PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » It is not the critics who count......

It is not the critics who count......

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 It is not the critics who count...... on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.'

Theodore Roosevelt - 1910.

A nice & timely reminder of who and what really matters..

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm

GUEST 1

With all the trash talk on the Albany site, I wonder how many of those rocket scientists doing all the sledging have ever "dared greatly". Reading the diarrhea flowing at the moment I suspect very few, if any at all. scratch

3 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
On the weekend I had the following email sent to me:

"Paul, I don’t think this was in the karate kid movie but worth a go .

A few plants were taken away , but what that actually did was leave room for other plants to grow.
There you go sensei."

So very true and the next few years will vindicate that.

I saw the Albany site on the weekend for the first time for quite a while, I was staggered to see an athlete leaving a coach could generate 8 pages of mindless 'reactive' drivel - very sad to see what jealousy and fear does to some people.

I would be lieing if I said I didn't care, but that 'care' has little to do with me personally.

As Eleanor Roosevelt once said - "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

My concern or care is directed at the emotional instablilty of those poor souls whose feelings, emotions and general well-being appear to ebb & flow with the results and other happenings of YGTS. I wonder how they will ever grow, be successful or content if they continue to criticise me simply because the success of my squad magnifies their own mediocrity.

Not sure how many have read Dr Steven Covey's book - "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"

A best seller even today, and well worth a read.

Habit One deals with making choices and being proactive.

Here's a summation of the first Habit:

Habit 1 : Be Proactive

Your life doesn't just "happen." Whether you know it or not, it is carefully designed by you. The choices, after all, are yours. You choose happiness. You choose sadness. You choose decisiveness. You choose ambivalence. You choose success. You choose failure. You choose courage. You choose fear. Just remember that every moment, every situation, provides a new choice. And in doing so, it gives you a perfect opportunity to do things differently to produce more positive results.

Habit 1: Be Proactive is about taking responsibility for your life. You can't keep blaming everything on your parents or grandparents. Proactive people recognize that they are "response-able." They don't blame genetics, circumstances, conditions, or conditioning for their behavior. They know they choose their behavior. Reactive people, on the other hand, are often affected by their physical environment. They find external sources to blame for their behavior. If the weather is good, they feel good. If it isn't, it affects their attitude and performance, and they blame the weather. All of these external forces act as stimuli that we respond to. Between the stimulus and the response is your greatest power--you have the freedom to choose your response. One of the most important things you choose is what you say. Your language is a good indicator of how you see yourself. A proactive person uses proactive language--I can, I will, I prefer, etc. A reactive person uses reactive language--I can't, I have to, if only. Reactive people believe they are not responsible for what they say and do--they have no choice.

Instead of reacting to or worrying about conditions over which they have little or no control, proactive people focus their time and energy on things they can control. The problems, challenges, and opportunities we face fall into two areas--Circle of Concern and Circle of Influence.

Proactive people focus their efforts on their Circle of Influence. They work on the things they can do something about: health, children, problems at work. Reactive people focus their efforts in the Circle of Concern--things over which they have little or no control: the national debt, terrorism, the weather. Gaining an awareness of the areas in which we expend our energies in is a giant step in becoming proactive.

Fair to say that the majority of the anonymous knuckleheads on Albany are summed up in Covey's description of a Reactive person.

And just for the record - I have been banned and de-registered from the Albany forum, therefore I can only read it from another source and that's if I choose to, which for obvious reasons I now rarely do. I certainly have no intention of ever leaving a comment on the Albany forum, whilst I remain banned and deregistered.

I'm happy with the progress of ProTrack. It will continue to grow with its integrity intact.

4 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 pm

GUEST 1

"Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt." tongue

5 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 pm

GUEST 1

"A critic is someone who thinks he knows the way but can't drive a car." Suspect

6 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Trackstar

How about no more talk of what the brain dead are spewing up.

Looking forward to more positive, constructive comments about the sport that I have enjoyed so far on protrack.

Peace out!

7 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Einstein

Just found this site. Looks good.
Finally there's a pro running forum that's not full of filth. About time.
We need choice and competition.
It's like Albany caters for ferals and this one will suit the intelligent folk.
More options like the emoticons.
Well done guys.

What a Face

8 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:31 am

Saw the mention on albany, but theres no address there. so I googled pro track forum and found this site.
cool site.

9 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 am

hey youngy how come you got banned on albany?

10 Re: It is not the critics who count...... on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
guest wrote:hey youngy how come you got banned on albany?

I'm not sure, as I haven't bothered to find out. My view is it's Jim Bradley's site and he runs it how he likes. If he chooses to de-register and ban people that's his choice.

All I know is that it (the ban) might stem from something I was falsely accused of. Jim has never really told me directly what I'm suppose to have done. From second hand info, I believe it was something to do with one of his runners and me at Rye which is a load of rubbish. But as I said, I'm not really bothered about it.

One thing's for sure, given what I've been told it's degenerated to, (Albany) I won't be back any time soon. (Not that I have much control over that).

I was encouraged by a Vic ex-runner & trainer to jump on board with ProTrack. This bloke (who prefers to remain anonymous) was keen to set up a respectable forum where integrity was paramount, where people could contribute meaningful opinions without being subjected to insidious & senseless bagging by anonymous imbeciles. He was disgusted by the Albany forum and felt it was a sad indictment on the sport as it created unease in the sport between athletes and squads. (He did point out my de-registration was symptomatic of the problems on Albany when people can be banned at the whim of one person, without any real cause for it.)

The ProTrack team of the century was his idea and he asked me to run with it.

I think the whole concept of Pro Track is fantastic for the sport; as he said, it sort of becomes the electronic version of the mag the athletes use to get in the 70's and 80's.

Glad to see people are posting and enjoying Pro Track. Still a long way to go to gain acceptance by everyone but we're on the right track. (pun intended).

PS: This is the last time I discuss Albany here; time to move on and discuss positive & constructive aspects of the sport.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum