PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton Open Gift
Yesterday at 2:38 pm by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

» Bay Sheffield Novice and Restricted race eligibility
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stawell Cheats or Game Players? You be the judge.

Stawell Cheats or Game Players? You be the judge.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
There is obviously a very fine line between making the most of your handicap and cheating the system by not trying. Dizzy would not for a second accuse anyone of cheating, however, inconsistencies in performance have rarely been penalised this year leading to some dubious final times in Stawell events.

Below is a list of the Top 5 biggest improvers. You might choose more colourful language to describe what these athletes have done. Alternatively, they could be praised for getting the most out of the handicapper and the handicap guidelines.
Dizzy has only reviewed distance events (550m-3200m) as my knowledge of shorter events is almost non-existent. The list is not in order.

Glenn Weston
Ran 4 Wom/Vets miles this year prior to Stawell: 4.47, 4.44, 4.50 and 4.43 just 6 weeks ago. He then improved to win the Stawell Wom/Vets 1600m in 4.14.

Adrian Phelan
Ran 4.18 at Burramine in the 1600m and 4.18 at Euroa just 2 weeks earlier. Improved to run a comfortable 4.01 to win the Stawell Backies Mile.

Gaetano Aiello
Ran 4.23 off 350m at Pultney one week before Stawell. Improved at Stawell to win the Fronties mile in 4.00 off 345m.

Connor Nunn
Can’t get out of his 550m heat run at Euroa finishing 10th out of 14 in 1.13.2. Improves to make the Stawell 550m final running 1.09 twice in day and finishing 7th in the final.

Clint Anderson
Fails to get out of his heat at Noble Park in 1.14.4, and then fails again to get out of his heat at Euroa finishing 13th out of 15 in 1.13.3.
Improves in the 2 weeks between Euroa and Stawell to run 1.09, though thankfully not enough to make the final.

This is Dizzy's final post for the season.
Best wishes and see you in the gym for some box-jumping.

Double Jeopardy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Wow, Dizzy, you've decided to go out swinging. Perhaps a bit harsh.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
DizzyRunner wrote:There is obviously a very fine line between making the most of your handicap and cheating the system by not trying. Dizzy would not for a second accuse anyone of cheating, however, inconsistencies in performance have rarely been penalised this year leading to some dubious final times in Stawell events.

Below is a list of the Top 5 biggest improvers. You might choose more colourful language to describe what these athletes have done. Alternatively, they could be praised for getting the most out of the handicapper and the handicap guidelines.
Dizzy has only reviewed distance events (550m-3200m) as my knowledge of shorter events is almost non-existent. The list is not in order.

Glenn Weston
Ran 4 Wom/Vets miles this year prior to Stawell: 4.47, 4.44, 4.50 and 4.43 just 6 weeks ago. He then improved to win the Stawell Wom/Vets 1600m in 4.14.

Adrian Phelan
Ran 4.18 at Burramine in the 1600m and 4.18 at Euroa just 2 weeks earlier. Improved to run a comfortable 4.01 to win the Stawell Backies Mile.

Gaetano Aiello
Ran 4.23 off 350m at Pultney one week before Stawell. Improved at Stawell to win the Fronties mile in 4.00 off 345m.

Connor Nunn
Can’t get out of his 550m heat run at Euroa finishing 10th out of 14 in 1.13.2. Improves to make the Stawell 550m final running 1.09 twice in day and finishing 7th in the final.

Clint Anderson
Fails to get out of his heat at Noble Park in 1.14.4, and then fails again to get out of his heat at Euroa finishing 13th out of 15 in 1.13.3.
Improves in the 2 weeks between Euroa and Stawell to run 1.09, though thankfully not enough to make the final.

This is Dizzy's final post for the season.
Best wishes and see you in the gym for some box-jumping.

The error you make Dizzy is that you only reviewed 550m up. Nunn for example had winning 400m form at Ballarat.

ProTrackRunner

Fast track, big occasion and weeks between some of the events could factor in these times.

Look at The Bendigo opal times. Faster track and times than any other 400 race of the season by far with handicaps pulled back 3m.

Too many variables to account for.

I ran in a few 400's this year and was 1.3seconds slower in my stawell backmarkers run than in the opal semi due to the track being lightening fast. I also was off a larger mark in stawell and in better condition. Both races i went for gold and came up short.

Just my thoughts on this.

jknott123

the question i have is how does someone get a 5 meter lift from october till april my guy made the final of every race he ran in except the black opal which is the only race on the pro circuit where you can win your heat and not make the final

ProTrackRunner

Who are you referring to with the 5m lift?

I recieved a similar lift through the season however i raced the required ammount of events to get there.

Possibly a question for the handicappers as athletes have no say in what they recieve.

jknott123

not blaming the athlete what so ever, its the system that needs to be looked at, would just like some consistency, at the moment all you have to do is turn up and run each week and you will get a lift after a couple of runs.

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
jknott123 wrote:not blaming the athlete what so ever, its the system that needs to be looked at, would just like some consistency, at the moment all you have to do is turn up and run each week and you will get a lift after a couple of runs.

As opposed to what, John?

Only give lifts to those who make a final?

That only makes the lists of finalists more exclusive.

Only give lifts to those who don't make the final?

Then your bloke would struggle to progress and people would do anything to avoid making a final.

Only give lifts to those achieving a satisfactory performance for which the stewards are content the athlete was performing appropriately for their demonstrated capabilities and handicap?

That's what we have.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum