched the video several times now and although he did get out quicker than anyone else, he didn't beat the gun. You can see the smoke go up before he takes off.

You decide starts at 6:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXuQeUHWDA.

I think its time that Stawell brings in video replay for these issues.

2 Re: Did Swain really brake on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 pm

wannabe

6:45 you can get a better angle with the smoke going up before Mitch moves

3 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
wannabe wrote:Did Swain really break?

No.

Anything else?

4 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
My concern is that after the heats on Sat and semis Monday the Officials may have been alerted to Swains starts and were only looking at one runner when the gun went off.
Who would have alerted the officials ,is anyones guess but take your pick.

Why didnt Swain lodge a protest straight away.Before the restart.

Bigger concern is why was a Jump Media cameraman able to be so unsteady in the corner of the eyes of all runners just before the gun goes off.
Watch the video and you will see what I mean. Not on and should have been asked to move back.

5 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 am

Rookie

I reckon if we rewind the tape 12 months the exact same thread was talking about Tui.
Hard to tell watching live but he did look overly quick out to me. Maybe he just had a guess and officials thought he went early??

6 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

ProTrackRunner

I was about 20m away from Swainy Warming up and it looked like a break. Looking at that video though i have to change my mind... looks like he got a lightening fast start!

7 he did on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm

marcusjarnold

if it was the olympics he would walk ask drummond and lingford christy

8 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
marcusjarnold wrote:if it was the olympics he would walk ask drummond and lingford christy

If it was the Olympic Games, there would've been pressure sensors on each block, and a track referee to whom the athlete could immediately protest. Not to mention that the athletes would've been held in 'set' until they were all clearly stationary. Certainly, the gun would not go off on athletes still rising in the 'set' position.

9 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm

sinister

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
I watched it live and again on replay and I don't feel that MW-S broke. If you look at the majority of semi finals the backmarker who is usually closer to the starter appears to move first. This is definitely evident when Ross starts on or behind scratch.

I agree that Robbo should have lodged a protest straight away as word was quickly spreading around the track that it was not a break. We cannot pay out on the starter or officials as there are processes for us as athletes and trainers to follow and use.

Andrew Robinson laid down an outstanding performance on the day and has been on the improve ever since he took out the Latrobe Gift and has now added the Stawell Gift to his impressive resume. He is a class act and sometimes in the game of pro running we rely on luck and he definitely had some luck on that day. Considering Stubbs came up onto the shoulder and he ran away from him over the final 20m shows the quality of athlete that Robbo is and should be commended on a sensational run.

At the end of the day if MW-S holds his peak well and goes to Nationals and runs his 10.2 that he is capable of he is booking himself a plane ticket to Moscow and will be the building block of a powerful relay team heading to Rio.

Williams-Swain - Leathart - McCabe - Ross (add in Hough and Geddes and we may have the first sub 38 second team if they aim to develop until Rio)

10 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:34 pm

wannabe

Sinister what are the processes that trainers and athletes can take if a brake is called against them? I've always thought that if you get a brake called against you, you just had to cop it on the chin.

11 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 pm

wannabe

Only thing i can see in the val guidelines regarding the issue is this.

The Chief Steward is not empowered to overturn the decision of the Starter in relation to a false start and any related penalty, but may relieve the Starter of their duties if, in the opinion of the Chief Steward, the performance of the Starter is unsatisfactory.

This wouldn't of Helped MWS much.

And how about the restart that was a joke, Swain was only half way into the set position before the gun was fired.

12 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

wannabe wrote:
And how about the restart that was a joke, Swain was only half way into the set position before the gun was fired.

Can't be serious right? Not the starters problem. Starts it the same way year after year meet after meet.

13 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 pm

wannabe

Just because someone has always done something the same way, does not mean that it is the correct way. The starter should wait until everyone is in the set position. If someone is taking to long then they should be told to stand up.

14 Re: Did Swain really brake on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 pm

fos91

I believe that watching the replay it is clear that their was no break in the final of the gift, Mitchell Swain was very stiff and to cop it on the chin the way he did won my respect for the bloke. No carry on accept the judges incorrect decision and move on.

15 Re: Did Swain really brake on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
oracle wrote:Can't be serious right? Not the starters problem. Starts it the same way year after year meet after meet.

Actually, oracle, it is specifically the starter's problem and only the starter's problem. Their entire responsibility is to wait until all athletes are steady in the set position before firing the gun.

If an athlete is still moving, the starter can call the field to stand up and warn the athlete responsible that they are taking too long to reach 'Set' and that they will be charged with a break if they repeat their behaviour, although in pro races, frequently they seem to often ignore this.

Repeat - there is no one - no one - other than the starter to blame for this.

16 Re: Did Swain really brake on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 pm

pwilliams

I have been watching my sons starts since he was running on the sand and completing in flags, he always has been questioned on he starts with officials and Athletes, because of his reaction time.

His training with beach flags helps your reaction because you need to be explosive right from the start.

He has neither broke in any races his reaction time is quite amazing.

His starts are his strength

Unfortunatey he got penalised for the perfect start during Stawell

I feel Athletics need to assist Mitchell and be aware of his starts,and talk about the great starts he can do other wise the poor kid will be pulled up every time.(he has a natural talent)

Check out the starts he had with reaction times when it is recorded ooff the blocks and he is alway the quickest away. in the Taiwan Open last season he was injured and still had the fastest reaction time against Michael Frater.

Anyway just a bit of insight with Mitchell,
He just missed out with being a Stawell gift winner twice, which he would of been very proud of and a big achievement.

He was lucky to win in 2011 so fate has a funny way of doing things.

17 Re: Did Swain really brake on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
And the apology from the Stawell Athletic Club to Williams-Swain will be arriving any second now.

Wait for it.

Wait for it....

Nope.

My mistake.

18 Re: Did Swain really brake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:12 pm

rob_vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WJwhgoHuQ&list=UUqzgRNgnkYLwNsKuAd3pqog&index=1

seems to react even faster here and it isn't pulled up

19 Re: Did Swain really brake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Definitely no break, looks to me like a starter was always going to fire the gun for a break, itchy trigger? An official told me that it was suggested that a prominent starter in SA should take his whites just in-case. I think from memory it was suggested the confidence in this starter was a little "shakey".

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum