PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Congrats to Ray & Robbo - well deserved

Congrats to Ray & Robbo - well deserved

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Congrats to Ray & Robbo - well deserved on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Congratulations to Andrew Robinson, his coach Ray Quarrell and the Hobart Athletic Club on winning the 2013 Stawell Gift.

Brilliant win by Robinson, demonstrating outstanding poise, temperament, speed, strength & and the all-important capacity to handle the pressure when it mattered.

In terms of professional running, young Robbo, at only 20 years of age, is the real deal having already racked up an impressive résumé that includes multiple TAL sprinter of the year awards, a Latrobe Gift, Keilor Gift, this season's Devonport Gift....and now the Stawell Gift.

This was his fourth trip to Stawell, as well as visiting other VAL meets, so he's done the hard yards, serving an apprenticeship, and making the most of the big race experience derived from making Ballarat & Kelior Gift finals.

From Saturday's heats I thought he and Mitch Williams-Swain were the stand outs. His last 30m in the heat where he rapidly put space on the rest of the field was the most impressive run from the first half of heats.

Williams-Swain was a tad more impressive in the second half of heats and was clearly the man to beat.

Either one was always going to be a worthy winner.

Whether it was destiny or not, there cannot be any dispute that there was no more deserving winner of the Ferg Speakman trophy than Ray Quarrell. If there was ever a text book on pro-running coaching, a chapter should be devoted to Ray's management & preparation of Andrew Robinson for the Stawell Gift. It was pure master class.

Ray basically represents Tassie pro running, he gives it respect & credibility.

I would hate to think what the standard of Tasmanian sprinting would be like if not for Ray's contribution. For the last 20 odd years, Ray has consistently produced quality sprinters, none better than Simon Bresnehan and now Robbo.

After the tragedy of losing everything in the Tassie Bushfires in January, including his mementoes from previous successes (including 4 Burnie Gift wins), he now has a host of new mementoes & trophies to kick start his collection.

Great for Tassie, great for Stawell & great for the sport.

Well done.

Paul Young
On behalf of Protrack.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Stawell 2013 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm

WayneJohncock

Well written Youngy.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum