PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Yesterday at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Out of the Ashes for Ray Quarrell

Out of the Ashes for Ray Quarrell

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Out of the Ashes for Ray Quarrell on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/01/15/370387_sport-news.html

Out of the ashes

By BRETT STUBBS
Hobart Mercury
January 15, 2013

THE Tasmanian athletics community is rallying around one of the sport's stalwarts.

Running coach and founder of the Hobart Athletics Club Ray Quarrell lost everything when his house burnt down at Dunalley, including all the equipment for the Hobart Bikes and Spikes carnival well, nearly everything.

So random was the fire, that out of the ashes Quarrell, 65, found the lane ropes used for the sprints completely intact.

Bikes and Spikes was originally cancelled but has been rescheduled for January 28, with the Devonport Athletics Club to donate finishing gates for the event.

The Tasmanian Athletics League has also set up an appeal on its website to help out Quarrell and his wife, Kathleen.

"It has been absolutely amazing, I can't thank them enough," Quarrell said of the support from the athletics community.

The fires destroyed his house and, despite being insured, Quarrell has lost many items that cannot be replaced.

"The memories will still be there, of course. You can't lose those, but I've been running and coaching now for 41 years and if you ran with me I had something written up on you and ... I've lost everything.

"I'm coaching 12 athletes at the moment and I've got nothing on them. So, I've got to go back to the drawing board now."

Planning for Bikes and Spikes continues from a home provided through a family connection.

He said there was never any thought of cancelling the event for 2013.

"Because the sponsors have paid all the money we are committed and I think it is good to move forward," Quarrell said.

"I'm going to invite anyone who was bushfire-affected to have a free day at the Bikes and Spikes.

"It doesn't matter if they are from Dunalley or up the Midlands or East Coast, if they want to have a free day out, come along and watch people ride and run and have a bit of fun."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 ray quarrell bushfire appeal on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:43 pm

smokey

Expert
Expert
Hi All,

On behalf of the Past Runners Association I would like to thank the all those who attended the Ringwood meeting today and contributed so generously to the appeal.
With cheques from both the "Northcote Athletic Club" and the "Past Runners Association" and the cash collected on the day I will be forwarding the sum of $503.70c
to the Tasmanian Athletic League to pass on to Ray and his family.
I am also aware that many runners forward personal contribution as well.
Thanks again one and all.
Rick Dunbar President, Barrie Milligan Secretary, Past Runners Association

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum