PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stonnington wrap

Stonnington wrap

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Stonnington wrap on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm

BMara

Stonnington Gift 22/2/2013
The Stonnington carnival provided an absolutely perfect track and with good racing and ideal weather, under lights the night was once again a great success. The night commenced with races for the local little athletic clubs and finished with two high class gift finals. Great work by the Stonnington committee to have the involvement of the Melbourne Grammar students.
VRTA under 20’s
The third round of the VRTA under 20’s series commenced the evening’s racing and after six heats the fastest heat time went to Ellie Maguire (21.50m & 10.74), but it was the runner up in that heat that gained revenge and won the final in 10.71. Jimmie Gladman (11.25m) was only inches behind Ellie in the heat but was able, to not only defeat Maguire, but win the final by nearly a metre. Natasha McDowell (23m) finished second marginally ahead of Cameron Moss (5.75m).
Melbourne Sports Books 400 metres Novice.
Steve Fabris (25m) made up for the narrowest defeat at Keilor last week with a clear win in the novice 400 metres at Stonnington. Steve has been close up in the 400’s all season and adds Friday nights win to his novice 70 metres victory at Waverley before Christmas. Ian Douglas (15m), fresh from his Keilor win ran on well to finish second and Jack Dooley (29m), always consistent in these events finished third. The winner’s time was 47.82, the fastest of the night.
Goodlife Health Clubs 550m open
Dominic Hoskins (22m) ran a great race to take first prize in the 550 metres final on Friday night with a last to first win in 1.12.07. Dominic defeated James Deane (38m) and Matt Grant (28m) with Queensland visitor Cameron Clayton(29m) finishing just out of the placings. The heats were unable to shed any light on the winner as they were all run in relatively similar times. With four of the five heats being won by the Hipworth stable those numbers were not enough to withstand the odd man out. The other heat winner, Hoskins sat back quietly and sprinted down the outside to win narrowly but well. James Collier put the sword to his opposition and had a clear lead before the home turn but tired in the final straight. Dominic had a late start to the season, not racing before Christmas, but has found form quickly, with the win his first since Rye last year.
City of Stonnington Women’s 100m Gift
With $15000 on offer, the sprinters were all set for action and after thirteen heats the quickest times were evenly poised with Ben Weaver (5.5m & 10.53) holding a slender advantage over Matthew Harvey (9m) and Simon Jackson (8.25m) both clocking 10.56. But not far behind those sprinters Western Australian Cole Unasa (5.75m & 10.59) and local hope Stuart Rooke (7m & 10.61) were still definite chances. At the semi final stage Matthew Harvey maintained his standard with an extremely close win from Bryce Teo in 10.57. In semi final two , Cole Unasa was very impressive with a 10.50 defeating Simon Jackson’s 10.62. In the third and final semi final Ben Weaver scorched down the track to record 10.45, defeating Stuart Rooke (10.51) and Craig Mair (10.61). Both the placegetters quailed for the final as fastest non winners. In the final Cole Unasa didn’t begin all that well but once the big striding visitor got into his stride he charged to the front and held fellow West Australian Teo comfortably in 10.43. Teo’s time was 10.55. Weaver finished third (10.58), ahead of Harvey (10.60), Rooke (10.65)and Craig Mair (10.66)
The Bendigo Bank Stonnington Women’s 100m
Tara Domaschenz (5m) returned to Stonnington, the scene of her biggest win, to do it all again with a clear cut win in the $15000 women’s final in the time of 11.58. Tara won the 2012 edition off the handicap of 6.75m in the time of 11.61, so her improvement over the last twelve months was impressive. After the six heats Tara had recorded the quickest heat with a run of 11.75 which was a handy buffer over Melissa Breen (-2.50m) who ran 11.80. As the girls entered the next round, the second semi final winner Melissa Howard (6m) matched Domaschenz’s time but Tara improved in the third semi to 11.65. In the final, it was clear cut with Tara defeating Howard and Pamela Austin (9.25m). Domaschenz is coached by Peter O’Dwyer in Ballarat.
Simon Fitzpatrick’s run of the meet went to Tara for her dominant display in a feature event. Although “Fitzys” award is for one run or event her last six runs at Stonnington have resulted in six clear wins in heats, semi’s and finals of the richest women’s sprint event in Victoria.
Prahran Market 300 Veterans’
The Veterans 300 metres final was an exciting finishing with Leigh Phelan (7m) charging down the outside to win from Shane Quinn (21m) and Noel Maghamez(51m) in 35.87.Maghamez recorded the fastest heat with a 36.82 but Phelan’s heat win looked impressive as he wasn’t pressured at any stage to record 37.53. In the final Maghamez quickly headed off early leader Steve Baird (54m) and came to the home turn with a good lead but was unable to withstand the finishes of Phelan and Quinn.
Broo Women’s 400 mts
Stonnington conducted the fourth and final round of the Broo 400 metres women’s series and it was a win to Olivia Goder (26m) who proved too strong for Megan McMahon (48m) and Tayyrn Fisher (48m) in 55.15. The three heats were very even with Kasey Moore (56.41 & 33m), McMahon (48m & 56.2) and Goder (26m & 56.25) making sure the final was going to be close. It didn’t really turn out that way with Fisher and McMahon turning for home together but Goder was placed just behind them ready to pounce. In the home straight she put the matter beyond doubt with a strong run to the line. The Broo final will be held once again at Burramine, this season on the 16th of March. The winner is coached by Nick Lewton.
Mercedes-Benz Toorak 1600mts
Another back to back win occurred in the 1600metres, and this time it was very similar to last year’s, where Andrew Patton (70m) once again proved too strong for Michael Marantelli (75m). Last season Patton won the event off a handicap of 100 metres, with Marantelli off 90 metres finishing third.Patton , with a slow start to his VAL season, has gradually shown improvement over the last few weeks and he was able to win the race in 4.10.4. The front markers appeared to set a solid tempo early with Stefan Catalano (320m) clearing out with a lead from Tayla Sproule (320m) and Rebecca Cato (320m).Mark Hipworth was able to use his handicap and keep in touch with the lead bunch but Patton and Marantelli looked to have the field covered with 500 metres to travel. With 200 metres from home Muir, Hipworth, Marantelli and Patton were racing in a pack and headed for home with four across the track. Patton overpowered Marantelli over the last thirty metres and Mark Hipworth (220m) ran a spirited race to finish third, just ahead of Gordon Muir (175m) and David Spence (115). Hipworth coached the first five placegetters, surely a first in a major event. The back marker, olympic gold medallist, Reubin Koskei (scr) made up a great deal of ground over the last two laps and eventually finished ninth about twenty five metres from the winner. He should be well suited to the $5000 Bendigo mile in two weeks time.
For those interested in another view of distance running in the VAL please visit; http://www.hippoathleticclub.com.au/

100 mts Invitational
The third of the back to back wins came in the invitational 100 metres with Sam Jamieson(3.25m) holding out Bola Lawal (1m) and Adrian Mott (3.25m) in 10.68. Sam missed a run in the semi finals of the main event although he did finish second to Cole Unasa in his heat, clocking 10.77 himself. Sam is coached by Nick Fiedler.
St Bernard’s this Sunday
The Victorian Athletic League would like to thank St Bernard’s College and the St Bernard’s Old Collegians for the use of the school grounds and facilities. John Raffle, from St Bernard’s was instrumental in resurrecting the event through his assistance and co-operation. Also Lochie Robertson and the St Bernard’s ground staff for the ground marking and preparation. The carnival would not have been able to take place without the following people and organisations; The Harper Group, Shane McKenzie, East Keilor RSL, Benny Tancredi, Cartha McKerrow, Andrew Flanagan, Norm Lancaster, Rick Trusler, Shane and Katrina Buckingham, Arron and Marita Downes , Daisy Drew, Chris and Melanie Brown, Victorian Runners and Trainers association and the Victorian Cross Country League. Many thanks to all those that are helping, on track, on the day to make sure that the carnival runs smoothly.
Please note, Entry to St Bernard’s is $5 per car, no exceptions.

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Ballarat sprinter Domaschenz claims women's classic again By TIM OÇONNOR Feb. 24, 2013, 11:59 p.m.Tara Domaschenz

BALLARAT sprinter Tara Domaschenz is riding the crest of a wave.

See your ad hereThe 21-year-old is still basking in the glory of a second-straight win in Australia’s richest female footrace – the $15,000 Stonnington Women’s Classic, 100m – which she claimed under lights at Toorak Park on Friday night.

Domaschenz, the newly crowned Australian Athletic Confederation female sprinter of the year, stormed to victory in the final from her handicap mark of 5m.

The performance follows her win off 6.75m last year.

Domaschenz said going back to back was something she never thought was possible after her triumph in 2012, but she began to believe it was after recording the fastest heat time.

“It has sunk in a bit more (winning a second time).

“I took it all in. I made the moment last,” the fourth-year University of Ballarat student told The Courier.

“Half-way through the final I’d thought ‘I’ve lost this’. I was kind of shocked and I think it was determination that pulled me through.”

Domaschenz, who recorded 11.53sec in the final, said she was in the form of her life.

Friday night’s win follows placings in the Ballarat and Keilor women’s gifts, as well as dual third placings in the 100m and 200m at the Victorian Country Athletics Championships in late January.

Domaschenz said focusing solely on sprint training and doing away with 400m practice had been beneficial.

“I thought last season was awesome but maybe this season might be just as good,” she said.

See your ad hereDomaschenz will now prepare for this coming weekend’s Victorian Open and AWD Track and Field Championships in Melbourne before a return to the Stawell Gift at Easter.

She then heads to her third national titles, in Sydney, where she will compete in the 100m and 200m.

tim.oconnor@fairfaxmedia.com.au

3 Re: Stonnington wrap on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Did I read that right - Tara won off 6.75m in 2012?

I assumed when she won on Friday off 5.0m that she must have won off about 8.0m last year. I didn't bother checking because to win $10,000, it should carry the biggest penalty of any race in the land. The Bay Sheff winner generally goes back 3m for a $5000 first prize.

So a 20 year old (on the way up), wins $10,000 in the biggest prize available and is only back 1.75m?

Comes back as a 21 year old (and a 2.0m improvement for a female from 20 to 21 is not uncommon) and wins emphatically.

Sorry, but that (the penalty for the 2012 win) was ridiculous.

Good luck to her and her coach Peter O'Dwyer. I have great respect for the way they go about it. Impressive performance.

It's the VAL system that is at fault. The penalty should have been at least 3m.

VAL system needs an overhaul to ensure athletes receive adequate penalties for races won.

4 Re: Stonnington wrap on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

BMara

Youngie, Stop that stage coach before you get to a cliff

last year
Tara Dom (ist) 6.75m back to 5m
Kendra Hubbard (2nd or 3rd) 1m out to 2.25m
Katie Moore (4th) 2.00m out to 3.25m
Not sure who ran the other placing
Ellia Green 1.5m out to 2.75m
Lara Gambino 5.75m out to 8m

you can go thru the whole field, she went back 1.75m and the rest of the field went out 1.25m

Her penalty was obviously 3m, so you are quite correct the penalty should be 3m. However you should have done a little research first.
After winning Stonnington 100m off 6.75 , her next run was 120m at ballarat off 4.50m then Keilor 120m off 3.5m. I don't think the handicapper missed her.

I will let the Sprinter handicapper know of the pending apology

5 Re: Stonnington wrap on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks for the explanation Mara. Appreciate it.

I accept I was hasty and should have checked first.

As for an apology........The number of times my athletes have been slaughtered in the VAL over the years, including a pathetic ambush at Ballarat last year and never received an apology, I'm happy to move on without it.

6 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:01 am

Awesome run by Tara. The second half of her race was extremely strong.
Why wouldn't they just pull her 3m and leave everyone else where they were? Is a bit confusing...

I wonder if they will do the same thing again?

7 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 am

BMara

Depends on who the back marker is in the women's event. This year it was Melissa Breen,so the whole field moves up.

Youngie,
As for an apology........The number of times my athletes have been slaughtered in the VAL over the years, including a pathetic ambush at Ballarat last year and never received an apology, I'm happy to move on without it.

Did you say you were happy to move on.........Are you sure cheers

8 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:50 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Yep, I'll move on, because I accept that you have difficulty reading posts properly and jump to a conclusion - removed from what the post intended. After all I didn't have a go at the handicapper in my original post. The post said:

It's the VAL system that is at fault. The penalty should have been at least 3m.

VAL system needs an overhaul to ensure athletes receive adequate penalties for races won.

I didn't even mention the handicapper........until I responded to your smart arse comment (about an apology) with an equally smart arse reply.

Thanks Mara. The fact you offered a reasonable explanation was appreciated.

That's all she wrote.

9 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am

BMara

Youngie , without being pedantic, surely you are mentioning the handicappers in this sentence. Basketball

10 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Ok, BMara and Youngy to smoke the peace pipe...

What's happening to this place? Too much bickering and whinging!

11 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 am

Trackstar

Youngman's query was OK. asking about the 1.75 pull, he questions the system. He wasn't the only one to think that.
Maras answer was OK until he said youngy owes an apology to the handicapper. Mara could have answered without the last para.
And Young could have responded without bringing up old issues.

Don't think Young or Mara are bickering. Just banter between two old training mates. NBD.

12 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

MOB

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Just for clarification, the penalty for Tara winning at Stonnington last season was 3.50 over the 120, taking her back from 8.00 to 4.50, which was her 120 handicap prior to Stonnington this season. The field went up 1.50 on the 120 marks for Whittaker who was an entry prior to marks being declared. The 100 marks are then calculated as 5/6th of the 120 marks. Breen then must've come in after marks were declared, placing her less behind scratch than normal, given the field lift.

Clear as mud??

Just for the record if you take Tara's RPM at Stonnington it now compares well to some of the best female sprinters in the country. I think she has now elevated herself to that sort of level. Congrats to her and POD accordingly.

13 handicap adjustments on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 am

Discobull

Congrates to Tara, well run, but what i dont get is how does she run off 4.5m in the 120m keilor gift and run third, then get put forward to 5m for the Stonnington 100m gift. Now my understanding is your marks should be shorter for the shorter distances. and she lost by 3 metres to the eventual winner M.Coates. Go figure.
Please correct me if i,m wrong.

14 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:56 am

Some people are just plain stupid it seems...MOB's explanation is perfect. She has simply improved by 4ish metres and is a very good sprinter now. She got the biggest penalty available and still improved and won

15 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Discobull

Good one Guesswho, calling people stupid, I guess u didnt see the keilor run then. looks like the improvement came in a week.
Thats the name of the Game, Good Timing.

16 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

MOB

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Crickey Discobull. I'm figuring you've spent too much time ripping up the dance floor and not enough time in the classroom.

4.5 + 1.5 for the field is 6 * 5/6 = 5.

Do the same calc for the rest of the field and you will find it holds.

17 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
100/120 UP TO $400 0.50 0.50
$401 TO $750 0.75 0.75
$751 TO $1000 1.00 1.00
$1001 TO $2000 1.25 1.25
2001-5000 1.50 1.50
5001-9999 2.00 2.00
STAWELL 2.50 2.50

Penalty Table above - Tara was pulled 3.5m for 2012 Stonington win -a discretionary extra metre.

This year she won in 11.58....Breens PB is better than 11.30sec she starts from behind scratch and given the grass conversion should be running around 11.5 to 11.6 if she is in good form...she also has to serve a penalty for winning Stawell 120m. Others also should have run that time if in shape.

It is quite refreshing to see a runner improve and win again rather than wait for their mark to go out again.

It is also good to see Tara set a goal, focus, peak and show a determination to win....she is an excellent competitor.

18 Re: Stonnington wrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mara! Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum