PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Rye Handicaps - Any Idea When We'll See Them?

Rye Handicaps - Any Idea When We'll See Them?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rye Handicaps - Any Idea When We'll See Them? on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

DamnFast

Any idea anyone about when we might see handicaps for Rye?

DamnFast

Ps sorry to those who thought this one someone actually posting the handicaps

vicinsider

They are coming!!! Just like christmas is as well!

vicinsider

This is a complete joke.

BMara, MOB explanation please

Trackstar

The VAL admin is as bad as its ever been. This season, one debacle after another. If not for JH's willingness to keep us informed on Protrack I'd hate to think what the entry numbers would be. No marks published two days before the meet - embarrassing. Someone has to take the bull by the horns and get them out.

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Wouldn't the programs need to be printed by now?

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Settle down ladies. Ever think the office is doing the best they can under the circumstances presented.
Some of the issues:
- Admin officer leaves mid winter shortly after moving to new premises,
- new online entry system having issues,
- AV having issues with email provider which stops the ability for out-bound emails,
- athletes still sending entries to old address and the re-direction to new office was delayed by Aust Post for unknown reasons.

None of this is within office admin control. Give them a break and be patient.

At the end of the day your handicap will not be much different to last time you ran. You have the timetable of events and that is all you really need for now.

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Not sure what those issues have to do with the handicaps Ribera?

Mick The Rex

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Cmon Ribena, we all know that we need to plan and scheme our next move, handicaps and entry lists are a big part of our planning and scheming.

Plus those that like a punt need to work out who we're going to plunge in order to see Les Montgomery's blood pressure go through the roof on a book operating at 250% but still seeing him lose on the day.

For what it's worth Mick The Rex is tipping the boy from Mt Martha being the one and only Dream-Weevil.

Trackstar

Ribera wrote:Settle down ladies. Ever think the office is doing the best they can under the circumstances presented.
Some of the issues:
- AV having issues with email provider which stops the ability for out-bound emails,
- athletes still sending entries to old address and the re-direction to new office was delayed by Aust Post for unknown reasons.

At the end of the day your handicap will not be much different to last time you ran. You have the timetable of events and that is all you really need for now.

Understand this is a problem for entries & regos.....but I'm with Smoke'n'Mirroz, what's this got to do with getting the Rye marks published by the Friday before the meet? The program must be out so why can't the marks be published?

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:52:12 +1100
Hi Athletes and Trainers,

Sorry for the delay in sending out the handicaps for Rye.

Because of the Christmas and New Year period our mail was “lost” until this week, which has put us slightly behind.

However, they will be out today.

Thank you again for your patience, Nila

Ribera

Expert
Expert
As the great JB says "You can't educate statues" Razz

Downesy

Ribera wrote:Settle down ladies. Ever think the office is doing the best they can under the circumstances presented.
Some of the issues:

Ditto Ribera. I reckon Nila is doing a great job under the circumstances.
Re. marks. Maybe expect the mark you ran off last meet, and when you see the Rye marks, and you've received a lift, then it's a nice bonus;-) (It ain't gonna be that much different).

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Sorry to disagree Downesy but the current situation is just not good enough. Yes I'm sure Nila is doing the best she can with a shitty situation, however the VAL should not have allowed themselves to get into this situation.
Mark Howard left in the middle of winter, yet they put in place a part time administrator, WTF. Admin of the VAL is not a part time role and it will only get worse as we move into the busiest time of the season with more entries, more rego's and more handicapping to be done. Mistakes will happen and good people will lose races because of it. You pay your rego and entry and you should expect a level of service that currently isn't close to being met.

Once again, this is not a crack at Nila, this is a crack at the VAL for poor decision making.

Trackstar

The problem Ribera is that statues appear to be running the VAL.
Agree with Phantom. It's not Nila's fault if she's not getting the support she needs.
I can't believe how readily people accept a level of service that is miles from what it was 30 years ago let alone last year. Someone has to take responsibility and fix it soon because it's only going to get busier.

Ribera

Expert
Expert
It would not have mattered who was in the job or what processes were in place. You still would not have got your precious Rye handicaps until today. Half the entries not receieved until this week. It is very difficult to educate statues.
As far as the rest of your gripes about the "VAL" then that is another subject all together. Talk to a board member about your issues instead of swiping on here.
At the end of the day things are a little frustrating for everyone but in the big scheme of life who cares.

ps. the most important piece of early info is not the handicaps, it is the timetable so you can plan your day/weekend.

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
"It would not have mattered who was in the job or what processes were in place. You still would not have got your precious Rye handicaps until today. Half the entries not receieved until this week. It is very difficult to educate statues."

You are right, it is very difficult to educate statues. This is not just about handicaps for Rye, it is about the whole administration of the sport at present. The fact that half the entries haven't been received until this week is only one of many issues. Look at the debacle of the women's race at CW on the weekend. Two of the finalists ran off incorrect marks in the heats and still ran in the final. Handicappers are making up handicaps on the day due to additional/incorrect entries, which can only spell disaster. Runners are spending time on race day chasing up marks rather than warming up, or the officials being able to to thir job, etc.
These are not issues that have just bobbed up in the last 2 weeks, they were foreseeable, avoidable and unprofessional by the VAL. As for your reference to people 'swiping' on here, I think people have been very patient till this point of the season. Better they vent on here then contact the office or board members to complain, it would only create more distractions for people who already have a lot on their plate.

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Ribera

Taking 'swipes' here is one of the best ways to inform and improve. It might not seem graceful but it provides a form of feedback which is direct, easily accessible, and most importantly, anonymous.

Research suggests that when employees are given the chance to provide feedback to their employers anonymously, they are far more honest compared to when they are required to be identified, thus resulting in changes which are relevant and appropriate.

Thus far on this thread, no personal attacks have been made, but where else can one go when one has a serious gripe with an official/s, be they a handicapper or otherwise, without wanting to attract future ill-treatment at the hands of those with the most power. The English idiom 'don't bite the hand that feeds' is most apt here, and the anonymity of posting through a seemingly ubiquitous digital medium allows for one to avoid the repercussions that such an idiom alludes to.

Nonetheless, Nila seems great, and so I've written her this limerick.

Nila works in an office all day
On an alphanumeric display.
But some people are dumb,
Sprinters some have become
“where’s my lift” is now all they can say.

Trackstar

Sounds like Ribera is connected in some way to the VAL Board. Wink
We speak up at the meets or contact the VAL by phone/email and we disrupt others doing their job.
This forum is the only platform to to vent our frustrations.
As Phantom said the warning signs have been around since September and we're now entering a critical part of the season and things are bound to get worse. No
Understand why's there's problems and we hope things get better....... Going to be diabolical at Rye when athletes finally find out their marks and they happen to be incorrect due to admin error.

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Not connected in any way to the board. Just see things a little different to the many doubting Thomas’s out there.
Adios amigos and see you at Rye.

youngy

Admin
Admin
In just about every other thread I've agreed or supported Ribera' point of view but I can't agree with him in terms of this issue about VAL members venting their frustration with the admin of the VAL on the forum.

It is evident that the level of excellent service the VAL was renowned for until the departure of Mark Howard has dropped away considerably.

Maybe they, the members, were spoilt in the past with the smooth running of the VAL under Mark, but there are major problems in the VAL this year and it's better that some passionate members make it known on the forum they're disappointed with the way things are going rather than silently walking away.

There's been no personal attacks on anyone, in fact there appears to be empathy for Nila's predicament, so there's nothing wrong with venting one's frustration on the forum.

From a personal point of view, I find it frustrating not knowing what events and what prize money is being offered for meets coming up such as Stonnington & Bendigo. I'm trying to organise a group to head over to Victoria and without that info, we're a little in the dark as to what's going on.

Anyway, today's news is tomorrow's fish & chip wrappers so we'll move on.

ProTrackRunner

I have to agree with Phantom, i am waiting for my gift handicaps like many others however it doesn't hinder any game plans, if it is then you are clearly trying to cheat the system. Run off the mark you are on and race to your ability, that's what it always should be about.

I also agree that contacting the VAL with issue's will only create more stress for a crew that is clearly battling some issue's.

I do however agree that the system should be faster, the handicaps should be released in a timely manor and everything should be more organized however if we cannot be constructive in helping fix the situation then any comments are useless.

There is constructive critisism and negative pointless critisism, unfortunately the latter is occuring.

cali mike

As a novice runner only being in the system 2 years, I have seen a significant drop off in the quality and service at the VAL.

Being new to the sport of Pro Running, Mark was a great help and was always patient and helpful with my enquiries.

Now I call up the VAL and I either speak to an Athletics Victoria employee who doesn't know a thing about the sport or I chat with Nila who is that snowed under she doesn’t know whether its Friday or Monday!

I would love to see my mark in the week leading up to an event as being a new runner it gives me confidence when I have a lift next to my name.

The current service at the moment is not up to scratch. The service to it’s customers is sub par and their needs to be action.

I am under the impression that the VAL has people waiting in the wings to take up the full time admin role. Why not do something about it earlier then rather than wait until the business end of the season for it all to turn to sh*t.

jwwoo4

Phantom: "Mistakes will happen and good people will lose races because of it."

I think we've witnessed this over the weekend. A mistake in the handicapping of the 800m very likely affected the outcome of the final, and probably the heats as well. Although I have an obvious bias because I run with him, it probably cost Tom Kelly his first win over 800m.

I take the point about commenting on the forum without approaching the VAL administration directly. However, on Saturday when our group spoke to handicappers after the race the comments were effectively "you're in good form, have a go next week". To me that is not acceptable. There seems to be no real acknowledgement that a mistake was made that very likely affected the outcome of the race.

I know the VAL have it tough at the moment, and that being an official is a often a thankless job which can attract a lot of criticism. Everyone makes mistakes. However, based on other comments it seems there were similar handicapping issues at Cricket Willow .

The VAL have to take responsibility to make sure these kind of mistakes don't continue to happen. There seems to be a growing amount of frustration with the VAL across a number of issues, and this will only turn people away from the sport.

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Fair call, that it is not good enough and unlucky for Tom.
However, the athlete in question must take some responsibility for his own actions. He ran off 82m at Daylesford and won then ran off 82m again at Rye.
Cmon people, you are all quick enough to whinge when your handicap is incorrect and not in your favour. It goes both ways.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum