PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » To shake or not to shake?

To shake or not to shake?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 To shake or not to shake? on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 pm

With all due respect to those that like the hand shake before a race, I personally think its not necessary and should be left at the end once the race has been run and won.
It seems only in the over 35's + that some find it necessary to shake the hand each competitor and wish them good luck. Do they really mean it? Is it a nice gesture, good luck hope you win (I doubt it), or good luck you are going to need it, hmmm?
If each competitor shakes the hand of every other competitor we have 56 hand shakes (8 x 7) before the race and another 56 and the end of the race. Do we need 102 hand shakes for one 13 second race?
Its great to say at the end well done or bad luck, although you can never be sure who won or came 8th, I've probably said well done to the guy that came 8th and bad luck to the one that came 2nd and makes a final, who knows but it is the sporting thing to do.
Its also sporting before a game of tennis to hand shake but that can go for several hours not 13 seconds. Football, the captains do it, can you imagine if all players did, whats that 22 x 22, it'd be half time by the time all the hand shaking was done?. Its competition, lets compete and then say well done, bad luck, or what ever at the end of it.
With the fear of alienating myself, that's my opinion, whats yours?

2 Re: To shake or not to shake? on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
28 shakes, I believe. 7+6+5+4+3+2+1.

3 Re: To shake or not to shake? on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 am

You are right ToM, I had a feeling that was the math, still 28 too many.

4 Re: To shake or not to shake? on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 am

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
MiRrOrZ always runs better after a couple of minutes of Greco Roman wrestling behind the blocks

5 Re: To shake or not to shake? on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 am

JB

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I used to do it before every race as a mark of respect to the other athletes. I don't do it as much now simply because I see the same people in the race week in week out and becomes a bit pointless. I know one race at TTG Pro meet I got told off for shaking hands with people, which I find ridiculous and had a heated chat with the official who pulled me up on it.

To be honest I have no issue with it as long as people don't do it in an aggressive way. Each to their own and you don't have to shake the guys hand back.

6 Re: To shake or not to shake? on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am

SpeedyDude

I personally shake the hand of every competitor in a race before hand. I think it is a mark of respect and I do genuinely wish my competitors all the best each race. There is plenty of time in between races for this to happen so I don't see why it would be a problem?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum