PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton Open Gift
Yesterday at 2:38 pm by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

» Bay Sheffield Novice and Restricted race eligibility
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Andrew 'Billy' McManus

Andrew 'Billy' McManus

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Andrew 'Billy' McManus on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 am

NBAblues

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
After his win at the 2012 Bay Sheffield Gift in SA, Josh ‘the boss’ Ross can now claim the title of Australia’s Richest Professional runner in history. Before then, that tag belonged to Victorian/West Australian Andrew ‘Billy’ McManus (pictured above).

This is a must read inspirational story for anyone who is thinking of giving up the sport too early.

Q. How did you get into Athletics, how old were you?
A. I am an asthmatic and the doctors recommended some organised sport. I had always loved just running around so little athletics was the obvious choice. I started in the 1979/80 season in the under 9’s.

Q. You won the Stawell Gift in 1992 when you were under coach Sandy Hurst. What was it like training with the late Sandy?
A. Sandy was a great trainer. It was important to train hard but also enjoy yourself in the process, the social side of the sport made it very attractive with most meets finishing with a beer at the local pub. That said training was taken very seriously 6 days a week with periods leading in Stawell where I was doing 10 sessions a week. He came from a different era himself winning the 70m at Stawell in the 1940’s so had a unique view on how to train runners.

Q. Did winning Stawell change your life?

More Interview: http://wcal.com.au/uncategorized/australias-second-richest-professional-runner/

http://www.NBAblues.com

2 Re: Andrew 'Billy' McManus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Great work 'NBA' very interesting interview.

I remember back in 1993 when I heard McManus was looking for a new coach that I saw him at a North Melbourne match and enquired about him perhaps joining Jim Bradley's squad - who at the time had Brimacombe & Witnish among others.

He was pretty adamant he was going to Perth.

Whilst I was disappointed he wasn't staying in Melbourne, in hindsight it was probably the best move for him given the quality of Matt Barber's stable & set up.

Certainly had an amazing career.

Glad he appreciates the mark he was given at the 1999 Bay Sheffield. Once the marks were declared, the race was down to two: McManus v Ross Smith. (didn't know about 3rd placegetter Peter Walsh running so well at the time). In comparison the SA athletes were given no chance whatsoever and it was one of the most lopsided handicapped races I've seen.

3 Re: Andrew 'Billy' McManus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 am

ShaneMcK

I have been fortunate enough to be on hand to witness his Stawell Gift win, Bay Sheff win and Bay Gift win. A real Pro Running legend and certainly deserves a place in a Pro Running National Hall of Fame if one was to ever be created.

In two of these wins that I witnessed, Bay Sheff & Bay Gift, he was not the winner 10m from home, but fortune favours the brave (and well prepared) and reflects well in the interview.

http://www.shanemckenzie.com

4 Re: Andrew 'Billy' McManus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

BMara

I'm still paying off Andrew on the betting plunge. We should be square if I live to 88.---not long to go

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum