PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Results
Today at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Demise of the 120m Under 20's at the Bay Sheffield

Demise of the 120m Under 20's at the Bay Sheffield

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

youngy

Admin
Admin
I was sad to see there is no Under 20's 120m at the Bay Sheffield carnival this year.

The under 20's 120m was a race that's been around since the 1980's and had become a traditional part of the first day of the carnival.

I admit I have a vested interest with six 18/19 year olds in my squad so my view could be perceived as biased but regardless of whether I had athletes eligible for it, I am a stickler for the traditions of the sport and I like to see continuity of events that have a 20 year plus history.

I also felt the under 20's was always a handy race for those teenagers uncompetitive at open level. Expecially 18/19 year old novices who haven't been around long enough to establish a competitive open handicap in their first or second year. The under 20's has always been more liberally handicapped to give those athletes a chance to be competitive.

I have spoken to Deb from the SAAL about it and I accept the decision to drop the Under 20's was an agonising one and not taken lightly. But I do think there will be probably many Under 20 athletes - several of whom have graduated from the under 18's last season who will be disappointed to see the event removed from their list of options - and for quite a few, probably their best chance of being competitive at the Bay Sheffield carnival.

safrican

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
agreed Youngy! I know of quiet a few U20 athletes that love the chance to be highly competitive at the Bay in this event and like you said aren't ready for the open level. A huge disappointment for such an excellent carnival.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Totally agree with everyone.No good promoting underage athletics with under 14 and under 17 events then not catering for the under 20s when it counts.
Say if I was a very average 19 year old athlete where do I run Christmas time , may as well booze on the hill.Restricted has limit ,70m has limit .Sheff has limit.
The under 20 120m has regularly produced an elite winner and there has been numerous heats ,whats the problem.
The list of events is getting more like the AFL draw ,we dont forsee these problems until they are upon us.
For me I would rather watch an exciting under 20 event rather than watch Master athletes run who dont support the league.

safrican

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
spot on whispers

Rookie

Totally agree with you all!!
Having competed in the u20 Race myself it was always great to be on the big stage and be competitive. If I was in the same position now and could still compete in that age group I would be very disappointed because not being at a level to be even remotely competitive in the open (not much has changed mind you haha) and the restricted is also generally a big step up as well.
Plus as an u20 $40 to compete in a race to come last in a heat isn't very appealing!!

ozsprinter

Makes it tough for kids new to the sport...Seb Baird for example...is only 15 and is already getting caned on his handicap...losing the u20's will make it even harder for him to have something to shoot for

Rookie

That is one of the worst examples you could have given!!
That kid has massive amounts f talent and will win an open gift in the near future and could massively shake up a semi at the bay!!
the kid will be big!!!

Cant understand how you have under 14's, under 17's and under 20's for the duration of the season but for the bay it changes to under 18's, makes no sense to me?

Matenga

Yeah the Seb Baird example isn't a good choice. A better example would be the young kids that are on double digit handicaps just to be competitive in the under 20 races alone. So even giving them the limit in the open Bay isn't gonna help them in the slightest.

Its way too much money and just out of their league to even think of competing in the open Bay Sheffield. Just scrap the Under 18 Bay Sheffield and make it an Under 20 Bay Sheffield, there is zero need to have an under 18 event over an under 20

We need a "like" icon to click on when we like a comment, like facebook.

ozsprinter

The reference to someone new like a Seb Baird who I agree has some obvious talent, was more so to highlight the lack of a " transition" for kids like him from a junior level up to the open's....and giving them an incentive to firstly get involved, and then to stay involved in the sport, and have an opportunity for some good exposure at a marquee event like the Sheff.

ShaneMcK

I'd say the vast majority of what the SAAL does is a shining example of progressive administration and direction in the sport of athletics, one that many Leagues and Associations can learn a lot from, but dropping the U/20 120m event is massive exercise in poor administration, Shame on SAAL for dropping it.

I am all for developing young athletes and catering for them. I too, like Youngy had an vested interest in this event, I was going to have 3 or 4 of my U/20 athletes from Vic run as they are 18/19 years of age, but now they do not have that opportunity. I am really disappointed this race isn't happening this year. Now I will have no athletes there at all. With the emotional connection I have at the Bay, I was really looking forward to having my athletes compete there for the first time.

Hopefully SAAL will take heed from the previous posts and put it back on the card next year as this is a fantastic graduation event for those between U/18 and Novice/Open. This sport is about inclusion, the more we include then healthier the sport is. Perhaps an idea for next year is dropping the U/14 & U/17 and having U/16 & U/20 in place. To me, that seems to be less exclusive and could cover all the age groups fairly.

http://www.shanemckenzie.com

youngy

Admin
Admin
I believe the lack of consultation that has gone into this decision has disappointed quite a few people. The Alby Donnelly memorial trophy was presented last year for the first time specifically for the Under 20's race and now it's in limbo.

I'm of the opinion that perhaps there's a vested interest at play and there's more to this than what's being offered......

BG

I normally wouldn't dignify garbage with a response, but tell me Youngy, what is the vested interest? Are you saying that it is because you have a couple of 19 year olds and that's why the Under 20s is no longer?

The decision to cancel the under 20s was mine. It was a balance of a number of things, including obtaining prize money in an increasingly tight market(the responsibility for which rests with me), programming, the carnival length, sponsor attraction and the fact that at last year's event, the Under 18s 120m and the Under 20s 120m were virtually the same field.

Further, I went to the trouble of emailing you last week to let you know this, yet you still come out with some "vested interest" garbage? Let me know what my vested interest is.

You do a lot of good for the sport Youngy, but you poison that good with comments like this.

BG

youngy

Admin
Admin
]
BG wrote:I normally wouldn't dignify garbage with a response, but tell me Youngy, what is the vested interest? Are you saying that it is because you have a couple of 19 year olds and that's why the Under 20s is no longer?

The decision to cancel the under 20s was mine. It was a balance of a number of things, including obtaining prize money in an increasingly tight market(the responsibility for which rests with me), programming, the carnival length, sponsor attraction and the fact that at last year's event, the Under 18s 120m and the Under 20s 120m were virtually the same field.

Further, I went to the trouble of emailing you last week to let you know this, yet you still come out with some "vested interest" garbage? Let me know what my vested interest is.

You do a lot of good for the sport Youngy, but you poison that good with comments like this.

BG

I think with a sport that has been going for over 100 years, we are merely custodians of it and the decisions taken in respect to a change such as this should take heed of what's gone on before us and with respect to those who will follow.

This race had a strong historical connection with the Bay Sheffield carnival. It is too important to just toss it aside without consulting others.

I've spoken to several people in the sport over the last week and the fact you have confirmed the decision was your's alone proves that no-one else saw this coming. My belief, and it's shared by everyone I've spoken to as well as those who have offered a view on this forum, is it should have followed a proper consultative process.

The SAAL is not a committee of one.

You have jumped to the wrong conclusion by saying that my opinion about a possible vested interest had something to do with my squad......my backyard. That's not what I meant at all.

I just don't accept the decision was based purely on the points you've stated because the argument doesn't stand up against the weight of evidence of why it should have been retained.

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make the opinion garbage.

BG

I asked what the vested interest is and you haven't addressed it. What is it?

ShaneMcK

BG,
As I stated above, the SAAL is the shining light. That shining light is your legacy. You have been part of the leadership of the SAAl from the challenges of Mr Nadillo and the relocations and saviour of the Bay Sheffield. But to drop this event from the card is incredibly disappointing.
If the number were the same, then that's fine, but please just don't drop it. I had a few of my new athletes primed to run in the U20 (They are 18 & 19) so they can experience their first Bay Sheff, interstate athletes. This decision has effectively turned them away. They are so disappointed. They aren't yet up to running in the novice yet, the U20 would have been a great graduation opportunity for them as they are 1st year athletes.
I have a strong connection to this event, it's very dear to my heart. It was this event that put me in the position to now be in the Hall of Fame. It was my launching platform. I don't want to see this opportunity for others disappear.
BG, please, include this for next year's Bay Sheff. You are a strong leader and one I believe in. The numbers in the SAAL and meetings on the calendar reflect the greatness you have done for the sport in SA, but please consider picking up the ball on this one. Feel free to give me a buzz if you want to chat offline.

http://www.shanemckenzie.com

Trackstar

One thing you can't deny is Shane Mac has real passion!
Dropping the U/20s makes little sense. Just stops a lot of teeangers from running in a traditional junior race. In athletics U/20 has always been juniors. ie: World juniors is U/20.
Junior Bay Sheff should be U/20.

No Chance

BG - what sort of dollars are needed to run the u/20s event at the Bay Sheff?

20 Mr on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm

christmas_cato

Are there many blokes moving on to run well in the open races? Cause I won it and cant sprint to save myself. I also recall when I won it Caldow won the sheffield and him being 2 years younger than me it felt like a bit of a non-event. On the other hand it was a little race that gave me something to do on the first day so i could run the 550 on day 2, and a win is always a good feeling no matter what the conditions of the race with a bit of drinking money on the side.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Why not increase the prizemoney for under 20 to approx $1500 first prize.
Scrap the under 18 and make the under 20 race Junior Bay Sheff Champion.
Make the race the last race on Day 1.
Im sure the race would attract extra entries from interstate.
It would also increase the crowd for Day 1
Now I know of ifs and buts , but a Junior Bay Sheffiield final field for 2012 COULD look like this
J Caldow
C BAKER
S Baird
B RICHARDS
T Sanderson-Milera
D Bulek
S Osmond
Throw in a couple of interstaters and the odd female such as Orman and you have one hell of a race.
To make sure its a prestigeous event make a limit on the race but also on the program put on a frontmarkers under 20 for much less money.
What does everyone else think.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum