PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Gone for Toskas

Gone for Toskas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Gone for Toskas on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:45 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
An interesting story in the Australian, nestled at the bottom of the World Wife Carrying Championships.
w w w.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/she-aint-heavy-shes-my-missus/story-e6frg7t6-1226494713954
------------------------------------------
Gone for a Toskas

EXCUSE of the week came to AWAAT with the slightly off-putting title Toskas and Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel [2012] AATA 662 (1 October 2012). But it did get better.

It turns out the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority dropped in on a training session at Melbourne Olympic Park on February 21 last year and the coach suggested a couple of athletes - one of whom was the Victorian Athletic League's Tommy Toskas.

After identifying himself as Tommy Toskas, he was told "he had been selected to complete a blood and urine test and the applicant (Toskas) said words to the effect - 'No way, you can't do that'," the tribunal decision reads.

Toskas then went to the stadium office to have a squiz at the ASADA website with doping control officer Trevor Ashman.

"The applicant (Toskas) said he had to go to his car, which was parked nearby, in order to move it and obtain his driver's licence as proof of identity ... the applicant said words to the effect 'I'm not Tommy Toskas, that's my brother' ... "

The old "blame the brother" routine.

And it went on: "The applicant then took his driver's licence out of his wallet, which was located in a bag in the car but would not give it to Mr Ashman.

"He said part of the name on the licence was obscured by the applicant's thumb ... The applicant then entered the car and drove away."

A classic getaway.

Cross-examined later, Toskas maintained he was his brother - despite other runners and his coach identifying him - and argued that the other athletes and coaches "didn't like me".

Toskas's coach Mark Howard - who also happens to be chief executive officer of the athletic league - then revealed he had received a letter from Toskas.

"Tommy asked me if I would lie to ASADA in order for him to keep competing."

When this issue was clarified during cross-examination, Mr Howard said that the applicant then said words to the effect "Please do me a favour and go with me on this one.

"Tell them I wasn't there that night."

The old "You got my back, bro?" routine.

Tribunal conclusion: "Having made those findings, I am satisfied that the applicant did breach the anti-doping rule in regulation."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum