PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » A northern SA track, one day!!

A northern SA track, one day!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 A northern SA track, one day!! on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm

flashest1

I recently seen the Salisbury Athletics facility, this may be a good option for a northern based Santos type surface as the basic infrastructure seems to be there, pretty good setup. It is in an industrial area so security after hours may be an issue. The track as it is, is 8 lanes and dolomite surface. Is this a possibility? One north, one south [would Noarlunga be too far] & Santos. Surely, we at least need one other than Santos.

2 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Betina

If you are looking for someone to contact regarding an Athletics Development Plan for the North or a potential location for future track location you can call Paul Zimny at Salisbury council on 8406 8222 and he will be happy to discuss.

Cheers

3 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Cant imagine Adelaide needing 2 tracks let alone 3, cubs are struggling to get the numbers needed to compete for points as it is, cant see the ASA needing or wanting another track to use for comp. Might be handy for schools comps etc.

4 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 pm

flashest1

When santos was under redevelopment what was the alternative track like at Enfield? Yes, school comps etc could be using the second track. Maybe a lot more school sports days could be held at a decent facility instead of dodgy school tracks and ovals. People out north or south [if there was a suitable venue] would be able to train regularly on good quality synthetic surfaces. Little Athletics may have more exposure to synthetic? Is there any history of pro races being run on synthetic, if so maybe that could be an option for 1 meet a year? Apparently Victoria has 27 or more synthetic tracks [not sure what sort of condition they are in]

5 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm

It would be good to have a pro meet on a synth track, something different. Little aths also is a good point you make.

6 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
over35er wrote:Cant imagine Adelaide needing 2 tracks let alone 3, cubs are struggling to get the numbers needed to compete for points as it is, cant see the ASA needing or wanting another track to use for comp. Might be handy for schools comps etc.

This is symptomatic of the 'Adelaide way' of thinking. Just have one track because a few clubs are struggling for numbers.....

Victoria has nearly 30 synthetic tracks but less than a third are used for any form of regular school or senior competition.

Victoria has many small clubs struggling for numbers but go to any one of the three metropolitan meets on a Saturday afternoon and you will find hundreds of athletes engaged in competition.

The Victorian Little A's association is very progressive and assertively pushes for synthetic tracks for its member clubs. A Little A's club just needs to orchestrate a campaign for a synthetic track on the premise that "surrounding clubs have synthetic tracks so we need one too," and the local council almost feels embarrassed if it does not provide the funding for a track.

In Adelaide the culture is totally opposite, no Little A's club is encouraged to seek out a synthetic track because its regarded as an unfair advantage. Every club has to compete on grass because we do not have a progressive Little A's organisation willing to back a little A's club's push for a synthetic track. It's a very outdated view but one we're stuck with until someone with vision and initiative realises we are being left behind by the rest of the country and decides to change the culture.

If just one Little A's club (with a decent membership of say 200 plus) vigorously campaigned for a synthetic track AND it was backed by the state Little A's association, a local council would probably provide the funding and a track would be built. THEN the flow on effect would begin with other Little A's clubs claiming they need a track because one of their neighbors has one....

But without the state Little A's support it will never happen.

I believe South Australia should have about 8 to 10 synthetic tracks including one in Mt Gambier, another in Port Augusta or Whyalla, and maybe one other in Port Lincoln. Adelaide and its surrounding suburbs needs about 6 tracks to service the various clubs and running groups in Adelaide.

7 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 pm

youngy wrote:
This is symptomatic of the 'Adelaide way' of thinking. Just have one track because a few clubs are struggling for numbers.....

Victoria has nearly 30 synthetic tracks but less than a third are used for any form of regular school or senior competition.

Victoria has many small clubs struggling for numbers but go to any one of the three metropolitan meets on a Saturday afternoon and you will find hundreds of athletes engaged in competition.

Vic is a smaller size state with 3 and a half times the population of SA's aging population, and expected to grow by 50% in the next 20 years. So I guess it makes sense that they have 3 metro meets on any given Saturday.
As I mentioned I agree more tracks would be useful for little A's and school comps and potentially grow the sport.
It would hardly be smart of ASA to have seniors held at 2 or 3 locations. There are few clubs that have the numbers to compete for points, with many struggling with numbers which is another issue.
Interested to know how many synthetic tracks QLD or WA have?

Last edited by over35er on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : damn quote thing I can never get right)

8 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:25 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I think Over 35'er and I are on a different tangent. I'm not advocating for three metropolitan venues to be going simultaneously, although purpose built athletic venues in Port Augusta and Mt Gambier would stimulate interest in athletics in those regions and alleviate the travel problems athletes have in those country regions.

What I'm suggesting is several more venues strategically placed around Adelaide that would host a Little A's club and be a training venue for a senior club. Occasionally they could run a meeting that wouldn't clash with what's on at SANTOS.

If for instance, about 200 new athletes wanted to come into athletics each season for the next 5 seasons, the sport would struggle to cope with its current infrastructure. Build the venues now and allow the sport to evolve.

If Salisbury get their own synthetic track, I would think that its club would soon become the biggest in this state and dominate the competitions. It would be a massive advantage over other clubs and good luck to them.

9 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am

JB

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
QLD has at least 5 tracks with 3 in Brisbane from memory.

WA has 2- 1 in Perth and 1 in Bunbury (that most people don't know about). There is also plans to get another track (to be used as a warm up track) near the current track at Challenge Stadium in preparation for the World Masters Champs. On top of that the new stadium in the works at Burswood still has the potential to include an athletics track in it... not sure how it will work as it will also be used for AFL but we'll see how that plays out in the next year or so.

10 Re: A northern SA track, one day!! on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I think we were Youngy. Tell you what, if Tea Tree Gully Little A's wanted a synthetic track I'd be up for it, anything would be better than the track we have atm, not enough is done to prepare it after being churned up after the footy season. The council wouldnt be up for it though as the TTG football club and cricket club use the oval as well.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum