PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Chris "Fargo" Perry

Chris "Fargo" Perry

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Chris "Fargo" Perry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:06 am

ShaneMcK

I have just learned that 1982 Stawell Gift winner (and Bendigo winner as well as Australian Commonwealth Games representative), Chris Perry, coach of the infamous "Dirty Dozen" back in the 90s, has passed away. I am still waiting on details, but thoughts are with Shirley and Thomas.

Fargo, was my 2nd coach (back in 1993) and has remained a valued friend all this time. He will be greatly missed. Many of you will remember him as one of the commentators at Stawell each year.

As more information comes to hand, I will share it with the Pro Running community.

Chris Perry Right, winning the 1982 Stawell Gift Ahead of Mick Giulieri

T: twitter.com/ShaneMcKenzie | C: Athletics Australia iCoach Profile
http://www.shanemckenzie.com

2 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks Shane.

Heard the news last night from Harry Webster and I was pretty shook up about it, especially as it was so sudden.

I saw Chris at Stawell who had his son Thomas with him. Seemed to be going well and enjoying his young bloke's school and sporting endeavours.

Incredibly sad news and condolecences to Chris's family.

3 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Billy

Terrible news, very sad. Chris was a great guy and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

He was someone I admired for not only his achievements on the track but for his willingness to try and give something back to the sport as a coach, administrator and in the media.

Looked forward to seeing him each year at Stawell and at the odd event in between. He was always interested in what you had to say, had something interesting to say and had a genuine love of the sport.

I bumped into him only 2 weeks ago at the Preliminary Final at the MCG. We had a quick beer prior to the game and he was his usual cheerful self and looking forward to a good game of footy. He has passed well before his time.

RIP

4 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm

mwebster

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Last night I was informed of the passing of an "old rival", training partner, friend & mate in Chris "Fargo" Perry.

The past 24 hours has been a sad time for me, but also a good time reflecting the time that I was part of Chris's adventure in the sport of athletics.

His feats of winning the Stawell Gift in 1982 and the Bendigo Gift in 1984 along with representing Australia with John Dinan at the Edinburgh Commonwealth Games will be in the record books for ever, just as he will be in my thoughts.

Our time, along with many others of the successful Neil "SIO" King group during the 1908's will fondly remember him for his professionalism on the track and his sometimes "funny sense of humor" off the track. I could tell you of many stories of "Fargo" but I would need much more time and space to do this.

To be going about your normal routine and then suddenly being taken from us is a cruel thing and at a young age of 53, life for "Fargo" was cut way too short.

Over the past few years our meetings had been limited to seeing each other at Stawell, where he was a great commentator of the "Gift", but over a "beer or two" the conversations were both entertaining and informative.

To Shirley and young Thomas, my thoughts are with you in this sad time as are many that knew "Fargo".

Vale "Fargo"

5 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:50 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Five Stawell Gift Semis from 1982 with Chris Perry's emphatic win in the fifth semi as convincing a semi win as you'll see at Stawell.

Chris Perry was a 21 year old footballer from Malvern who was discovered by Gary Gray and referred to Neil King in 1981. He entered the 1981 Stawell Gift but did not accept and therefore did not compete.

The first I noticed him was the 1982 Burnie Gift where Chris competed in the 90m Novice. There were rumours about him flying in trials under Kingy and ultimately Crackers Keenan was probably the one that really let the cat out of the bag to prevent the SIO sqad from getting big odds on Perry who was a novice when he placed his blocks for his heat of the 1982 Stawell Gift. His heat win is etched in my memory as it was absolutely superb. Despite being in the sport for a relatively short period and with very little race experience, Perry was beautifully turned out by Kingy; his opening run was electrifying, smooth and tall with a flawless action, he strode to the line winning by the best part of 10m.

Perry epitomised the excitement and mystique of the Stawell Gift - the raw novice kept under wraps until he was ready, and then bang!

One of the most worthy, accomplished and stylish Stawell Gift winners in the 130 year odd history of the event.

Perry retired with a very respectable 100m PB of 10.34.

Sadly now, the two Neil King trained athletes who were in that memorable 1982 final - Perry and Grant Riddoch (4th) have passed on. Both were class both on and off the track.

6 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Delved through some old tapes and found the following Chris Perry race highlights. I apologise for the quality but they were filmed off the TV with an IPad.

The final of the 1982 Stawell Gift won by Chris Perry.

1st Chris Perry White (7.00)
2nd Michael Giuleri Green (9.75)
3rd Brett Glassford Yellow (8.00)
4th Grant Riddoch Red (5.50)
5th Stuart Guest Blue (7.50)
Time: 12.19

The final of the 1984 Bendigo 5000 won by Chris Perry

3rd Semi Final of the 1983 Stawell Gift won by Chris Perry

7 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Nice tribute from Inside Athletics.

http://www.insideathletics.com.au/17-other/10080-vale-chris-perry

Vale Chris Perry
Created on 06 October 2012
Written by Inside Athletics

Chris Perry, former Stawell Gift winner, died suddenly yesterday, aged 53.

He won the 1982 Stawell Gift off a handicap of 7 metres in a time of 12.19 seconds, before finishing fourth the following year behind now Athletics Australia CEO Dallas O’Brien.

Later in his career Perry, along with John Dinan, was the first ‘professional’ runners to represent Australia, when selected for the 1986 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh, Scotland after a hard fought battle to compete against ‘amateur’ athletes.

Perry was a regular commentator at Australia’s richest footrace, and this year reminisced to the Herald Sun's Scott Gullan about his victory at Stawell 30 years ago.

"We were staying just up the road, only four doors down and my trainer Neil King said to go and have a bit of a lie down after the semi-final," Perry told Gullan.

"So I had a lie down and fell asleep. Neil thought I must have already gone back to the track but I was still asleep.

“People at the track thought I'd scratched but I got there about 15 minutes before the final. I did one stride through, a blocks start, put my spikes on and away we went.”

For his efforts Perry won a dishwasher and a winner’s cheque of $12,000.

Stawell Gift promoter David Culbert, who was a team mate of Perry at the 1986 Commonwealth Games, remembered Perry as a ‘trail blazer in athletics, a travelling companion and teammate’ via his Facebook page.

“It was always great working with him at Stawell,” Culbert wrote.

“He celebrated 30 years of his Stawell Gift win this year and did his best ever broadcast of the event.

“He will be missed. We will celebrate him at Central Park in 2013.”

8 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2012/october/vale_christopher_chris_perr

AA WEBSITE

VALE: Christopher 'Chris' Perry

Athletics Australia is deeply saddened to announce the sudden passing of Christopher ‘Chris’ Perry on Friday.

The winner of the Stawell Gift in 1982 off a handicap of seven metres and in a time of 12.19, Perry is also well known for his hard fought battle to compete alongside ‘amateur’ athletes as a ‘professional runner’.

His efforts were rewarded in 1986 when he was selected to compete in the 100m at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh (SC0), he placed 15th overall, and the men’s 4x100m relay.

Domestically, Perry won two Australian championship medal in the men’s 100m. His first came in 1986 when he won silver in 10.69 (w: -2.9), before one year later again crossing second in the final in a time of 10.36 (w: +1.8.).

Athletics Australia, its Board of Directors, management team and staff extend our most sincere condolences to Chris’ family and friends. While our words today may not ease your sadness, the legacy left behind by this formidable athlete will bring happiness for you and many others for years to come.

Chris’ funeral will be held in the coming days with details to be made available as they come to hand.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

9 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 am

ShaneMcK

Hi All,

The funeral notice still hasn't been published, but keep an eye on The Age Obituaries

In the centre column, look for "Funeral Notices", I have been told it will be posted here.

T: twitter.com/ShaneMcKenzie | C: Athletics Australia iCoach Profile
http://www.shanemckenzie.com

10 Re: Chris "Fargo" Perry on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Trackstar

Chris Perry's funeral details.

Wednesday (Oct 17) at 11 a.m.

Members Dining Room at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Brunton Avenue, East Melbourne.

Entry via Gate 2.

11 My Aussie Mate on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Dave Clark

Deeply saddened and shocked to hear the news about the untimely passing of Chris .
I first met Chris on my first of many visits to Australia in 1982 the year he won Stawell which began a lifelong friendship . Chris would stay with me whenever he came to Edinburgh and was much loved by my family and friends . He was best man at my wedding, a tremendous help to me throughout my athletic career and a great friend, I will miss him dearly.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum