PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Josh Ross - "The greatest 120m racer we've seen" - is ready for Asafa Powell

Josh Ross - "The greatest 120m racer we've seen" - is ready for Asafa Powell

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sport/alana-boyd-running-out-of-chances-to-secure-spot-for-pole-vaulting-world-championships/story-e6frfglf-1226604182219

Josh Ross ready for clash with sprint star Asafa Powell

By Damien Stannard
The Courier-Mail
March 23rd 2013

Josh Ross ran an impressive 10.29sec at the Brisbane leg of the national athletics tour. File picture Source: Getty Images

JOSH Ross has thrown down a challenge to Australia-bound Asafa Powell with a slick 100m performance at the Queensland Track Classic in Brisbane.

The pair will clash head-on at next weekend's Stawell Gift and the seven-time national sprint champion Ross warmed up with an impressive 10.29sec at the Brisbane leg of the national athletics tour.

"With Powell on my tail I have to get out and hit that hard," Ross said.

"I'm the greatest 120m racer the country's seen so it will be exciting."

Brisbane has been a happy hunting ground for "the Boss", posting his personal best of 10.08 at the national titles when it was staged at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre six years ago.

A slight tailwind gave him new hope of a career best time, or at least an A-qualifying mark but his performance lacked the sizzle he expected from himself.

"I'm a bit disappointed," he said.

"It's always perfect conditions, the best in Australia.

"But I've got to be hard on myself. I thought I'd run 10.1 here tonight."

Alana Boyd has just two more chances to post an A-qualifying standard on Australian soil after falling short at her home track.

The Commonwealth pole vault champion needs to clear 4.60m to guarantee her a spot on the Australian team for the world championships in August but failed with all three attempts at 4.50.

Conditions were good for a confidence boosting performance ahead of the Melbourne World Challenge on April 6 and the national titles the following week in Sydney.

But with her closest competitor, former NFL cheerleader Kat Majester, bowing out at 4.20, the Queenslander had little to fuel her competitive instincts. Boyd easily cleared her first two attempts (4.30 and 4.40) but was bitterly disappointed with her three attempts at 4.50, a height she has cleared twice this season.

Triple jumper Linda Leverton had a mixed night on the runway as she chased Nicole Mladenis's 14.04m national record.

The Queenslander recorded a wind-assisted 14.07m last month in Hobart, and looked in fine rhythm last night before settling for 13.80.

The performance of the night belonged to Victorian Luke Cann whose 76.58m was an under-20 national record in the javelin.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum