PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Gerrard Keating returns home after Vietnam coaching stint

Gerrard Keating returns home after Vietnam coaching stint

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.gattonstar.com.au/news/gerrard-keating-returns-home-vietnam-coaching/1642717/

Gerrard Keating returns home after Vietnam coaching stint

By Glen McCullough
The Gatton Star
1st Dec 2012

GERRARD Keating hasn't completely ruled out taking up a future overseas athletics' appointment but a return to what he loves best is now his priority.

Keating returned to Toowoomba last month after completing a stint in Vietnam as the country's national sprint coach.

The former high-profile Australian coach and Glennie School athletics' director describes his sojourn as "eye-opening" on both a sporting and cultural level.

"It was a great opportunity and I'm glad I did it," Keating said.

"Whether or not I would do it again is probably hard to say.

"I'm certainly happy to be home and I'm looking forward to doing what I love and that's working with our athletes."

Keating has been left with a lasting impression of Vietnam's patriotism and work ethic, while he believes their athletes possess potential but are lacking in experience and opportunities on the international stage.

"I learned a lot over there," Keating said.

"l learned a lot more about patience and how to adapt in what is a different world.

"Their athletics' facilities are good but they don't move far away from their structures which limited me as a coach.

But I adapted very quickly which surprised me a bit.

"I tried to educate their federation where possible and they were very supportive of me, even if it was a bit of a battle at times.

"One of my jobs now I've returned home is to try and organise a camp in Toowoomba for Vietnamese athletes which I'm sure they'll benefit from.

"In the meantime I'm looking for work.

"I'm keen to get going again and I hope by next year I'll be back into something fulltime."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum