PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » hmmmmm?

hmmmmm?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 hmmmmm? on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 pm

rapper

i would personally question whether parkinson is even the right candidate for the athlete of the year award. dont get me wrong, i respect his accomplishments this season and have spoken to him a handful of times and he seems like a genuinely nice and humble person but there are things to take into account. firstly, he has been running for how many seasons? 5 or 6 or something? so he runs average for numerous seasons barely making a name for himself and then comes out this season after building up his handicap and wins countless races. seems a bit sus to me. barely gives anyone else a chance this season. all he had to do was show up to comps and run, his handicap did the rest of the work. and as for his handicaps themselves, was he even pulled fairly for each of his wins? if not, its hardly a suprise he kept winning. not saying he doesnt deserve the award, just interested in other peoples opinions

2 Re: hmmmmm? on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:52 pm

wannabe

Just out of curiosity who do you think should win it if not parko. I personally think no one else comes close i have a lot of respect for what his done this season.

3 Re: hmmmmm? on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:06 am

rapper

i do agree that no one really comes close, this isnt about who else is appropriate, its about whether he's the fair choice. as i said, i just want to make sure that all things are taken into account. ie, was he pulled correctly for each win? because if not, as i said, all he had to do was come out and run and the wins were in the bag. as this is a vote based award, i want to make sure he won his races fairly, otherwise he won't get my vote

4 Re: hmmmmm? on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 am

jknott123

this is pro running join,train,run and when you have a mark you can win from then win.parkinson according to val search results has had 22 starts this season until ringwood for 2 wins his winnings wouldnt cover his expenses he is a true pro runner name some body that you think should win the award Rapper

5 Re: hmmmmm? on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 am

rob_vid

Poor Rhys,

1 minute JH tells him to just F'n Run, Next minute people tell him off for just F'n running Smile
anyways personally I think this post is uncalled for but whilst everyone is entitled to their point if this thread gets to personal I will request or perform its removal.

Robbie

6 Re: hmmmmm? on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 am

rapper what r u on about

rhys had about 130 starts prior to winnning streak

i would suggest he has paid dues, penaltys

for winning can be checked on val site u can quote which wins were not correctly asessed i thought that his penalty for winning 400 wasa bit harsh
winning over differing distance's is very hard to do, how about u try

7 Re: hmmmmm? on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
"A man's GOT to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry in Magnum Force, circa 1973.

An oft repeated quote in sport, and one that especially applies to pro running. Understand your limitations and you are half way to enjoying a successful pro-running career.

rob_vid wrote:Poor Rhys,

1 minute JH tells him to just F'n Run, Next minute people tell him off for just F'n running Smile
anyways personally I think this post is uncalled for but whilst everyone is entitled to their point if this thread gets to personal I will request or perform its removal.

Fair call Rob,
I wouldn't have cared if you had exercised your right as a moderator to deleted the post.

However I'm glad you didn't because this says more about 'rapper' than Rhys Parkinson.

An athlete who endures years of battling around the circuit, making up the numbers, achieving little back for his output & then has a break-out season accumulating several wins - is not unusual in this sport.

We've seen it in SA this season, with Yasmin Openshaw. Yas earned her stripes putting in the hard yards and after many years in the sport is having a season she, her coach & the squad can look back on with pride.

Ben Crawford is in a similar boat although any athlete who has accumulated over 20 sashes has probably enjoyed more years of success than an Openshaw or Parkinson.

The SAAL athlete of the year is normally won by someone with that sort of profile. Nothing wrong with that, it's the nature of the sport.

It has happened ever since pro-running emerged from the goldfields and was legitimised as an organised form of athletics.

Making the most of opportunities by strategically selecting races is the hallmark of any coach & a well-managed athlete.

John Henry is arguably the best in the business in maximising the earnings for an athlete. Parkinson has earned his wins. He has received appropriate penalties along the way yet continues to overcome the penalties to win again.

JH knows exactly the capabilities of his athletes and accordingly his athletes tend to win because........they work within their limitations.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

8 Re: hmmmmm? on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am

Piez

I think the season Pumpa has had demonstrates the benefit that confidence has on your running.

When you have a win, the confidence boost it gives you more often than not exceeds the penalty you receive.

No form like winning form.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum