PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Melissa Breen backs 'B' team to help young athletes

Melissa Breen backs 'B' team to help young athletes

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/breen-backs-b-team-to-help-young-athletes-20121031-28kot.html#ixzz2Aukqwpjw

Breen backs 'B' team to help young athletes

By Jon Tuxworth
Canberra Times
Date November 1, 2012

Melissa Breen trains at the AIS on Wednesday.
Photo: Colleen Petch

Canberra sprinter Melissa Breen has backed calls for B-qualified athletes to be selected for the next Olympics, insisting it will prevent more youngsters from quitting the sport.

Breen endured an agonising wait to win selection for this year's Olympics when she fell short of the 100 metres A-qualifying time by just 0.002 seconds at a meeting in Japan.

Despite her near miss, Athletics Australia used its discretionary power to give her the nod.

The governing body recently announced B-qualified athletes would be chosen for next year's world championships in Russia, and the policy could be retained for the 2016 Olympics.

While the month-long wait for that phone call confirming her Olympic place was torture, Breen said the policy was not only in her best interests, but that of the sport.

''For the younger ones coming through, the juniors looking to make their first open team, it can seem daunting having to make that one [A-qualifier] time,'' the 22-year-old Breen said. ''The 'B' is still quick, but it's not as overwhelming and hopefully that will keep the kids in the sport a bit longer.

''I think it's great because it bridges the gap a bit more. You go from a junior into any other track or field events and they see these 'A' qualifiers that are beyond what they think they can do at that stage.''

Breen believes this will help counter the lure of bigger money in other sports. Olympics shot putter Dale Stevenson quit athletics earlier this month to join Super Rugby club Melbourne Rebels.

''It's sad to see someone leave because our team's not massive; we had only about 50 [54] in the team for the Olympics. I was down at my old club, Tuggeranong Little Athletics, the other morning helping out. There's so many in the younger age groups but when you get up to under-14s there's really not that many.

''There's so many options for them, maybe with team sports they'd rather go and play with their friends than run track.''

Breen, her coach, Matt Beckenham, and training partner Lauren Boden spread the gospel at local clubs to keep youngsters involved in athletics. The Olympics card is the ace in their pack.

''The Olympics are [only] for certain sports,'' Breen said.

She said athletes would not become complacent knowing B-qualifications could be enough to realise their Olympics dream. She did concede her own Olympics preparation would have changed had the policy been in place.

''Had they selected B-qualifiers they would have done so after the trials in February,'' Breen said. ''That would have changed things completely because I would have been named in the team then, rather than thinking I had to keep chasing.

''I don't think people will get complacent … say two athletes have a B time. You can't take two, so you're always striving for more.''

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum