PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » OVER35er

OVER35er

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 OVER35er on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Youve become such a hit I have decided to give you your own topic, a matter of fact youve become nearly as popular as Gangnum style.
Just checked out TTG handicaps , pat on the back, good numbers and numbers look good in the circle events if they stand up.
Sponsors would have to be happy if all the runners roll up.
Chris Johnson Memorial would certainly be a fairytale if Tim can get up.
Good to see the OLD CODGERS supporting their mate by nominating in numbers as well.
29 degrees what a night it should be

2 Re: OVER35er on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Cheers Whispers, over35er a billion hits on you tube you reckon?

Saturday night looks great atm, great numbers so a big thanks to everyone supporting our one and only northeast meets of the year.

Anyone that knows Tim Johnson will see not only what a great sprinter/athlete he is and a humble great guy as well. With Chris Johnson's involvement through out Tim's years of competing from little A's to over 35's and open SAAL events has given us all someone to look upto and be inspired by.
Chris Johnson's involvement in Athletics and TTG Athletics Centre will be outlined in a short story in the program, so look out for that and have a read when you can.

Given this is now my topic/thread;
What the hell is Airtight on about in the London based Brian Wright wins Daylesford Gift on about. A grade athlete leaves because a 50 year old wins, now who is whinging?
(I wasn't about to hi-jack that thread also).

3 Re: OVER35er on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Trackstar

Over35er has some serious inferiority issues going on. Seriously stay in Adelaide, don't bother running In Vic, some Vic athletes like a sledge and you have given em a lot of material. The pink silks don't look good with tears running down them.

4 Re: OVER35er on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Sledge away, you dont have much else going for you in Victoria!

5 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
over35er,
Thank your lucky stars you are not a veteran female in Victoria as there are limits on vets races over here.
If I were you I'd be grateful for being able to run in any veteran race of your choice in SA without handicap limit prejudice.

6 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 am

I here you Ribera. As I have stated as my opinion limits go against the grain of what handicap racing is all about.
Luckily for me at this stage I'm the chaser not the chasee in the vets, but you wont hear me complain about running off 10m busting my butt to catch someone of 50m+ in a 200m and for the 120m off 9m catching someone of 32m. Massive difference when compared to someone of 7m catching someone of 15m in a 120m open.
If we had a limit at the bay 120m over 35's of 12m, we wouldnt have much of a comp.
If there was a limit at the Bay 120m over 35's, would the competitors of 12m + be considered selfish if they were left out and felt they shouldnt be?

7 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Agree wholeheartedly over35er. Codgers races should not have limits. In Vic, the 300m codgers races are some of the best entertainment around.

8 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am

Trackstar

Limits ensure runners have to train to be competitive. Must have some limits otherwise joe public could just front up with no training and just compete on the day.

9 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Joe Public would not be able to front up without training and win as they would not get a big enough handicap to start with. They would get the novice veteran handicap allotment. EG/ 9M in a gift if they are over 35 and have no performances suggesting they are better than that. That is a complete seperate handicapping issue.
Limits is seperate and ensures the race is kept to a relative standard and is very much needed in open and women races. My view is veteran races should not have limits. It is a restricted category and allows people in their twilight years to keep competing. I would rather see Brian Hart win a veteran race than Tim Johnson. Tim Johnson and other young veterans have other options and can still be relatively competetive in open races.
We are in a changing world and veteran ranks are starting to swell as people remain active longer in life. Unless your a world age champion, a 60 year old women cannot compete in the 100m veterans at Stawell due to the handicap limit. This is no doubt to keep a certain standard, however is highly prejudicial to the veteran female. Instead the young veteran gets a few bites of the cherry and can also run in the gift, 70m and 200m.

10 Re: OVER35er on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I think Joe public should be able to compete. With or without good training they are unlikely to be competitive for the reason Ribera mentioned. Everyone knows you can't just role up on the day, we all need to do our apprenticeship before expecting to be competitive.
I was Joe public 11 years ago, trained (as best I could to my knowledge) in the lead up, but having never sprinted before soon got found out.
If I was perceived as "Joe public" and not allowed to run, then I wouldn't still be doing this.
We shouldn't discourage Joe public of the opportunity to compete, surely we want as much interest and competitors out there as possible. Whats to say now I compete, that my son or daughter might also when old enough. Who knows where our next Australian champs could come from. If we say sorry you're 56 years old and no good, don't bother, we risk the potentially losing something special. If we want to find our best we need to create interest in the sport.
In the case that someone is that bad, they'll soon know and wont stick around anyway, but at least give them a chance.

I'd have to say that I would prefer to see Tim Johnson win an over 35's over Brian. Don't get me wrong, I love Brian, he's my favorite man with a starting pistol, his passion for the sport is second to none.
Watching the man in red bust his backside to round down the man in brown is just a great spectacle. As a spectator I'd prefer any backmarker to win in any of our events, but I'm not going to whinge if they don't. If they're of 5m or 45m, its handicap racing, this is what its all about.
We are in a changing world, we need to consider all options that are in the best interest of the sport. Limits in the events like Stawell and the Bay make sense as long as there are other options for all athletes.
My point on limits is there are no options for a sprinter when it comes to limits at Hectorville, Loxton and Whyalla only 300's and 400's. Give us a 120m option or at least a 70m or 200m.
Thankfully we have options at Mt Gambier 70m open and 70m over 35's, same at the Bay with 120m restricted and 120m over 35's.
Maybe some of the old codgers that run the sport need to move on and get some young blood in with fresh ideas. Ohhh thats gonna come back!

11 Re: OVER35er on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I remember attending a workshop on Negotiation and the instructor had an orange. He said he only had one orange but two people wanted the orange and they each required the whole orange, so it couldn't be cut in two.

The Negotiator asked each of them what they wanted it for and the first guy said he wanted to bake a cake. The second guy said he wanted to make a smoothie.

The Negotiator said the answer is simple. The first guy needs the rind for his cake, the second guy needs the juice for the smoothie. So each can have a different part of the orange.

What I'm reading now is that Over35er is happy to attend Loxton & Whyalla and accept the limits for the Gift so long as he has another race to compete in to compensate him & others who run from 12m plus. I agree there should be an Open 70m at each of those meets. They can still have the Novice 70m but an additional Open 70m would definitely enhance the meets. I also think Over35er needs to look at the 300m (which both Whyalla & Loxton have on its program) as an option. It doesn't take much more training than he probably is doing already and wouldn't take him long to be competitive in those events.

Hence like the lads with the orange, a compromise can be reached without affecting the integrity of the Gifts at these meets.

12 Re: OVER35er on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Pretty spot on there Youngy. I've considered the 300m, done so at Marion and wasnt too far off the mark, so I bit of extra work there, will do me well.
The great part about the Bay and Mt Gambier is there are options like in the 70 open and 70 over 35's at the Mount and 70 and 120 restricted or 120 over 35's at the Bay. To go to Loxton or Whyalla for 300's when its not quite your thing you have way up. With Hectorville you need to look at the 400???. Ideally 70's would draw me there adding the 300's makes the trip worth it.

I also have to appoligise for not recognising the Whyalla event as prestigious, having had a look at the results posted on pro-track I now see how long it has run. Having run for so long, makes it that bit more special. The same might be said for Loxton? not sure how long that has been around? Hectorville not so sure about, with all due respect to John and co?

One other question tho, what if the instructor had a banana? lol!

13 Re: OVER35er on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Now if the instructor had a banana ,thats a different story , as the options/uses are so much more Laughing

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum