PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Bay polls?

Bay polls?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bay polls? on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 pm

safrican

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Are we going to have any bay polls?

2 Re: Bay polls? on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
hey Safrican, I was thinking of a little poll:

A- Stokesy runs the 550 over35s

B- Stokesy scratches from the 550 over35s

Background:
Stokesy is a sprinter with two sashes in the 120m over35s last season but no sashes (or even podiums) this season so far. Stokesy has a couple of sashes in the 300m over35s (Loxton 2011, Reynella 2010) and one 200m over35s (Tea Tree Gully 2011) and one 120m over45s (Hectorvile 2011). Stokesy has had one podium in the 400m (Camden 2nd behind Debbie Roberts/DeVizio 2011).

Stokesy has had one 550m over35s run with the SAAL, a few weeks ago at the PreBay, off 48m.

As predicted by Stokesy, the other runners finished before Stokesy entered the home straight.

"It is like a marathon for me" says Stokesy.

At Brighton last Sunday, the Chief Steward talked to Stokesy about this and Stokesy has said he will scratch from the Bay Sheff 550m for over35s if so instructed.

Stokesy has a mark of 55m for the event.

3 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Its a complete joke that you got a lift for your Pre Bay effort.

4 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:25 am

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Hi Whispers

Thanks for that. It is a joke that you do not appreciate, or so I gather.

I did my best (at the PreBay 550), chasing much younger much fitter distance-experienced athletes with most of one hundred metres less to run.

With the 7 metre "lift" I will still be unable to be competitive. Another joke. At my current level with the 550m, I need a 90 metre lift and that looks like taking several years with many embarrassing distant finishes.

Perhaps my regular sub-14 secs times for the 100m suggest that I can do the 400 in sub 60 secs, but my best 400 time is around 64. And like I have said often, the 550m is like a marathon to me.

I know of at least one person who has come to the league and run one 550m race where they were embarrassed by their lack of competitiveness due to the mark they were given.

And that person no longer runs with the SAAL.

So the SAAL motto is what exactly?

The SA Athletic League's Mission Statement:

"To promote athletics as an enjoyable, healthy sport for people of all categories and abilities."

5 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:46 am

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Best poll question ever Stokesy - can only speak for Mirrorz but Have been thinking about you and the O35s 550 all week.

What about:

What did Stokesy eat for breakfast?
Who is Stokesy's favourite Big Bash player?
Did Stokesy really take the last cookie?
If Stokesy cut a piece of string, how long would it be?
Pick a number between 1 and 10.

6 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 am

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
hey S and M

haha

"Every Circus Needs A Clown"

7 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:25 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Stokesy , so you admit your best time for 400m is 64 seconds.
At the Pre Bay you only had to run 502 metres, so these figures alone suggest that you are along way off PB form or just didnt try.
What time did you run at the Pre Bay as given the figures YOU have given you should have been able to run a time somewhere around 84 seconds at least.
I reckon if you run the 550m at the Bay it would be a good time to go to the bathroom or the bar.
I have supported and enjoyed the flair you have brought to Pro running but in my opinion and obviously that of the Chief Stewerd you can do better over 550m.

8 Re: Bay polls? on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Hey Whispers, thanks for the input.

Three years ago, when I ran 64 seconds for the 400m (average speed 6 and a bit m/sec), I was for a couple of minutes unable to walk (let alone run any further).
I have seen Amin Chehade do a 52 second 400m (just under 8 m/sec), and at the Pre-Bay he ran 550-18=532m in 84 secs (just over 6 m/sec).

I reckon I ran the 550-48=502, at the Pre-Bay in about 100 seconds, or about 5 m/sec average speed.
If I had tried to run faster earlier maybe I would have been unable to complete. As it was I needed only a half minute or so collapsed on the ground recovery time, so yes I could have run a bit faster maybe. But it was my first ever 550 and my first ever run on the Colley Reserve circle track.

I see Amin as an experienced campaigner, with a very similar but arguably worse PreBay 550m numeric performance to me (in terms of the difference between old Santos 400 speed to now Colley Reserve 550 speed).

I think I get the message which seems to be "stay off the circle track" or maybe even "get off the arena all together".

Certainly that message was loud and clear to my friend who ran one SAAL 550 over35s and now no longer competes with the SAAL.

I try to address serious issues with humour and in this case I seem to have had a very strong negative reaction from two people.

I am nearly 60 years old and still running fast over short distances, so I reckon I am a big winner in terms of health and fitness, many thanks to all the SAAL mob including you Whispers and also S and M.

Anyone else got something to say on the issue?

PreBay 9th December 2012
550m O/35's FINAL
1 Mark Howson (122) 1-16.82
2 Bian Golden (10) 1-18.33
3 David Miller (46) 1-18.58
4 Steven Wilson (34) 1-19.15
5 Salvador Jurado (34) 1-19.98
6 Richard Everest (52) 1-20.64
7 Mick Abbott (74) 1-22.01
8 Amin Chehade (18) 1-23.48
9 Gregor Dingwall (56) 1-24.59

9 Re: Bay polls? on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
okay Whispers and S and M and The Chief Steward.

I get the message.

I will be scratching from the 550m for over35s at the Bay tomorrow 28th December 2012.

And I plan at this stage to not be entering any more SAAL events - the current handicapping system is too discouraging for me, with what seem like blatant biases.

If I stayed with the SAAL, I would be compelled to fight for a new and better system, but it seems that that is not wanted by the SAAL - and I have other things to do with my life.

Thanks everybody, it has been fun.

My SAAL sashes were hard won and I treasure them.

Today I was thrilled to see Ali Trewartha and Michael Nitschke score fine wins.

And I will enjoy watching Caldow make it three in a row tomorrow ... and I will be doing track roster for Team Townley in the morning, making sure that Mick Buckler knows that I am doing my bit.

Best wishes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum