PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Josh Dawkins to run in honour of his legendary father

Josh Dawkins to run in honour of his legendary father

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/local-sport/josh-to-run-in-honour-of-his-legendary-father/story-fnf6m40f-1226591296686

Josh to run in honour of his legendary father

By Duane Schultz
Southern Times Messenger
March 06, 2013

Josh Dawkins will run the memorial race named after his dad for the first time. Josh, 21, will take part in the 550m race at the Flagstaff Gift this month. His dad, John, was a major identity in athletics. before he died in 2006. Josh with a photo of his Dad John Dawkins. Picture: Roger Wyman Source: adelaidenow

MEMORIES of his dad are inspiring Josh Dawkins to race for glory at this week's Flagstaff Hill Athletics Carnival.

Dawkins will run the 550m event named after John Dawkins, a legend at the club this Saturday.

John was a revered figure in southern athletics and an integral part of the Flagstaff stable before his death from cancer in 2006.

He was 44.

"Running in my father's race is something I've had my eye on for quite a long time," Dawkins, of Brighton, says. "I actually presented the perpetual trophy to last year's winner and I thought I could really make a go of this myself and I decided to put the spikes back on.

"It's the Holy Grail for me, that sash with your dad's name on it, imagine that hanging in your room. Hopefully I can get that kick in the final straight, maybe the old man can help out there."

Dawkins, 21, was hit hard by his dad's death and quit the sport.

He decided to make a comeback last October and says intense training under coach John Le Ray and stablemate Ben Crawford has him primed.

"It was very hard when he died but I had a lot of support," he says.

"You learn to deal with it but (dad's death) came at that age when you look up to your dad and want advice about life.

"But his memory has definitely driven me back (to running) ... if I can be half as fast as he was on the track I'll be very happy."

John was a former South Adelaide League footballer. He won he prestigious Maryborough Gift (Victoria) and was runner-up to AFL footballer Darren Kappler in the 1985 Bay Sheffield.

The Flagstaff Hill Gift is on March 9 with the program kicking off at Flagstaff Hill Oval from 4pm.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum