PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » TAL handicapping

TAL handicapping

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 TAL handicapping on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
TAL Constitution and Rules 2012

Pg.15
140. No handicap shall be altered after it has been declared except:
140.1. In accordance with the rules laid down for penalties for wins.
140.2. In the event of an obvious error by the Handicapper in the allocation of a handicap, such error shall be
rectified by the Handicapper prior to the commencement of the meeting or in his absence by the Steward in
charge of the meeting.

Local athletes must love it when this rule is enacted and interstaters are pulled on the start line seconds before the gun goes.

139. The Council, after giving notice to the Handicapper and giving him an opportunity of being heard, shall at any
time have power to inquire into the conduct and character, as well as the ability of such Handicapper, and to
cancel his appointment.

2 Re: TAL handicapping on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
What's happened to warrant raising this, Dizzy?

3 Re: TAL handicapping on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:28 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
The TAL has a serious credibility problem caused by the incompetence of the handicapper. To release the handicaps for a major meet like Burnie with more than half of the marks withheld is absurd and grossly unprofessional. It should never happen and certainly in respect to local Tassie athletes, having several of them with no allotted mark defies logic. It's lazy and lacks an understanding of the importance of having a credible, transparent handicapping system.

The Burnie program needs to be published with handicaps otherwise its only worth is the schedule of events.

The Burnie Athetic Club surely could not be happy publishing its program with a bunch of runners with no handicaps.

I don't know why the TAL does not give a form directive to the handicapper to ensure the marks are published in full. Unless the athlete is a complete mystery man (or woman) with little to go on in terms of previous results, then a mark must be allocated.

The BAC should also reintroduce a Calcutta & dinner on New Year's Eve. This gives interstate squads somewhere to go the night before the meet & to be all in the one place would set the atmosphere for the next day. The night can be scheduled to finish around 9.00pm. With only 6 to 8 heats available they would attract some feisty bidding from enthusiastic punters

Doesn't have to be extravagant. Both Camden & Loxton in the SAAL have a Calcutta dinner and it is a great supplement to those meetings. Neither is expensive, offering good money for value.

The TAL needs to take a leaf out of the SAAL's book and learn from how it runs the Bay Sheffield, which continues to widen the gap between the Bay & Burnie. And as a purist I'd much prefer to see Burnie back to where it was in the halcyon days a generation ago, on a par with the Bay, not the "length of the Flemington straight" that exists between them in the current era.

4 Re: TAL handicapping on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:37 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
This might sound like a simple question, but why won’t the big three leagues, TAL, VAL, & the SAAL use the same handicapping guidelines and penalties?

The answer probably involves a combination of the following:
a) Some states currently have no guidelines and would have to admit this.
b) Some people would have to give up some power as the guidelines take precedence and ‘discretion’ is minimised.
c) The VAL, having the most comprehensive and detailed guidelines at present, would appear like the default option, and this would be opposed by other states.

“Tradition can be a noose which one carries around their own neck” DizzyRunner

5 Re: TAL handicapping on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 am

JB

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I understand the pain Dizzy. I rocked up to the 400m at Davenport and was told about an hour before my race that my mark had been pulled by 4-5m (can't recall exactly how much). I wasn't able to appeal it and after the heat I found out that there was an appeal made by a Tasmanian coach against me for winning Camden 8 months prior. I had obviously declared Camden to them when I registered, yet then found out the coach told them that I won it in November, a month prior to the race and it hadn't been declared. Rather than actually checking when Camden was or if I had won one or two Camdens or whatever the case may be they just pulled me. End result.. made the final got beaten by the coaches athlete by about 40m to which they offered me a 1m lift for Burnie 400m. I politely declined and ran the 120m instead.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum